Thread: WASTE

Blog Entries

Default WASTE

Last night I noticed some 6-10 tortillas dumped in our trash. We buy fresh tortillas every morning from a vender who walks the neighborhood singing "Tortillas" in such a fashion that all I hear clearly is "eeeeee-yaaas." They're hand-made (thicker than the machine rolled ones in Mexico) and delicious when fresh (in the morning) and cost one cord each (less than a nickel). By the end of the day they go stale, stiff, hard to chew. So part of me understands the toss.

Yet it bugs the other part of me. I was brought up not to waste anything. "Clean your plate! People in China are starving!" (Yes, I grew up hearing that cliché.) My brother and I used to fight over the biggest cuts (when there was meat -- usually pork chops) or the odd extra fish stick or more macaroni & cheese or the thickest slice of fried Spam. "Waste not, want not." I really believe it. (And nobody in my Nica family believes we were once ´poor', saving, stretching our budget. By definition, all gringos are rich.) It seemed to me that some kind of lasagna or casserole could have been made from stale tortilla, no? There are no pigs wandering León, jodido, within 20+ blocks of La Perla Hotel (so much for pearls before swine). And lately I see fewer & fewer emaciated dogs running free here.

Match that with my preconception of the second poorest country in the hemisphere. (As if being the poorest weren't enough, those poor, poor Haitians really got stomped down when Atlas shrugged.) From afar, what did I see? A cute, dirty-faced, little, brown-skinned girl with beautifully limpid wide-eyes and a soiled, torn dress; with the celestial voice-over saying, "For a few cents a day she could have enough to eat (it all depends on YOU, generous viewer)." These are not the images of people who would waste food. No way, José. That was my preconception, I say, weaned from the proverbial glass teat.

My Nica family is poor by all standard measures. I should say WAS, before I married their daughter/sister/mother. When we met, she worked alone in an hospedaje with a high turnover of guests, cleaning all sheets by hand, scrubbing floors & toilets daily, of 8 rooms (two with 3 beds), 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hour days, for 1200 cords per month ($60). She sent money to her mother for her kids. She even managed the place alone, on two of her days 'off' (after we met when we were to go sightseeing), showing rooms and taking in renters, cause the manager skipped out. I soon 'rescued' her, or, should I say, stoled from the owners (whom I confronted); a year & a half later we married.

Her family lives in a shack with an outhouse in the "Projects" of a village in the mountains of Matagalpa. Her father has been "dying" since I've known her. He gets a Nicaraguan social security check; however, and unfortunately for the family, none of what he receives goes for food, clothes or bills. He's addicted to Tramadol, a CNS pain reliever, a narcotic, and spends everything on his addiction. (Local pharmacies supply him on credit when he can't make it into Matagalpa to pick up his checks and cash them.) So monthly I send her momma money.

Momma also takes care of my wife's sister's three 'fatherless' kids, while she works in CR. (The father of two lives in the village, but he's married. Though he's rich and was single when he got sis pregnant, he (they, his family) would never consider (his) marrying a girl from the poor part of town, nor helping with his kids upbringing. In my eyes, it's typical Nicaraguan culture: many of the poor are as close to being treated as untouchables (though puta material) by the rich of this country as is possible in this hemisphere. Not just the super-rich who rule & own most of the place, and control production & importation, but the SUV crowd blowing by on $4/gal gas, where a common laborer doesn't earn $4 a day. For the same reason China refuses to allow its currency to increase in value, workers in Nicaragua are kept poor, uneducated continually reproducing and living in the dirt. Profit. It's human lives being wasted.)

So yes, I was surprised when I first saw them leave food on their plates, especially when I took them all out to nice restaurants. I guess I still haven't got used to it. I used to say something to them; no more. It does no good. Nicaragua has a year round growing season. It's been my observation in 4 years here that nobody goes hungry. People share, especially the poor. There’s plenty to eat. Nicaragua even exports food.

Still, regardless of what others do, I still clean my plate.

