Thread: Dual Sim phones - Pros and Cons and FYIs

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Dual Sim phones - Pros and Cons and FYIs

Hi Folks

After reading Aarons' post on using a Dual SIM Cell, and poking around DealsExtreme, I am thinking on picking one up for the prep kit for our next trip.

I also noticed that Dual SIM phones had yet to be mentioned in Cell phone threads here..

So ..

(BTW - Aaron, please chime in if I am misrepresenting anything I have looked up so far)

First we all know how frustrating it is to watch you min drop to zero as soon as you have to call a family or friend on "the other" network..

On our last trip we took 2 old Nokia's and spent over $20 a week keeping them topped.. (We were on Claro)

A dual SIM phone will allow you to carry 2 SIMs at once with 2 distinct numbers..

Pro's
    1) More talk time to the other person
    2) Only having to carry one phone for both networks

Draw backs
    1) Most "affordable phones" ($50 and up) are "Standby" . This means when you are on Claro you have no Movistar access and vice versa.
    2) You have to pay for 2 cards (Given)
    3) You have to manage 2 cards (Balances, top-ups etc etc)

So far the 2 "Pros" far outweigh the "draw backs for us..

Probably we will buy one dual, and carry down one of the old single card phones for our pool and sign up the pair on the Ntwk with the best phone to phone deal and one for talking to others..

Here is the Cheap Dual Sim page from DealExtreme
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dual Sim phones - Pros and Cons and FYIs

I remember my first trip to Nicaragua in 1996, the thing I loved the most was being totally out of touch with the rest of the world. Phone calls to the US were very difficult, very little TV access, internet was in its infancy there. It was actually like I was traveling somewhere different from home. How times have changed!

I remember my first trip to Nicaragua in 1996, the thing I loved the most was being totally out of touch with the rest of the world.
    Two years ago I was on Ometepe and felt that I was totally off the grid..then I realized that my cell was still working.

Took the experience down just a tad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago John View Post
    Two years ago I was on Ometepe and felt that I was totally off the grid..then I realized that my cell was still working.

Took the experience down just a tad.
    Next time try Zapatera. You can only get a phone signal there if you climb all the way to the top of the island, stand on one foot, and pray.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc
    Next time try Zapatera
    Just may have to do that. If everything works out (empty seats on DL) I'll be down sometime around the 1st of Feb.

Will that boat of yours make it out there ?

Blog Entries

So this is what we finally settled on this little fella

Its a Nokia (E71i?) knock off.

Borrowed a couple SIM cards from co-workers and it booted fine and made and received calls from both SIM ports.

On Stand buy it will wait for calls on both networks. Once a call is received the other sim rings up "busy"

Comes with 2 batteries, Charges from a standard USB "B" plug, comes with a 1GB tf card for movies and stills.

Even has a cheesy FM radio (which really does not work well)

I spent a portion of today searching out a new cell phone, I had purchased both my wife and myself similar Nokia phones that cost U$40 dollars (for Claro chips) about a year ago. One of these had a little incident that involved water, so we are now down to just 1 cell phone.

Claro used to have a wide range of prices for their cell phones, the cheapest being U$12 dollars and the most expensive being upwards of U$500. Today, everywhere I looked, claro had either U$20-U$35 dollar phones that had embedded chips or U$110 + phones. There was nothing in between. I may just have to get something like this, because I am not going to pay U$100 dollars for one of their phones.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    I spent a portion of today searching out a new cell phone, I had purchased both my wife and myself similar Nokia phones that cost U$40 dollars (for Claro chips) about a year ago. One of these had a little incident that involved water, so we are now down to just 1 cell phone.

Claro used to have a wide range of prices for their cell phones, the cheapest being U$12 dollars and the most expensive being upwards of U$500. Today, everywhere I looked, claro had either U$20-U$35 dollar phones that had embedded chips or U$110 + phones. There was nothing in between. I may just have to get something like this, because I am not going to pay U$100 dollars for one of their phones.
    go to plaza inter..on the first floor,,not the bottom floor..when u get off the escalator walk straight ahead..there is a indepent cell company..they have claros for under $20 with changeable chips..a lot of times there phones are unlocked

Blog Entries

Fast forward 5 yrs and how have things changed..

You can now get a dual SIM android phone for $57US.. Ships from New Jersey

EBAY cell phone

Will probably use it for internet as well , foregoing the SIM card for the 3G stick this trip.

Android wireless tether has been pretty flawless since Android 4.0 (Typing this on a Laptop tethered via an Android phone right now)

Banter on Fazebook states you can get the same phone around Metro Centro for $80US..

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Fast forward 5 yrs and how have things changed..

You can now get a dual SIM android phone for $57US.. Ships from New Jersey

EBAY cell phone

Will probably use it for internet as well , foregoing the SIM card for the 3G stick this trip.

Android wireless tether has been pretty flawless since Android 4.0 (Typing this on a Laptop tethered via an Android phone right now)

Banter on Fazebook states you can get the same phone around Metro Centro for $80US..

Could you forgo the Claro USB stick and use the Android phone to feed a laptop ? Speed would be comparable ?
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 as does my manager and accountant. We all lhave a postpago plan that includes internet and text.
    I would probably have to bump the internet availability, but still might work better than what I currently have.

That could be quite a deal, phone is always with you, plug it into any computer and have internet ?
    Would it feed my Samsung tablet as well, it's an android OS too. Easier than carrying around a laptop.

I may be able to do away with my flaky IBW that is costing me $55 /month and is down as much as it is up.
    And SLOW! I've never got what they have promised me.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Could you forgo the Claro USB stick and use the Android phone to feed a laptop ? Speed would be comparable ?

That could be quite a deal, phone is always with you, plug it into any computer and have internet ?
    I tether my android using a free app from getjar, its called the wifi hotspot tether , works on any computer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 as does my manager and accountant. We all lhave a postpago plan that includes internet and text.
    I would probably have to bump the internet availability, but still might work better than what I currently have.

Our input data (When I run a data test on the phone to cell data) is about 5mb/s.. Then when I run a speed test on a wireless device tethered by WiFi to the phone it indicates 2mb/s.

I have never got more than 2mb/s in Nica.

Most phones can handle 2 or 4 devices connected and not much data difference.

At the camp here we watch Don Francisco every Saturday in SD quality and it seems to hold up (only 2 more shows before he hangs up the Mic)

Got an email that the phone shipped today - will post pix (screen grabs) on how to set it up once it arrives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alki View Post
    I tether my android using a free app from getjar, its called the wifi hotspot tether , works on any computer
    Android has had native wifi teathering since 4.0..

There is USB tethering that is native to windows (for your lap top or PC) above win 7, and then USB tether selected on the phone - I would bet it is faster but I have never measured it.

I can watch movies/videos without buffering with 3g most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Android has had native wifi teathering since 4.0..

There is USB tethering that is native to windows (for your lap top or PC) above win 7, and then USB tether selected on the phone - I would bet it is faster but I have never measured it.

Really good info, this could solve a lot of people's internet access issues. I never would have though of it, all though I receive emails on my phone.
    I avoid internet access other than email, as it sucks the allowance I have on my plan. That allowance CAN be increased, in increments starting at $2.95 up to $19 /month.