Thread: Bud Gene

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Bud Gene

He has been gone a while.....

But his son found me on Facebook....

This is what I wrote him and a few more cousins lost...

Now 'ole Bud Gene was a cousin of mine, I thought of him as an uncle, but actually he was my cousin....

He was the He Coons (my father, Wayne Jr.) first cousin, a bit younger, but they grew up together in Trenton NC as brothers.....

A back woods little town at the head waters of the Trent river, that the local hardware store couldn't change a 20 dollar bill to purchase a 5 dollar Remmington shotgun...

He had a younger sister named Sandra, and an older brother named Bill Jr. Or just plain Billy as we all knew him....

Who later gained the name "Wild Bill" because of his rather wild conduct in his younger days, especially if he was drinking.....

Bud Gene's mother Eunice May, was sister to my grandfather Wayne Sr, the only 2 begats Pearlie Evans had by John Lewis Gooding....

Sandra was one of the most beautiful of women ever been in the county when she got grown....

When she was young, because of baby fat, she was called Battleship by her peers, but later they all took notice of this pretty girl.....

And even I have to admit, she was the Marylin Monroe of her youth...

Bud Gene hunted the swamps and fished the river with his brothers, my dad and his brother Edward and his older brother "Wild Bill"

Wild Bill got attacked one time by a bear and chocked the basturd to death with his legs around the bears neck, it wasn't a big bear but big enough to nearly kill him, he only armed with a squrrel gun......

Wild Bill and my father and Edward went on to Commerical fishing, but Bud Gene joined the US Coast Guard, he made the rank of
    Chief Warrent Officer and got 'em fancy salutes from the armed guard at the gates when entering the facilities.......

My dad being gone much of the time, Bud Gene took me dove hunting, shad fishing, and to ball games......

Bud Gene.... You were the greatest.... and I hope your son remembers you fondly....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bud Gene

Now William Thomas Lewis known to all later as "Daddy Bill" who married Eunice May Gooding, Wayne Sr's only sister, and they had married for life.....

When ever I hear the word "Howdy" or read it, I think fondly of my Aint Eunice, she used it all the time.....

Daddy Bill and my grandfather, brothers in law, went into business together one time....

They bought an old truck, fixed it up because they both were gifted with mechanical skills, to haul produce from Spiveys Corner NC to New York City....

Now Spiveys Corner is famious for not only growing cucumbers and tomatoes,and stringbeans, but still has and anual Hog calling contest that particapants from all over the States come to enjoy....

It ain't far from Benson NC where they have an anual "Mule Days" celibration till today....

Now I ain't talking bout no pickup truck here, it was a big'un in them days what they bought.....

They worked under the shade of a Pecan tree (pronounced Pee Can) there in Trenton NC (pronounced Trennon) on it, to get her ready for the trips back and forth to New York....

Their 4 boys grew up together as brothers, Wayne Jr, and Edward Pavel (Jack), Billy Jr. , and Bud Gene.....

Now they grew up a bit wild, being the apple of their grandmothers eye, Maw Pearl....

Maw Pearl died when I was 15 so I knew her well, her husband for life was John Lewis Gooding Whom I was named after and his son Wayne Sr...

John Lewis died when I was 12 days old so I never knew him, both, John Lewis, and Pearlie Evans, are baryed side by side in Trenton....

But getting back to my story.....

Rather than go to school, the surounding creeks, swamps and river became their play ground for the 4 boy's Wayne Jr, Jack, Billy and Bud Gene.....

Sometimes Jones County school had a graduating class of 1, sometimes none for the year....

They hunted, trapped, and fished, to their hearts content....

Hell the first pair of real shoes Billy ever had, my grandfather bought for him, and tears now at 80, comes to his eyes when he talks about it, bought for all of them as a matter of fact, on one of their trips to New York.....

On their first trip to New York City, getting back to Daddy Bill and Wayne Sr, and their business adventure....

They took their truck to Spiveys Corner, bought a load of fresh produce and proceded on up to New York City with it, just two 'ole country boy's that hadn't hardly been out ot the county, let alone gone to New York City, neither one had ever been there before.......

Well, before they even got to the City proper, they got in trouble with the law.....

This I got from both of the horses mouth's....

A police officer stopped them.... Sirs he said, don't you know this road is for cars only? there was an exit sign back there a ways for trucks?

Wayne Sr. who was driving at the time said, Officer, I didn't see it paying attention to traffic.....

Then he asked Daddy Bill, sir, what were you doing?....

Daddy Bill's responce was, Officer, I was looking at all the lights......

