Thread: About Diving, not fishing, but it could be fishing related........Blowing Rock

Default About Diving, not fishing, but it could be fishing related........Blowing Rock

Last week I went out to Corn Island with an old friend and his wife. After a couple of false starts due to weather and flakes I was finally able to dive Blowing Rock. I had been out there once before fishing for brief period and it was very, very good. We caugh several dolphin fisn and some king fish in about 45 mintues of fishing around it. I was able to jump in the water and snorkle on that trip for about 10 min. before the guys in the boat got antsy about continuing to troll. It looked interesting, but the view was too quick.

Well on this trip I did get to do 2 dives on it. All I can say is Wow!. I have probably done 600-800 saltwater dives on everything from deep water rigs off Texas, the Flower Gardens, all kinds of reefs in the Keys, mucho dives in Cozumel, Chincorro Bank, Majahaul in the Yucatan, Belize, Roatan, shipwrecks, etc., etc. I will have to tell you all that Blowing Rock is easily among the top 3 places I have dove in saltwater. Chinchorro was incredible and Blowing Rock is right there with it, although much smaller.

There is quite a bit of life on that formation, it is like diving a big field of boulders with all kinds of nooks and cranny's, there are many, many snapper. Saw quite a few pelegeacs, some big grouper which are scarce in Nicaragua. Was able to see the man in the grey suit several times, many reef sharks and what I think might have been a silky. Somebody saw a hammerhead. Big ass nurse sharks. Lots of rays.

If my spear gun would not have broke the day before I would have easily been able to pop a 10-15 snapper. I am just amazed that they are still there as around Corn Island the big stuff is scarce and even around Little Corn the population of bigger fish is scarce.

All in all, if you dive, you should get out there soon.

Blog Entries

Default Re: About Diving, not fishing, but it could be fishing related........Blowing Rock

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    All in all, if you dive, you should get out there soon.
    I'll be out there diving on the 7th. Do you have GPS coordinates?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Default Re: About Diving, not fishing, but it could be fishing related........Blowing Rock

It is clearly marked on the charts.

I believe it is southwest of Big Corn about 6 miles or so.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Did ya' get any pictures, Ike?
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Melissa:

No, sorry after I flooded my second U/W camera, I did a Roberto Duran and said "no mas". The life and color was really good. It is neat to dive in saltwater, around giant boulders and in volcano like moonscape topgraphical structure and see all the tropical stuff.

They say that the rocks that broke the surface were much more pronounced at one time, but that during the 80's the navy used to use it as targe practice and broke off quite a bit of it.

I tell you what LCT, I would love to troll some big fat black ballyhoo around that rock. I saw the biggest damn Kingfish I have ever seen underwater on that rock. There were some nice groupers, but all I saw of them was their ass end as they went the other direction, they got to be big for a reason.

Active TRN Member

Was Corn Island crawling with Italians when you were or have they already left?

Also, does anyone know where in Nicaragua I could get my dive computer tuned up?

Yep there were a lot of Eye-ties there for sure. Ivana Trump was staying at the place we were, I didn't recognize her, I thought she was some dolled up waitress from south Georgia named Dixie or something that was on the lam or something. I was wrong.

I don't know of any place here that could mess with your computer. What kind is it?

Blog Entries

Melissa:

No, sorry after I flooded my second U/W camera, I did a Roberto Duran and said "no mas". The life and color was really good. It is neat to dive in saltwater, around giant boulders and in volcano like moonscape topgraphical structure and see all the tropical stuff.

They say that the rocks that broke the surface were much more pronounced at one time, but that during the 80's the navy used to use it as targe practice and broke off quite a bit of it.

I tell you what LCT, I would love to troll some big fat black ballyhoo around that rock. I saw the biggest damn Kingfish I have ever seen underwater on that rock. There were some nice groupers, but all I saw of them was their ass end as they went the other direction, they got to be big for a reason.
    I have heard before that there are big ass groupers there. We used to catch biguns by slow trolling ballyhoo over the reefs in the Bahamas. We used a big cigar sinker to get the bait down, I am sure it would work there as well. You have to use stout gear (like Penn 6/0's and 50 pound test) to keep them out of the rocks though. I have seen groupers swim out of their hole and attack surface lures as well.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boy's and Girl's, I hate to sound mean and cruel....

I takes a bit of patience and you might give up, but you have to persevere if you want the meat.....

Now this is coming from and OLD lobster diver.....

Forget that fancy, spear gun crap, and dynamite, It is too dangerous for self inflicted wounds...

The only two things that drive these sea animals, is food, and sex, in that order.....

Get you a hookstick like the lobster divers use, a 3/8" construction rod about 5 foot in length, with a stout Mustad shark hook attached to it on one end real good.....

Lash the other end good with twine to give you a good hold, nothing white all dark to black....

Catch you a lobster fresh for bait in an area that has your target.....

