Thread: A Nice Change of Weather...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default A Nice Change of Weather...

We enjoyed a pretty relaxing weekend, for homesteaders anyway, and were bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as we headed to the cane fields at 6am this morn. Apparently, we were the only ones in the local community who weren't overindulging last night, as the cutters were late showing up and the "straw bosses" were even later. Most of them were moving pretty slow and were wearing those morning-after grimaces. One fella even laid down in the wet cane and took a quick nap.

I could empathize with him, been there, done that, got a closet full of tshirts!

We've got a nice change of weather going on, had rain last night, almost 1/2", and today's breezes are brisk enough that I'll need to hill the Silver Queen corn bed today. We're expecting stronger winds mañana. This is the fourth day in a row that we've had running water and, although I'm caught up on my watering chores, I'm still looking around for something to do with all this bonus watering time.

The land here is sandy soil and doesn't hold water well, a big change from the goop of gumbo mud that we lived in on Quinta Quijote. I've dug up most of the raised beds, added compost and have rotated the crops for a second season of growing in Santa Cruz. The organic Neem products I'm using are working great for keeping most of the plants healthy. My only problems now are shifting sunlight (guess a few more coconut trees gotta go!) and two rambuctious puppies, now about 50lbs or so, that are insisting on runnning into everything as they wrestle around the yard.

Belle is the more aggressive of the two and she chases Cephus 'round and 'round until she can slam him into something. This morning it was my asparagus green bean trellis...heavy sigh...guess I'll add that to my list of fix-it chores for the day. Gotta run to town for the week's food shopping and more animal feed, then it's back home for gardening projects and some playtime in the kitchen.

We'll be heading to the Gringo Market in San Juan del Sur this Saturday so I need to start making homemade goodies. Think this week I'll take down applesauce, honey apple bread, pound cake, pickled hot peppers, Cuban-style chimichurri sauce and corn bread. I'd like to fit a few more new items in but not sure I'll have the time, there's never enough hours in my day, no rest for the weary or the homesteader!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Question Re: A Nice Change of Weather...

I read earlier that you use neem oil when you wash your dogs. I am moving to the Tola area April 7th and bringing two dogs. Does the oil noticeably work? I have used neem before but never one our dogs. Any side affects?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Nice Change of Weather...

Sounds like it makes 'em trar up Mill...'s garden....

BTW welcome...

To the mad house....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Sounds like it makes 'em trar up Mill...'s garden....

BTW welcome...

To the mad house....
    Speaking of.........what is happening in your zone? Everyone happy or are there those discontents?

That pound cake must be to die for... Yum, Yum
    Dios es Amor!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every thing is cool now in that respect, they reached an agreement over the elections,

And thanks to the "Rainmaker Vern" we have had a few light showers, only enough the brighten up the grass close to the house, where is falls off the zinc.....

Oh and my neighbor that built a nice Fla. style home, the family watching it, burns their trash on top of the ground, to lazy to dig a hole like the rest of us caught the grasslands on fire, and I guess burned about 20 acres before we all got it under control, I am glad my children love fire fighting with a green tree limb.....

Ahhh homesteading in Nicaragua
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

[QUOTEbringing two dogs. Does the oil noticeably work? I have used neem before but never one our dogs. Any side affects? ][/QUOTE]

It's so effective that I now sell a dog wash that I use on my Catahoulas solely; one with Neem and Nicaraguan herbs that kill rather than just deter. Neem is safe and the oil has numerous helpful properties, good smell, soft skin, etc.

There have been more than 40 years of research done on Neem, notihing so far points to any kind of negative side effects. Guess that's because it's a safe herb...

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    [QUOTEbringing two dogs. Does the oil noticeably work? I have used neem before but never one our dogs. Any side affects? ]
    It's so effective that I now sell a dog wash that I use on my Catahoulas solely; one with Neem and Nicaraguan herbs that kill rather than just deter. Neem is safe and the oil has numerous helpful properties, good smell, soft skin, etc.

There have been more than 40 years of research done on Neem, notihing so far points to any kind of negative side effects. Guess that's because it's a safe herb...[/QUOTE]

Awesome thank you for the info. I am sure like the Colonel of KFC you will never divulge what herbs you use so I see us buying some soap from you in the near future.

TRN Member

[QUOTEbringing two dogs. Does the oil noticeably work? I have used neem before but never one our dogs. Any side affects? ]

There have been more than 40 years of research done on Neem, notihing so far points to any kind of negative side effects. Guess that's because it's a safe herb...[/QUOTE]

Is it effective on mange?

Is it effective on mange?
    Yes, mange is caused by mites and the dog shampoo contains several herbs with insect killing/repelling properties.

Blog Entries

Yes, mange is caused by mites and the dog shampoo contains several herbs with insect killing/repelling properties.
    How much?

When you come down to the Gran Nada, bring a bottle by the house.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Jason, it's 80 cords for a 16 oz bottle. I honestly don't know when I'll be in Granada though, gotta head to Mga mañana then SJDS on Sat, so it's gonna be awhile. I'll be in touch.

Blog Entries

Jason, it's 80 cords for a 16 oz bottle. I honestly don't know when I'll be in Granada though, gotta head to Mga mañana then SJDS on Sat, so it's gonna be awhile. I'll be in touch.
    Allright. Mark me down for 2 bottles and maybe I'll get up there before you get down here.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Will do, hon, and btw, it's real close to duck butchering time. Roger's been butchering chickens for a few days now and I think he plans to dress the largest young male we have sometime next week, if you're still interested

Blog Entries

Will do, hon, and btw, it's real close to duck butchering time. Roger's been butchering chickens for a few days now and I think he plans to dress the largest young male we have sometime next week, if you're still interested
    Definitely. Put me down for 2 and I think Wayne at the Zoom bar wanted a pair as well. I'll check with him tomorrow.