Default Re: WASTE

Tortilla soup............great stuff!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Tortilla soup............great stuff!
    Thanks Bob . . . . that's a great idea. Upon looking up recipes, I must ask --¿ Is that the one made with chicken feet? We got the achiote & cilantro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Thanks Bob . . . . that's a great idea. Upon looking up recipes, I must ask --¿ Is that the one made with chicken feet? We got the achiote & cilantro.
    I don't believe that I saw chicken feets in that to which I dearly love. It does have chicken parts (whole meat), green onions, cheese, celery and other spices, to which I alway add picante for more heat.

A chain of restaurants here in Texas, On The Border, serves this up with the tortilla slices. Maybe they have a recipe online?

Blog Entries

Nica tortillas can be recycled to be used for many things.

• Frisbees (limited use due to the frangibility, but biodegradable)
    • Skeet shooting (ideal because of the frangibility)
    • Pig feed
    • Edged defensive weapons (with a little honing)

Nice post Daddy. I hate to waste anything. Take the tortillas and cut em up into strips, fry in a little hot oil untill they start crisping up and then scramble up some eggs with 'em. Sometimes I'll add a little grated cheese, peppers, onions hot sauce ...what ever's around.

Another option is chilliquiles
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chilaquiles/

Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I sent to you a sight, official of the receipts....and now I can't find it again. Please post for all to review.

Default Fried Tortilla? Tortilla chips.

EXcellent article I also hate to waste food, I grew up hearing "remember the starving children of Ethiopia" and similar stuff. At home we considered a kind of sin to waste de tortilla border. We use to make tortilla chips for dinner, sometimes my wife makes enchiladas, my fave: chilaquiiiilesss!!! I found an article you might find interesting. Saludos.

"Today is a good day for an airstrike"

Blog

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gaston Says......

No food is bad......

I too Daddy Yo Hate to see waste.......

And I don't give a $hit, I will ask for a doggy bag, and eat it myself later......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Gaston Says......

No food is bad......

I too Daddy Yo Hate to see waste.......

And I don't give a $hit, I will ask for a doggy bag, and eat it myself later......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I will have to join the chorus... I too believe in cleaning my plate. Must have gotten that from my mom, who often would remind us of how poor she grew up. I can't recall ever going to bed hungry myself, but mom would tirelessly remind us to not waste. To this day, I believe she has a small sign posted on her refrigerator that reads,

"Use it up
    Wear it out
    Make it do
    Or do without!"

All the children (nieces, nephews, etc.) who have ever spent the night at our house are reminded of our "rule" when it comes to meals, and most can recite it verbatim. "Take what you want, but eat what you take!"

Blog Entries

My Mom had 11 brothers and sisters and all clothes were recycled. We would all get together on Thanksgiving and we would always bring clothes that were outgrown and get them into the hands of younger cousins.....That was simply the way it was then. Wish there was more of that now.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    I will have to join the chorus... I too believe in cleaning my plate. Must have gotten that from my mom, who often would remind us of how poor she grew up. I can't recall ever going to bed hungry myself, but mom would tirelessly remind us to not waste. To this day, I believe she has a small sign posted on her refrigerator that reads,

"Use it up
    Wear it out
    Make it do
    Or do without!"

All the children (nieces, nephews, etc.) who have ever spent the night at our house are reminded of our "rule" when it comes to meals, and most can recite it verbatim. "Take what you want, but eat what you take!"
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    My Mom had 11 brothers and sisters and all clothes were recycled. We would all get together on Thanksgiving and we would always bring clothes that were outgrown and get them into the hands of younger cousins.....That was simply the way it was then. Wish there was more of that now.
    Yep, were 9 of us children. I wore hand me downs all of my life. Funny, even today I prefer my old tattered clothing to the new stuff that my wife forces me to wear.
    I would guess that this upbringing made me the conservative that I am today. Worked for everything we have.

I've got a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of that in the near future.

Blog Entries

You guy;s are so right......

I never knew what new stuff was either.......

HaimHype

Default minecraft golem chicago web design

If you're in Winetka, you really need to find the best service provider to work with your kitchen/bathroom renovation. remodeling Oak Park So together with your selected Winetka remodeling - kitchen bathroom basement company, you're certain they can supply you with the best service which you deserve.