Hurt that lobster up good, break his tail all up so he can't go no where, but is still hollering, you can hear him rubbing em antennas in distress.....

Lay down on the bottom with your weapon, the hook end near the bait.......

They will come, lay there, it will happen, it is their favorite food.......

Take your time, lay there, smoke a joint, or a cigarette, or your favorite chew of tobacco.

Hook him in a good solid place in the head, just behind the mouth, and set the hook good.....

He gone fight for a few seconds but then he is your meat, swim on up to the boat with him, ain't nothing gone mess with you keeping him close to you......

I caught Graguan Grouper at over 200 pounds this way.....

But the real big ones, over 50 pounds, it is best to have a buddy down stream just a bit to sink his hookstick into it as well....

I guess you could call it shooting over a Baited field, BWTF, are we meat hunting or what?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

Yep there were a lot of Eye-ties there for sure. Ivana Trump was staying at the place we were, I didn't recognize her, I thought she was some dolled up waitress from south Georgia named Dixie or something that was on the lam or something. I was wrong.

I don't know of any place here that could mess with your computer. What kind is it?
    Suunto Gekko

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I guess you could call it shooting over a Baited field, BWTF, are we meat hunting or what?
    I'm gonna try that. Nothing like fresh grilled grouper.

BTW, anyone passing through Granada should know that Jimmy 3 Fingers makes one hell of a grilled grouper with his own special herbs and spices. Definitely worth a visit.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

[QUOTE=Mikeh;94634]Suunto Gekko[/QUOTE

I have to go back to the states to load up some machinery over Easter, let me see if my buddy, who at one time i was partner with in his dive shop, can service the Suunto or if he knows somebody in Belize that might be able to. Suunto is good stuff, but not all that many shops even in the US, carry them anymore.

Blog Entries

I wrote this several years ago, and I stand by it....

DIVING LOBSTERS

Most all of these divers, myself included, I did it in my youth for nearly three years working out of the States on the Grand Bahama Bank.

All of us, have had little or no training at all, and learned it with On the Job Training, picked up from older ones who have had no formal training either. (Talk about blind, leading the Blind?).
    Diving for lobster here in Nicaragua, as is presently done, is doomed, because of accidents both fatal and crippling. It is no longer, politically correct.

The risk of death or permanent injury is EXTREAMLY high to the participants, and this is why these men are so WILD, and have the, earn, and burn attitude with their money, “Tomorrow? I may not even be here tomorrow”.

The reason these young men take these jobs in the first place, is having an egotistical, adventurous, craving for danger, and money, generally in that order. Some of them earn between $500.00 and $900.00 USD in a 10 day trip of diving. This is good money for a man here in Nicaragua, to earn in that time frame. Considering an experienced carpenter makes about $10.00 a day, when there is work.

Socio/economic studies by the World Bank and some NGO’s, consistently show that for the most part only 20% of the money earned by most diver’s goes into the home, 80% is squandered in honkey tonks, and whore joints, having a good time.
    Often when the diver’s leave the dock on their next trip, the first 24- 36 hours at sea are spent in recuperation from the last big party on land before leaving.

Not re-hab but sea-hab, as it is often referred to in the USA by their counterparts, these are the days while working at sea, they eat well, and are alcohol, and drug free.
    Generally the one’s who are more moderate in their conduct, and can accept responsibilities, wind up being Captain’s and leaders of these men.

The Area
    Now the avg. depth of the continental shelf on the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua is 88 feet with some holes, or slews going to 160 ft deep. The area is abundant with fish, sea grasses, coral, and rock formations making an ideal habitat for the Spiny Rock Lobsters. They dive all over this area regardless of the depth.
    The distances traveled to and from the fishing grounds are from 60 to 150 nautical miles of Open Ocean, from the center of operations in Puerto Cabezas.

Equipment Used
    Divers use a mask, fins, compressed air tank with regulator on a backpack and a 3/8 steel construction rod with a hook attached to one end of it, and the other end for their hand, is sharpened to a point to kill the lobster with, and, as somewhat of a defensive device for reef sharks and other hazzards.
    They are dressed in a pair of shorts, and sometimes a Tee shirt on their body and gloves on their hands, and that is it.

The mother vessel which is a converted shrimp boat, about 60 to 80 feet in length overall, distributes the divers and their helpers on the fishing grounds, anywhere from 60 to 150 miles offshore, in dugout canoes, or, as they call them here, “Cayucos”. They are nothing more than hollowed out logs about 18 feet in length, and 30 inches wide.
    The diver’s use 4 to 5 compressed air tanks in the morning and about the same in the afternoon. Down time with each tank varies with the depth of water and how vigorous the activity the diver is doing.

With a water temperature of 86 degrees Fahrenheit, they get about 6-7 hours a day exposure in the water, and by that time their body temperatures drop by the end of the day.
    When these mother vessels leave the dock there are about 65 men involved with the operation aboard to be able to have 25 of this number as divers and 25 as helpers or(Segundo’s).
    These helpers follow the diver’s bubbles around in the Cayucos with a paddle while he is on the bottom. They also help the diver to change tanks when empty.

