Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

  1. #1

    Default Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    I'm attempting to iron out the finances for my upcoming trip, and the only unknown variable at this point is the cost of traveling from place to place using buses within Nicaragua.

    The http://www.thebusschedule.com/ni/ site tells me when buses will travel from place to place but not how much they cost. Does anyone know of a site that would give me this information?

    If there isn't such a site, then I'll ask those of you in country for any information that you can give me about the cost of traveling by chicken bus between cities (all cities).

    Specifically, I'm looking for how much it costs to travel these routes:

    Managua to Puerto Cabezas
    Managua to El Rama
    Managua to Rivas
    Managua to Leon

    Thanks!
    Soy el chele mono.

  2. #2
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    MGA to Puerto Cabezas.... Around 350 Cordobas
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  3. #3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I'm attempting to iron out the finances for my upcoming trip, and the only unknown variable at this point is the cost of traveling from place to place using buses within Nicaragua.

    The http://www.thebusschedule.com/ni/ site tells me when buses will travel from place to place but not how much they cost. Does anyone know of a site that would give me this information?

    If there isn't such a site, then I'll ask those of you in country for any information that you can give me about the cost of traveling by chicken bus between cities (all cities).

    Specifically, I'm looking for how much it costs to travel these routes:

    Managua to Puerto Cabezas
    Managua to El Rama
    Managua to Rivas
    Managua to Leon

    Thanks!
    From Managua to anywhere on the Pacific Side of Nicaragua, your bus passage should be under U$5 dollars per person. For instance from Managua-Rivas-SJDS on the express bus is 60 cordobas. From Managua to Jinotega, I believe is closer to 80 cordobas. From Managua to Masaya is 20 cords on the express, from Managua to Jinotepe 24 cordobas, from Managua to Masachapa 25 cordobas plus or minus.

    Never took the bus to PC or El Rama.

    I forget the price of Managua to Leon but it should probably be about 30-40 or so cordobas on an express.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    In the last two years I've bussed it to both Rivas and Leon from MGA. I don't remember what I paid but it was no more than a few dollars.
    For Leon go UCA (Univ.Central America) and get on a mini bus/van. There dosent seem to be a set schedule, the vans take off as they fill and go non-stop to Leon.
    For Rivas I took a bus from Mercado Huembes to Granada and then took another bus to Rivas. Again I don't recall paying more than a couple of dollars.
    If you don't already have a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide get one , I fond it to be really helpful.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1741047587/?tag=awaycom-20

  5. #5
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    The nonstop part doesn't exist, not in my experience anyway, they stop at every Hog path along the way.....

    But Dam, and not the river kind, I met a lot of interesting people...

    That was the object of my travels anyway.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  6. #6

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Hey JW, how long is the trip from Las Minas to Port ? I'm thinking of flying into Bonanza , bussin it to Port and flying back to MGA.

  7. #7
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Oh Jesus, you have asked me the 64 dollar question......

    10 or 12 hours.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  8. #8

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Oh Jesus, you have asked me the 64 dollar question......

    10 or 12 hours.......
    Hmmm....just may have to rethink that one.

  9. #9
    Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Downey, California
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    From Managua to anywhere on the Pacific Side of Nicaragua, your bus passage should be under U$5 dollars per person. For instance from Managua-Rivas-SJDS on the express bus is 60 cordobas. From Managua to Jinotega, I believe is closer to 80 cordobas. From Managua to Masaya is 20 cords on the express, from Managua to Jinotepe 24 cordobas, from Managua to Masachapa 25 cordobas plus or minus.

    Never took the bus to PC or El Rama.

    I forget the price of Managua to Leon but it should probably be about 30-40 or so cordobas on an express.
    The one way fare for a bus from Managua to Chinandega is 55 cordobas. Its been a while since I been on one but I remember all the smelly people on the bus which has no air conditioning. Some buses have those high back seats and some buses will show a movie on a DVD player with the screen up and above and in front of the bus.

  10. #10
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Hahaha, the part I don't like is that freakin Mexican Ranchero music playing all night to keep the driver awake......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  11. #11

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Hahaha, the part I don't like is that freakin Mexican Ranchero music playing all night to keep the driver awake......
    I love that stuff--just part of the flavor.

