Thread: Fluorescent bulbs from Cuba-Venezuela NOT so free

Default Fluorescent bulbs from Cuba-Venezuela NOT so free

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007...cionales/46737

1,800,000 fluorescent light bulbs that are being held for distribution by "Empresa Nacional de Transmisión Eléctrica" (ENATREL), are now not going to be given away as promissed originally.

They will cost between 4-12 cordobas which is the same price (sometimes a bit more expensive) than a typical incandescent bulb.

The official said that a total of 2.5 million bulbs were a gift from Cuba and Venezuela. These bulbs are supposed to cut 60 megawatts and thus helping to alleviate the energy crisis which exists in Nicaragua.

50,000 people will be delivering these bulbs to houses throughout the country (at some point) the cost is supposedly associated to the delivery.

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007...cionales/49729

The first of the light bulbs will be sold to the Retired that are on Social Security benefits.

It will be a package of 4 bulbs for U$10 dollars.

Blog Entries

Humph. I've never seen one single incandescent bulb in Nicaragua. Who are they kidding? No one will save a penny of energy because they've already switched to fluorescent.

Default Again a step behind...

Yes it is true that these bulbs do use perhaps 20% of the tungsten lamp for the same light.

However the quality (not GE) is not good from china for the money. The GE ones cost 5 times more in Home Depot and will deliver substantial cost benefit.

The future (now) is LED clusters which use less than 5% of the tungsten and last a ridiculously long time 100,000 hours. Us campers have known this for years.

This is the future... Why not promote these?

Blog Entries

I love LED lighting. Trouble is, right now at least, the technology can't or won't produce one with a natural-looking light. The LED spots I have in my courtyard are ok to read by, but are not for general illumination, and the color temperature is like moonlight. Maybe a mixture of white and yellow, or something, would look better.

It would probably take a couple hundred LEDs to light a room, and then that energy saving disappears.