Thread: Boring Sunday in Nicaragua's Atlantic Coast

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Boring Sunday in Nicaragua's Atlantic Coast

Ok, so I had a little w*rk to do at the plant this morning, but got it done and was home for lunch.

Upper picture is the shells from the little clams, or Almejas, that are found in abundance in the beaches.

on the left is a local soup made with them and the little SeaBob shrimp (Titi's) and all kind of good ingrediments to fix it up just rite.

on the right is Beef tongue with mushroom and onion sauce...I cleaned my plate as did the kids.

So my wife and I decided to take a ride on the Moto a ways into the interior.

the tree off in the distance stood out with it's bright yellow top and the wash leading to it, well I just had to take a pic of it.

In the fore ground is this little community school's cafeteria, the ketchen and dining area.

It gripes my butt how spoiled some children are in wealthy countries...Welcome to TheRealNicaragua...

And lets not forget the community Church, note the steel air tank of of an old truck used for the church bell. (I bet no tax dollars were used here)

These are the nanciete fruit, they are about the size of BB's right now but in about a month will be about 5/8 inch in diameter and ripe and make a very nice "Fresco" which is a fruit punch.

Ok I will not bore you more on this outing so we did make it back home about dark, and altho the National Police Patrol did advise us to be careful we were only beaten, and robbed 7 times today on The Dangerous Atlantic Coast....What did Ya'll do interesting Today?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I began phase two of my NicaraguaInJacksonville project.

Default were those.....

pine trees in that one picture?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Santana

Default Re: Boring Sunday in Nicaragua's Atlantic Coast

[quote="Just Plain John Wayne"]Ok, so I had a little w*rk to do at the plant this morning, but got it done and was home for lunch.

Upper picture is the shells from the little clams, or Almejas, that are found in abundance in the beaches.

on the left is a local soup made with them and the little SeaBob shrimp (Titi's) and all kind of good ingrediments to fix it up just rite.

on the right is Beef tongue with mushroom and onion sauce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beef tongue? Oh baby, you're a braver person then I am. I thought those things were oysters..which I can consume by the dozens...

Beef tongue? Oh gods, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I don't want to eat something that can lick me!!! (no perversion intended)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santana
    I don't want to eat something that can lick me!!!
    Those were my exact words to my wife, when she tried to make me eat cow tongue. She says she served it to me without telling me, and I apparently thought it was ok, though I don't remember anything special about it. Tongue is supposedly very tender but I don't wish to try it again.

Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Quote Originally Posted by Santana
    I don't want to eat something that can lick me!!!
    Those were my exact words to my wife, when she tried to make me eat cow tongue. She says she served it to me without telling me, and I apparently thought it was ok, though I don't remember anything special about it. Tongue is supposedly very tender but I don't wish to try it again.
    My Grandmother did this to me with beef heart. I kept looking at it and saying (outloud) this looks really funky...she made us try it....we all gagged at the table...lol

I refuse to eat organ's of any kind...not sure how Hannibel Lector was able to do it????

Have you ever noticed that at gourmet resteraunts they rename things like Brains...Sweet breads? Is this suppose to make it more appitizing? A brain is a brain no matter what the hell you call it and the thought is revolting by any name.

BTW...frog legs do not taste like Chicken!!!!

Escargot is also off the menu...I use to play with those slugs when I was a kid...no friggin way I'm consuming them....ewwwwwwwww the slime of it all!!!!

Blog Entries

Lengua (tongue) is about the only tender beef you will find in many parts of Nicaragua.

Lengua is a very popular item at taco stands, Sunday I was at a taco stand here in South Florida & plenty of Lengua was being consumed.

The more time you spend in Nicaragua the more you find yourself eating things you would have never imagined. Last trip I was served turtle belly (LFJW can probably explain that one better than me) Wilks (some kind of snail), GiveNot (like a guinea pig??), Pig Tail (actually I eat that often & it is one of my favorites), along with numerous other things I could not identfy, some good, some very bad, but you don't know until you try it.

Santana

Default culinary delights

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow
    Lengua (tongue) is about the only tender beef you will find in many parts of Nicaragua.

Lengua is a very popular item at taco stands, Sunday I was at a taco stand here in South Florida & plenty of Lengua was being consumed.

The more time you spend in Nicaragua the more you find yourself eating things you would have never imagined. Last trip I was served turtle belly (LFJW can probably explain that one better than me) Wilks (some kind of snail), GiveNot (like a guinea pig??), Pig Tail (actually I eat that often & it is one of my favorites), along with numerous other things I could not identfy, some good, some very bad, but you don't know until you try it.

OMG...you're very brave! I bet you like Philadelphia Scrapple...another delicacy that won't pass these lips :?

Philly Scrapple! now we are talking.

When I go to the supermarkets in Managua, I always pass by the "Bull Balls" in the delicatesan meat displays. Anyone try those nasty things yet?

Blog Entries

Hell yes, Gaston cooks a mean batch of them and they are good....

You crowd don´t try these things cause you are surrounded with every thing under the sun..

Come on down to TheRealNicaragua.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default pine

trees in atlantic nica?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Santana

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles
    Philly Scrapple! now we are talking.

When I go to the supermarkets in Managua, I always pass by the "Bull Balls" in the delicatesan meat displays. Anyone try those nasty things yet?
    Aren't those rocky mountain oysters? The closest I get to the private parts of bovines is the bully stick, which I give my dogs to chew on. aka bull penis... :lol:

OMG...as for scrapple are you out of your cotton pickin mind? No one but NO ONE knows what's in that crap!!! Eat a philly cheese steak, it's much healthier for you :!:

Blog Entries

Default Re: pine

Quote Originally Posted by jimrichard
    trees in atlantic nica?
    JR, at one time pine lumber was the biggest export out of here, and the rosin removed from the stumps and roots...