Their first trip does not end here, I will tell about the rest of thier misadventure.....

Continued....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bud Gene

Well the police officer got tickled at Daddy Bills response, and got 'em straightened out, didn't fine them for anything, they making an innocent mistake and showing much respect for the law by two country bumpkins bringing food to his fair City.....

I wonder how that would go over in this day and time? Probably get a ticket a mile long.....

I don't know if they in turn gave the officer a gift to take home to his kitchen, but putting myself in their place, I would have, they had plenty on the truck, and we Southerners are prone to sharing with not only those in need, but those that help us as well......

So they got over there in Manhatten somewhere, where the vegiatable buyers that buy bulk, dealed with producers and teamsters, and made a deal to sell the fresh produce....

Now this business venture between Daddy Bill and my grandfather, took place in the 1930's, the roads wasn't so good and they had to, in 'em days, to get to the city, go all the way around their hand to get to their thumbs....

And they put the time in driving that truck day and night, periodicly changeing and the other resting, or trying to rest on the other side of the cab of the truck to get their perishables to market in good shape with minum loss....

Sleeper cabbed trucks were long from even being thought of in them days, where one could streach out, while the other is driving....

They were both born in the early years of 1900, their parents from the 1875- 1885 era of which I did know one, out of the four of them, so they were young strong men at the time.....

In those days North Carolina was also like Texas in 1880, they have the old Cowboy law there, you tote a gun, you tote it right out in plain sight or under lock and key....

This story was related to me personally over a meal at my Aint Eunice's kitchen table by both Daddy Bill and Wayne Sr.

Some families, had Dining Rooms in those days, that were often not used or used very little, it was the kitchen that was the family gathering places, heart warming meals and the place for stories, a few totys (drinks) of Whskey in coffee after a fine meal, and a place that created not only memories, but the morals of the children were learned there as well....

Daddy Bill never carried a gun, but he had an old double barreled shotgun, a Stevens 12 gauge from his father's time, with rabbit ear hammers, boy did I like that gun, I had an 'ole .410 single shot, but Daddy Bill's gun would throw a lot heavier charge of shot WAY up 'em Cyprus and Oak trees and even thru the silver grey Spanish Moss that covered nearly all the limbs they would hide in, thinkin' they were hid if you were sharp eyed enough to see 'em stop.....

If you were real quiet, and ready, stop they would, then they were your meat on the table....

I used to sneak it out and go squrrel hunting with it, when I got up enough money to buy 8 or 10 shells for it at the hardware store, where also a county huntin' license wont but a dollar, and I cannot remember ever in my life home, being checked by the law for it....

It was easy enough to sneek the shotgun out, and put it back, Daddy Bill kept it up in the attic hung across two of the rafters. he wasn't a hunter, but he kept it because it was his fathers who was a hunter, and Bud Gene, Daddy Bills youngest son had bagged game with the same gun too in his youth.....

One day I got a nice Raccoon with it and I skinned it, Aint Eunice cooked that thing up nice and good, complete with biscutts and gravy and sweet potatoes, and you know there was always some kind of greens to go with it, be it turnip, musturd or collards....

Aint Eunice, like her mother Maw Pearl, never measured any of the ingredients when cooking....

It was done by eyesight and feel with the hands, tasteing with a spoon, and adjusting the cookin', and it always turned out good.....

Wooden spoons for sturing the cast Iron pots and skillets....

Hog Lard used in the biscuits, bacon grease or chicken fat in the gravy's, and a piece of salted pork streak o' lean in the greens.....

Only difference between Maw Pearl and Aint Eunice's cookin' was Ain't Eunice used LP gas, and Maw Pearl used stove wood....

After Maw Pearl had gone on to be with the Lord, and I had joined the work force of the country commerical fishing, on visits back home after big 'ole hugs around the neck with everyone, Aint Eunice would ask me, "Johnny, you notice anything different about me?"

I would back up a bit, and look at her, cock my haid to one side then the other, smile and tell her....

You have lost weight havent you?

She would smile and blush and say, why yes I have, she then take me by the arm leading me into her kitchen to fix me up a plate of food, telling me what new diet she was on, etc....., she was not fat, but stout, like an older woman should be....

Bear with me a bit, I am going too get back to the family famous teamsters joint business adventure to New York City with the fresh Produce, they are still up there in Manhatten for right now, I will continue, and get 'em back home soon....

But I have stirred in my own mind about my Aint Eunice, in my writings.......

When everybody was gone, and the big ole house they had in Beaufort NC was just for her, and Daddy Bill.

I have a habit of jumping in time frames but the song remains the same.....