The cook and his two helpers known as “flunky’s” never shut down the galley on the mother vessel. 80 pounds of rice and 40 pounds of beans, and Yucca, (cassava) meat, or fish, and other things that make up the typical diet of the coastal Miskito Indian people will be cooked, and served three times daily. They normaly use two 100 pound tanks of Tropigas in a trip.
    The compressor man and his helper refill 250 to 300 diving tanks a day to keep these divers going, using twin diesel powered breathing air compressors mounted aft of the cabin of the mother vessel.

There are 6 crew members on the deck to handle the Cayucos diving tanks and the lobster tails when they come aboard.

The captain and his mate are responsible for putting the divers on prime bottom and waiting on their needs and shuffling them around to keep them on top of where the lobsters are concentrated.

The vessel and plant owners have fast skiff’s now, to send out to them to assist when there is a medical emergency and www.suboceansafety.com has helped several years ago by placing a hyperbolic decompression chamber at the hospital here, which I understand is unuseable at the present time.

But still fatalities and permanent injuries do occur.
    In the early days (1991) they had no one aboard these vessels, who even knew basic Boy Scout first aid.

Later the boat owners started putting the equivalent of army medics aboard that mainly treat them for sexually transmitted deceases.

But when they had a man showing signs of the “Bends” (Bone joints start hurting), The medic’s would inject them with B vitamins, and ask them not to go diving any more for the day.
    Not one had the training to go down to 40 feet of water and decompress for an hour, now they contact the owner and the fast skiff is dispatched.

Commercial diving is being legislated out of existence as I personaly think it should be, trapping for the Spiny Rock Lobster is by far the safer, better method of capture for the industry, and it’s people.

I wrote this several years ago and it is still valid today, and for the sake of the truth being known I have reprinted it here......

At present there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 500,000 to 800,000 pounds of last years production in cold storage in Miami of Atlantic Coast Nicaraguan Lobsters unsold....The market without a doubt has taken a beating because of no demand by consumers world wide.....

It is just not true that the plants control prices, in fact their "Margins" are so low that they will lose money liquidateing this stock just to recooperate part of their capitol....

On a personal note, I do not think for one minute that our Ambassitor Mr. Callahan, or the CIA has anything to do with this seccesion movement other than listening to both sides publicly as should be done in a free country, this is not Iran.

For nearly 18 years I have heard the local Miskitos talk about wanting their own country because the feel neglected by Managua....

So this is nothing new, I feel the economic turn down has made an even harder pinch on the locals that some perhaps 90% are self employeed and live on subsistance farming and fishing practices and are striking out at whoever is in charge.....

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

A lot more money could be made by exploiting the beauty of the Nicaragua Caribbean than by exploiting a slowly renewable resource. The fisherman of Cozumel, Isla Mujeres and other places in Mexico live much better and longer today than they ever did when they had the fishing concessions on those reefs there.

Blog Entries

RPG, exactly my point.....

You want tourism, they need a magnet......

Nobody for a short visit wants to go far from land to be shown some "Action"...

The earth is 7/10ths water.......

Plenty for everybody......

JPJW:

You know what they did in Mexico around Cozumel and Cancun and such was give each family head that was currently fishing a concession to be guides or transporters to the reefs. The permit was transferable, but only one exists and no more were given out. Thus, fishermen became guides and divemasters and in reality only they could legally do the diving and fishing trip type stuff. There are/were some ways around it or into the game, but it was just so much better and easier for them to do it that it worked for all involved. They do take real good care of those reef's, especially Palancar, and for the hundreds of thousands, yes hundreds, of divers that dive in and around Cozumel each year the reefs are in incredibly good shape.

Blog Entries

RPG,

You have hit the nail on the head once again.....

Why reinvent the wheel?

If something is working, or works, copy it.....

People change according to conditions......

I like you are an advocate of protecting natural resources, and the Commerical Fisheries have to bend a little and let the adventure seekers have their share of a renewable recource...

It is good for everybody......

What I am against is pollution and destruction with no thought of our Begats.....

Blog Entries

R&D = Ripoff and Duplicate?

If something is working, or works, copy it.....

Blog Entries

Hey, why not?

It is human nature for those with not the inventive capacity to do something original...

We live in a copycat world.....

It is how you treat your helpers, and Clients that count....

The rest to me, can fall by the wayside....

That so far is what makes the free world interesting and incentive to me....

Radicals be damned....

I was one once, but those days are gone foever....

Blog Entries

I wrote this several years ago, and I stand by it....

DIVING LOBSTERS

Most all of these divers, myself included, I did it in my youth for nearly three years working out of the States on the Grand Bahama Bank.
    Thanks for that most informative post, JW.

ROTFLMAO