Thread: Telica (Len) to San Isidro (Estel or Matagalpa)

Default Telica (Len) to San Isidro (Estel or Matagalpa)

Road report...a few months old (this was in May, 2009). Thought it might be useful to someone....

Telica a San Isidro and nostalgia.

About a year ago we went to Matagalpa va the road between Telica and San Isidro (it's close to Len). It was horrendous!!! So bad that we decided to go down to Managua and back up to Chinandega on the way back, instead of punishing the car and ourselves on that horrendous road.

Well, two friends of ours got married on Saturday so off to Matagalpa again....Dave Moore told me that the road was a lot better now (someone had told him). I asked and asked and asked and could not find good up to date information. So, this is for all of you who may travel between Len, Chinandega and Estel, Ocotal or Matagalpa.

Please do feel free to use the road. It is sooooo much better now. Let me break it down for you:

The road is about 100 km. I am describing things from West to East.
    Telica (0 km) to El Jicaral (54 km) - great - smooth as glass.
    El Jicaral (54 km) to Finca San Augustn (64 km) - acceptable. A bit rough and a lot of gravel but they are working on it!!! So most of the potholes have been taken out....
    Finca San Augustn (64 km)to Puente Las Mangas (93 km) - great - smooth as glass.
    The last 7 km aren't bad - it's basically the good part of the old road. Fortunately they are working on it too.

This 100 km road should be like new by Feb 2010, according to my sources. Makes going to that side of the country a lot more appealing now!!! Total time was 90 minutes.

I must admit that I got nostalgic when I starting seeing the wonderful mountains in the Estel, Sbaco, Matagalpa area. I lived there three years some time back in Matagalpa and another two years even farther back in Estel. You know that nostalgic feeling that gives you a real hollow spot in your stomach - and it is dullfully painful, but you don't stop thinking about it because you kind of like the dull pain. That's nostalgia, I guess. And I have it.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Telica (Len) to San Isidro (Estel or Matagalpa)

Nice post Brodder, but you forgot the Spanish....

You are slipping.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Nice post Brodder, but you forgot the Spanish....

You are slipping.....
    My blogs originally started as English posts only. This post was from that time period. Only later did I realize the advantage I would have in Google and Bing search engines if I did it bilingually. Little did I realize that it would serve my posting cravings on TRN too!!!

[I am exposing myself to some conservative political attacks - insinuating a capitalistic motive for my translations]

At any rate, my bilingualism is not retroactive. It could be but it's late and that post is too long.

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

Being from Chinandega we use the road going to malpasillo and beyond. However this road is only repaired to malpasillo from there it gets horrendous all the way to the main highway that connects you to Esteli and south to Matagalpa. Travel time between Chinandega and matagalpa is 2 1/2 hours if using this route through Malpasillo. Thanks for the tip, I will now use the road you just mentioned from Telica and beyond, looks much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    Being from Chinandega we use the road going to malpasillo and beyond. However this road is only repaired to malpasillo from there it gets horrendous all the way to the main highway that connects you to Esteli and south to Matagalpa. Travel time between Chinandega and matagalpa is 2 1/2 hours if using this route through Malpasillo. Thanks for the tip, I will now use the road you just mentioned from Telica and beyond, looks much much better.
    It's the same road!!! It has been improved tremendously. Now it is a recommended route, in my book.