Thread: Moving our young family to San Juan del Sur.

Smile Moving our young family to San Juan del Sur.

My wife, two kids (Aged 1 & 4) and I are planning to move to San Juan del Sur early next year. Does anyone have any information regarding the local schools there? We want our kids to go to the local school to get integrated into local society and then do a little home schooling to supplement their schooled education if need be.

Are their any other people who have moved to Nicaragua with their kids that would have some advice for us?

I am in IT and will be continuing to build websites for clients in US/Canada and in Nicaragua for Non profits, etc, my wife is a Yoga instructor and we are aiming to open a wellness retreat in the SJDS area. We want to dial back a little, live a more basic life without all the "stuff" and spend more time together as a family and get more involved with the community. We are a peaceful family and want to do all we can to help others and enjoy life.

We would love to hear what others have to say about Nicaragua and SJDS and what it would be like to raise our young family there.

Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Moving our young family to San Juan del Sur.

Schools are the biggest problem. We have a Waldorf Preschool and Kindergarten in Granada for our two-year old, which is one of the main reasons we chose this town. Outside of Managua, there aren't a lot of options.

Luckily, the environment here offers loads of educational opportunities if you have the time to put into it. I know for us, moving here meant a lot more free time for both my wife and myself, so it gives us a lot of time to devote to educational activity.

Good luck on your search.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey they are way preschool.....

They will do just fine.....

Learning a new language and culture......

Invaluable.....

While their minds are like sponges........

Don't worry about it for now......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

It'll probably be best to hire a teacher for both of your kids, In Managua my favorite school is El Colegio Aleman(The German School) where kids come out speaking three languages, Spanish, English, and German......

Good Luck to you and your family
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Hey they are way preschool.....

They will do just fine.....

Learning a new language and culture......

Invaluable.....

While their minds are like sponges........

Don't worry about it for now......
    I agree. For preschool-aged children, this place is a paradise. I spent Saturday afternoon trolling around the isletas with my little one naming the flowers and the wildlife (I swear this place is better than the San Diego Zoo). She enjoyed it so much, the first thing she said when she woke up the next morning was "vamos al barco?"

She was having too much fun to realize she was learning.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is me too El D.....

Reliving the past thru the eyes of my children.....

I cannot but help to bring myself to their level when they communicate with me, especially on a one for one, face to face basis.....

On this that or the other......

My youngest of 8 years brings me wild flowers, Ain't nothing but weeds growing out in the bush, but I make a big deal out of it........

I am reliving my youth thru them....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

There is a preschool here in San Juan, run by Julie who is American along with her Irish husband. I think they have about six to eight kids in the school. If you wish I can get the contact info for your follow up. Most of the kids that go to grade school, that have a little money, go to the Catholic school. Just send me a PM so I won’t miss it.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Some thoughts on education in Nicaragua for young children.

First, we had my daughter in a semi private catholic school in our neighborhood for a few years (pre school levels and kindergarten), what came out of this school was some headaches. For instance this was a very cheap private school about U$12 a month, the kids that go here are only semi maintained by their parents, lots of head lice from children that barely ever bathe. Many of the children come from households that have some serious emotional issues present, and for this there was plenty of fighting in school, plenty of young children with sexual curiosities. On top of this cheap schools tend to mean cheap teachers and using the word teacher lightly. Shitty supervision within class, even the administration was pathetic, they managed to lose our daughters original vacination records, and original birth certificate twice... you have to leave the originals at this school.

Now that she is in a fully private Catholic school and we are paying quite a bit more, most of the issues have been cleared up.

In some ways I think its good for young children to get aquainted with their neighbors and that gives them some understanding into some of this poverty in country, unspoils the kids a bit if you know what I mean. But at the same time I think it can also be a psycological drag on your very young children, a time when they should be learning to enjoy school.

Just my thoughts anyway. You may want to join a Listserve group for Parents Living in Nicaragua, a former member of this site is the administrator of it, Lisa. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Parent..._in_Nicaragua/

Wink Re: Moving our young family to San Juan del Sur.

Thank you all for your responses and well wishes. We are very keen to have our children integrate into local society and have fun and become locals. We envision our future in SJDS and want to ensure we set down strong foundations for the future.

Does anyone live in SJDS and tell us what it is like raising kids there?

Thanks so much once again!