    Thanks for all of the feedback. This site really is one of a kind.
    Soy el chele mono.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago John View Post
    ..how long is the trip from Las Minas to Port ?..
    From Siuna 218 km - 135,46 miles
    Straight distance 154.66 Km


    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Today is a good day for an airstrike"

    Blog

  13. #13
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by gaudali View Post
    From Siuna 218 km - 135,46 miles
    Straight distance 154.66 Km


    .......

    We are not talking about miles or kilometers or as the crow flies here.......

    We are talking about hours of self inflicted abuse, bad roads, buses in bad shape, many times not getting out of first gear along the way........


    Flat tires, stopping at every mud hole to replenish the radiator.....

    I think Thom will back me up here.....

    And the good people you meet along the way......

    It is diffidently an adventure to write home about....


    Everyone should do it at least once
    ....

    Personaly I highly recommend the trip you are planning....

    All the way from MGA no.....

    But the way you have it planed out, I think is about right.....


    Oh and take a camera
    ......

    You must do a trip report for us....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  14. #14

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    ooops

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    .......

    We are not talking about miles or kilometers or as the crow flies here.......

    We are talking about hours of self inflicted abuse, bad roads, buses in bad shape, many times not getting out of first gear along the way........


    Flat tires, stopping at every mud hole to replenish the radiator.....

    I think Thom will back me up here.....

    And the good people you meet along the way......

    It is diffidently an adventure to write home about....


    Everyone should do it at least once
    ....

    Personaly I highly recommend the trip you are planning....

    All the way from MGA no.....

    But the way you have it planed out, I think is about right.....


    Oh and take a camera
    ......

    You must do a trip report for us....
    "Today is a good day for an airstrike"

    Blog

  15. #15
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Gaudali... Don't take offense, but that map got me tickled, Anyone looking at it would think, Hey, not far, and a major highway...... During rainy season it could take a week.....
    Last edited by Just Plain John Wayne; 01-23-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  16. #16

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Thanks JW, the guide book I've been reading says something along the lines of 5 to 6hrs. I figured I better ask the guy whos done it
    I've only got about 7 days or so for this trip and am trying to get the most bang for my bucks !

  17. #17
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    When are your plans, during dry time that is about right........

    But if it is rainy season, well, I have my doubts knowing the roads and the barge river crossing to be made at Wawa Boom.....

    No joke, I have seen it the barge couldn't make the crossing for three or four days waiting for the swollen river to go down.....

    Of course you can take a Battou across as some do, and catch another bus into Port, but there is the added risk......

    Not a big risk, but it is there, most of the time a hold up with the crossing.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  18. #18

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    If I pull this trip off it will be next week. Fly in to Bonanza then bus to La Rosita and another bus to Port. Books says 4 to 6 hrs from Rosita to Port.
    The one thing that may screw me up is the flight form up here. I used to work for Delta and still fly free (stand-by)on them.
    Right now the trip home is not looking so good.

  19. #19
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Ahhh, perfect timing, So far right now I will be free on Tuesday and after, need to make a quick trip to MGA on Sunday (I think) and will return on Tuesday.....

    Enjoy the adventure......

    There should not be a flooded Wawa river or mudholes in the way to slow things down....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  20. #20
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Ahhh, perfect timing, So far right now I will be free on Tuesday and after, need to make a quick trip to MGA on Sunday (I think) and will return on Tuesday.....

    Enjoy the adventure......

    There should not be a flooded Wawa river or mudholes in the way to slow things down....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  21. #21

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    I found and have been referencing the following site for travel costs:

    http://www.vianica.com

    (specifically)

    http://www.vianica.com/transportation.php

    I'm impressed with the detail here, but that doesn't allways equate to authenticity. Does this check out with you all?
    Soy el chele mono.

  22. #22
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Inter-Nicaragua buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    I found and have been referencing the following site for travel costs:

    http://www.vianica.com

    (specifically)

    http://www.vianica.com/transportation.php

    I'm impressed with the detail here, but that doesn't allways equate to authenticity. Does this check out with you all?
    The prices look about right.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM
  2. New buses...
    By Richit in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM
  3. Inter-American Press Society vs. Ortega
    By Jonh in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
  4. New Buses for Managua
    By tresfrijoles in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
  5. Ortega: No Inter-Oceanic Canal
    By tresfrijoles in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!