She bought herself a miniture poodle dog so the house wouldn't seem so empty to Aint Eunice and Daddy Bill....

Now as legind has it, her father John Lewis Gooding, had made, sold, and drank enough illigal whiskey, and corn wine, to float the Queen Mary.....

Well now Daddy Bill would take a drink with his father in law once in a while, and got to like it.....

But he could handle it, and I never saw him comode hugging drunk, or out of the way, not in my life time.....

But in them days I am talking about, they had just invented canned dog food, we had tinned corned beef, but the dog food was new on the market for there....

Dash for dogs, Kennel Ration and I don't remember what other "Brands" of meat scraps with corn meal cooked up in a can was on the market...

Aint Eunice had started buying this for her poodle dog, it reacted good with the dog, when let out in the yard, it would make a pile, and after 2 or 3 days it would turn white and quit stinking, you just had to avoid steeping in it when it was fresh.....

Well Daddy Bill comes in from work, has his supper, three or four stiff drinks, takes a bath, and looks his bed......

Now when you use whiskey as a relaxant to fall asleep, after about 4 or 5 hours, you sometimes wake up hungry.....

Daddy Bill woke up hungry, went to the biscutt box and got him out one of 'em big 'ole lard biscutts and started looking thru the "FrigidAire" for something to go with it.......

When a bit later Aint Eunice came in the ketchin, she said, Bill, what are you doing?

I am eating a biscuit and the rest of this cold corned beef, he replied....

Aint Eunice laughed, and told him, that was dog food....

When he looked at it good he laughed too, and said, it ain't all that bad....

Now Daddy Bill was a Bear of a man, he learned to box bare knuckles in his youth, and later, with only leather to protect the knuckles....

He alway's said to me, "Lead with your left and cross with your right".....

No man in the county could kick his ass.....

He grew up when men were honorable, business deals were done on a handshake, and a mans word was his honor......

Wayne Sr. my grandfather, was not a big man, he was about my stature, 5'10" 160 pounds but would fight only if cornered.....

He told me one time, son, if you have to fight and they ain't no getting around it, you fight to win.....

Now he kept rather handy an oldtimey Smith and Wesson .32 Long revolver pistol, for just in case it was ever needed, never was, but he had it...

The last I left these two country boy's in this story, Daddy Bill and his brother in law Wayne Sr., they had taken a load of fresh produce to Manhatten to sell and return home for another....

Uuuu boy, a deal had been struck to sell the produce, they needed only to wait till that afternoon for their cash money.....

They were professional Truckers and business men now, and had made a Country Boy killin on their efforts.....

They were dealing with reputable people, they went to a Diner, had what to eat while they waited for their money.....

They decided to take a rest that night in the truck parked there on the buyers yard, and before day leave out for home and the second trip......

Well that afternoon, they got their money, not everyone in New York City is crooks, plenty good people there, but boy have they got some piecies of $hit mixed in 'em.....

So instead of taking out enough for traveling expenses and what ever emergency might arise and wiring the bulk home, they just split the pile of cash between them, put it in their pockets and left the office.....

Went to the diner, had a heavy meal and back to the truck to take a rest before leaving out.....

Now they was pretty Tarred (tired) left 'em wing winders open for air, locked the doors, and nodded out for a spel.....

Now as the good book says, Thieves, muggers, the Poor and beggars will be with us always....

But these two 'ole Boy's hadn't never seen much of that down in the County home, the poor yea, everybody knew who was in need.....

But thieves and muggers, they didn't exist at all, everybody home knew there was a hanging rope for that crap....

When you are a professional, or "Simi" professional, you study your work to come out on top right?......

Well looks like a coupla New York City boys got one over on these two bumpkins from the back woods of North Carolina.....

But in order to do it they had to knock 'em out.....

Now to physicaly knock Daddy Bill down would have been a feat any man could brag about the rest of his life.....

And to assault Wayne Sr. would have only resulted in a touch of "Lead Poisoning".....

So what did them New York City cornholes do?

They got 'em a half a litro of either, the hospitol kind to put somebody under for an operation, soaked it in two rags, and chuncked 'em in the wing winders on both sides after they see that the rednecks had drifted off a bit......

Now 'em ole swamp boy's did drift away with that......

I guess after about 30 minutes of breathing in that either, a doctor could have gelded them or done anything they wanted and they wouldn;t have woke up....

Next morning way after daylight, groggy as hell and with a big headache, ;em ole country boy's did come too....

Their pants pockets split open with knives, and no money to even get back home....

But they were very lucky, they lived to Hunt again, sent home for money, and started all over, they didn't give up.....