Thread: On this day in 1920.....

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default On this day in 1920.....

Bernardo Lopez was born.

Father of my wife.

He passed away in 1983 of a heart attack..

His passing was the catalyst for the migration of (most) of the clan here..

It is rumored that there are photos of him for me to scan but I have yet to be given them. Still packaged in Dona Emilia's effects I guess (in the blue dress, she passed in 2004) A box which Chilo still has to gather the strength to sort..

3 of the the clan are upstairs reminissing.. Drinking the choice drink of my youth (crown royal) ...

I remember the saying well .. Rye on beer.. you are in the clear.... Beer on Rye .. you'r gonna die..

They poured me a CR... Tried it.. and I realised that it was no longer for me... So I poured me a FDC..

What a topsy turvey world when Nicas are drinking crown R and El Chele is sipping FDC...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: On this day in 1920.....

On several ocassions I have gone to some bars with Nica´s in Nicaragua, I order the FDC, they order the Chivas Regal.

Does her family have plots all next to one another, or are they all scattered about the country/countries.

I am surprised at times by how many Nicas choose and are willing to pay for them to get shipped back to Nicaragua for burrial, quite often you see hurses heading out of the airport after one of the planes has arrived.

Blog Entries

Liquor then beer keeps you clear.

Beer then liquor makes you sicker.

Words to live by.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

They are all scattered .. Chilo's eldest sister in '96 and then her Mother in '04. In both cases I asked if the family was looking to have them sent back, but in both cases it was very firm no, they also looked puzzled at the question at the time. They are actually buried (MIL and SIL) in different cemeteries as the one where the SIL (Carman) was buried was sold out of plots when MIL passed in 04.

Some of it (I think) has to do with the 100 yr rule here. Your plot is safe until 100 years after the last body is planted in the cemetery. It is an ongoing sticking point on how those still in country could never come up with the $5/yr plot rental for Occidental.. Money is sent specifically for that purpose but never applied and it has to be "fixed" in person every few years by Chilo or Nella (Other SIL)..
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 02-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Liquor then beer keeps you clear.

Beer then liquor makes you sicker.

Words to live by.

Ok El D.........

Whiskey over beer.... Have no fear....

Beer over whiskey.. mighty risky....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...