Thread: Digital Camera Repairs in Nicaragua

Default Digital Camera Repairs in Nicaragua

I have been trying to find someone who would take a look at my cannon powershot camera here in Nicaragua and try and fix it. Nobody seems to know anyone that can fix them. So I stopped in yesterday at the Radio Shack on the side of La Colonia Hyper next to Galerias Santo Domingo and asked the salesman/owner if he might know anyone. He said for U$20 dollars he will try to figure out what is wrong, and if its within his ability, he will fix it for no additional money.

I am thinking I will try this out, see what happens. The camera was great for me, nice and compact, decent pictures, its not an expensive camera now since its outdated, but why throw it away!

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Default Re: Digital Camera Repairs in Nicaragua

As a general rule, point and shoot cameras cost more to repair in the US than they are worth. I haven't found anyone here in Nicaragua who does that kind of work. I use the Canon repair center in LA for my SLR work. They give free estimates. I once used Ritz Camera to have a new point and shoot Panasonic fixed after my friend dropped it and broke the screen. That repair cost $200 but the camera would have cost $400 to replace. Just curious, what seems to be wrong with your camera?
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    As a general rule, point and shoot cameras cost more to repair in the US than they are worth. I haven't found anyone here in Nicaragua who does that kind of work. I use the Canon repair center in LA for my SLR work. They give free estimates. I once used Ritz Camera to have a new point and shoot Panasonic fixed after my friend dropped it and broke the screen. That repair cost $200 but the camera would have cost $400 to replace. Just curious, what seems to be wrong with your camera?
    First it started with my old batteries, I put them in with a full recharge and within seconds it says batteries are dead and the camera shuts off. So I tried new batteries and got the same thing, I figured I would try recharging these batteries and same results. So I then bought a new set of batteries with a recharger, figuring that there was a chance that the recharger was bad... still got the same result.

I figure for U$20 dollars I really can't lose. Its like they said in that CPR video, the person/camera is dead without you trying that new system of CPR/Radio Shack repair.

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    First it started with my old batteries, I put them in with a full recharge and within seconds it says batteries are dead and the camera shuts off. So I tried new batteries and got the same thing, I figured I would try recharging these batteries and same results. So I then bought a new set of batteries with a recharger, figuring that there was a chance that the recharger was bad... still got the same result.

I figure for U$20 dollars I really can't lose. Its like they said in that CPR video, the person/camera is dead without you trying that new system of CPR/Radio Shack repair.
    There's a place by Don Bosco that repairs cameras/digital cams...i got one fixed there for like $30 a few years back....don't remember the exact address though...

welcome back and thanks for the info, but that will take some time to find with that direction

Blog Entries

Just drive around Nicalandia until you see the picture on the wall...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

In all seriousness, if you find a place to repair a digital camera reasonably, I have the one I have been using for several yearly trips to Nicaragua that is now in need of repair. Most (all?) of the pics and videos that I have posted here and on YouTube were taken with that camera. It is a Kodak EasyShare DX4350, 5Mp. It took great pictures for years, but picked up some sort of a problem last November (see attached) where the colors were messed up and everything started looking double exposed.

As soon as I got home, I bought a replacement but I hate to throw things away that should be able to be fixed. One repair shop in the US I contacted told me it would cost more for him to fix it than to replace it. If there is a possibility of it getting fixed in country for a reasonable price, I'd bring it back with me this year and then have someone down there pick it up when it is done and maybe donate it to some group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Re: Digital Camera Repairs in Nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by robertee View Post
    There's a place by Don Bosco that repairs cameras/digital cams...i got one fixed there for like $30 a few years back....don't remember the exact address though...
    Found the info:

MECANICA FOTOGRAFICA
    Villa Don Bosco Foto Castillo 1c Al Sur 80vrs Abajo
    Nicaragua - Managua, Managua
    Teléfono(s) : (505) 22490871

I knew you could do it! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by robertee View Post
    Found the info:

MECANICA FOTOGRAFICA
    Villa Don Bosco Foto Castillo 1c Al Sur 80vrs Abajo
    Nicaragua - Managua, Managua
    Teléfono(s) : (505) 22490871

i know this thread is old, but if anyone know where i can get a DSLR repaired let me know. I tried the address in this thread, but it turns out the guy died last year, so the repair place no longer exists in don bosco. I went to about 15 different places today (conico, digitech, e-tech, etc.) but they all said they didnt do it and sent me to another place, who said they didnt do it, etc. I went to a couple markets too to ask around and none of the electronics places deal with cameras.
    So if anyone has any updated info, i would appreciate it!