Hi there. My family of 5 is planning on moving early next year to SJDS and I have similar questions/concerns about schooling. We plan on serving SJDS and it's surrounding areas full time. I would love to hear more about schooling options and other Americans with school-aged kids there as well.
    Where are you all moving from? WE are in Lubbock, Texas and have 2 daughters (ages 6 and 4) and 1 son (20 months). We look forward to hearing more about your plans and why you are moving to Nica?

Peace from Texas!
    Kelly

welcome to the site kellygrodgers...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Do your research before moving to Nicaragua.....This place is NOT the place to be for people that have never been outside of their airconditioned suburbs!.

I have not been in this forum for almost a year due to travel and family illnesses, and I find that Kelly Ann Thomas almost got killed along with her husband while being robbed at gunpoint!!.

Many people who have a vested interest in having a non-stop gringo influx do not like what I have to say.

The sandinistas created a class-resentment mantra that has been exacerbated since they came to power in 1979. To be safe you have to be INVISIBLE and dress down, drive beat up cars.

Kelly and her husband were very very visible. Running a book-store/coffee shop. I am sure the thugs cased her business, and residence.

As for the newcomers here, people should offer HONEST advise and tell them that Nicaragua is an o.k. place to visit, but forget the ex-pat thing...not going to work long term. This country sooner or later will explode into armed conflict and civil unrest in the near term.

Talking to the locals in San Juan Del Sur and Rivas, I found an undercurrent of increasing resentment at the gringos who come for the sun and surf. They see gringos come in like colonial overlords buying up the place and change its character.

The gueguense mentality is very subtle. They may smile to the gringo, but will only tell the truth to a fellow gueguense. That is why election polls in Nicaragua are unreliable....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gueguense View Post
    I found an undercurrent of increasing resentment at the gringos who come for the sun and surf. They see gringos come in like colonial overlords buying up the place and change its character.

The gueguense mentality is very subtle. They may smile to the gringo, but will only tell the truth to a fellow gueguense. That is why election polls in Nicaragua are unreliable....
    Sounds like 1960s Florida. The Good Ol' Boys smiled at the Northerners coming down and buying up everything for the sun and surf, but underneath they've always resented them and always will. Now the transplants outnumber the natives.

Same with Brits resenting rich Arabs who buy up everything in England, and many other cultures, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    The Good Ol' Boys smiled at the Northerners coming down and buying up everything for the sun and surf, but underneath they've always resented them and always will. Now the transplants outnumber the natives.
    Except that in Nicaragua, some of the natives decide to help themselves to some of the things the transplants bring, and remind you at gunpoint that you should not be there!
    things have gotten worse in Nicaragua as to crime. La Robadera is getting to Mexico levels......beginning with the rapacious trompudo and co.

The people at the Aduana instead of asking piranha size bites, now want a shark's mouthful......and it goes on and on

Blog Entries

The Florida Crackers back in the day had a bit more morals than that. They weren't choirboys, but they generally only killed people who needed killin'. Well, most of 'em anyway.

It's not like that now; Florida is becoming quite notorious for violent crime perpetrated by an underclass of people who feel entitled to other people's stuff.

Since we went through Nica immigration at the airport in June, they raised the fee from five bucks a head to ten, so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gueguense View Post
    Except that in Nicaragua, some of the natives decide to help themselves to some of the things the transplants bring, and remind you at gunpoint that you should not be there!
    things have gotten worse in Nicaragua as to crime. La Robadera is getting to Mexico levels......beginning with the rapacious trompudo and co.

The people at the Aduana instead of asking piranha size bites, now want a shark's mouthful......and it goes on and on
    It sounds to me, you guys need The Orkin Man...kill all those roaches
    Dios es Amor!

Post Re: Moving our young family to San Juan del Sur.

Since we went through Nica immigration at the airport in June, they raised the fee from five bucks a head to ten, so I've heard.
    What I saw recently is that the piricuacos at customs were making people open their suitcases in the area to the right just before the exit!. Old tactic of having 3 people there to distract the passenger and steal stuff from their suitcase.

This happened to me along time ago in 1990-1991. I caught on real quick and told them that I would not open my suitcase for inspection if there was more than 1 person checking my stuff out. I told them flat out that I was on to their con.

This shell game had all but disappeared during Aleman/Bolaños but came back with a vengeance when that SOB Daniel came back!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

yes... Suuuuuurrrrpppppprrrrrriiiiiiiiiiisssseeeeeee .

Also X-Ray of bags to exit bagage claim...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I had the Entry Xray thing my last time there, a couple years ago. They do that upon return to the US, too. In Orlando at least.

No one had us open our bags though, at any location. Must be my good looks and charm.