Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laws in Nicaragua ??

Default Laws in Nicaragua ??

My maid did not work last week because of arthritis, and was told by her doctor to take a week off and rest.
    She is now demanding that I pay her for the week, because her doctor told her to rest ?
    Anyone know the laws here, and if this is true?
    In the states...........no work.....no pay !!
    What are your feelings on this

Blog Entries

Default Re: Laws in Nicaragua ??

Get a younger maid!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Laws...we don' need no stinkin' laws...at least that's how it works for Gringos...oh, sorry, I meant no justice...my bad.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

She's probably a sandinista!
    Dios es Amor!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

FCM wrote some really good posts on Nica labour law.. One important point was the contract between the employer and the employee and having the contract written / mediated my the Gov't (Mintur?) .. What does your contract state

Anyway I am googling the board, but if some one else recalls the thread.. Pls link it..

Here are 2..

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/f...ad.php?p=83357

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/f...ad.php?p=34002
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Pay up for the week, and close her out for the year with any aguinaldo etc owed, and fire her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dubereyes View Post
    My maid did not work last week because of arthritis, and was told by her doctor to take a week off and rest.
    She is now demanding that I pay her for the week, because her doctor told her to rest ?
    Pay her with an out of country, third party, post dated check on a closed checking account in the States. Then fire her.

You don't have to pay her, but if she wants to go after your ass, and you aren't paying INSS you might have a little trouble. Me? I would give her a day or so's pay and pay her off and cut her loose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by howard cox View Post
    Pay her with an out of country, third party, post dated check on a closed checking account in the States. Then fire her.
    And use an account from a failed bank that was closed by regulators.

Blog Entries

My maid did not work last week because of arthritis, and was told by her doctor to take a week off and rest. She is now demanding that I pay her for the week, because her doctor told her to rest ?
    How much money are you talking? Is she a good maid, trustworthy, do you want to keep her on? There is such a thing in business as "good will", though it's a damned scarce commodity today. I like the Aggie's advice. Cut a deal. She probably needs the money.

Are you talking about an undocumented Latina maid paid under the table in California? Most companies offer sick leave, but that's for full-time workers, and there are fewer & fewer such positions.

Gordon Gecko in "Wall Street": "Greed is good." In "Wall Street 2": "Greed is legal."

If it's not too far away, just go to the nearest Minesterio de Trabaja and ask them. No need to pay a lawyer for a consult. I know the one in Rivas, it's just outside town on the way to Tola, just North of the Hospital on the other side of the street. Can't miss it.

Wink Re: Laws in Nicaragua ??

Thanks for the comments.............If she was that good of a worker I would probably would not of asked for comments; but she is not!

I think I will take 3 beans advise....pay her off and out she goes!!

another one bites the dust....

thanks for sharing.

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

The maid needs to bring in constancia or doctors note indicating the amount of days off in order to get paid for the days that she did not work. I know this since I am a manager of a hotel here in Chinandega. The people at MITRAB are nothing but a bunch of fools. Each time I come in for a consultation I get three different responses for the same problem. They are of little help.

In all honesty though! If I was a servant working for $100 dollars a month(is it the going rate? I might be wrong) I would be upset and expect a lot more from my employer
    Dios es Amor!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Everyone's got a different opinion on how much folks should be paid.

An honest worker deserves a much different pay grade then the worker who lies to you every time you ask a question.

A hard worker deserves a different pay scale than the one who goofs off every time you turn your back.

A worker who keeps their head down and does their job deserves a different pay scale than the one who gossips your business all over town, resulting in eventual theft.

How the h*ll can anyone figure there's a certain pay that people deserve? When America was young and a country of immigrants, the hard workers found a niche, the criminals found theirs, and the lazy ones found liberals to back them up!
    Last edited by catahoula fan; 05-01-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: punctuation error
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Everyone's got a different opinion on how much folks should be paid.

An honest worker deserves a much different pay grade then the worker who lies to you every time you ask a question.

A hard worker deserves a different pay scale than the one who goofs off every time you turn your back.

A worker who keeps their head down and does their job deserves a different pay scale than the one who gossips your business all over town, resulting in eventual theft.

How the h*ll can anyone figure there's a certain pay that people deserve? When America was young and a country of immigrants, the hard workers found a niche, the criminals found theirs, and the lazy ones found liberals to back them up!
    You go girl! Amen.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mil.... You have hit the nail on the head......

First of all you going to have to cull through a bunch to get the best of a crowd, and when you do keep 'em, it ain't gone cost much, if you take into consideration other losses, thiefts and lazyness....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Mil.... You have hit the nail on the head......

First of all you going to have to cull through a bunch to get the best of a crowd, and when you do keep 'em, it ain't gone cost much, if you take into consideration other losses, thiefts and lazyness....
    JW , you own us an explenation " were have you been"

Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    The maid needs to bring in constancia or doctors note indicating the amount of days off in order to get paid for the days that she did not work. I know this since I am a manager of a hotel here in Chinandega. The people at MITRAB are nothing but a bunch of fools. Each time I come in for a consultation I get three different responses for the same problem. They are of little help.
    Constancias are a silly joke, they sell them in front of universities in Managua.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To be honest I thought I was dieing, so with the help of Thom, Rogertroll and friends I put myself under a dr.s care.........

Fact is I had been boozing it up a bit too much.....

I will go into detail later.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    To be honest I thought I was dieing, so with the help of Thom, Rogertroll and friends I put myself under a dr.s care.........

Fact is I had been boozing it up a bit too much.....

I will go into detail later.......
    Dammit, man. Don't do that again!

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

Speaking of having a maid around the house, we have been blessed with one since 2006. She is a member of our church and very dedicated to us. She lives outside since she has a family to tend to but she is here working for us monday through friday. She also takes care of our children as if they are her own. My oldest son calls her "momma Anna". Our maid even has a set of keys to open the front gate and to the front door of our home. We never lost anything due to theft. She makes a little more than the minimum wage of about 2200 cordobas per month. On days that we are out of town with sufficient notice she will stay over at the house for the night. I pay her 100 cordobas for each night that she stays to house sit. My wife always gives her old clothing, shoes, sometimes unwanted furniture. We also give her platanos and bananas, mangos and papayas that come from our back yard. Also, she knows all of our neighbors here in the area and keeps us informed as to what is happening which is nice to know. She gets every saturday and sunday off knowing that in reality it is a six day work week in Nicaragua but since we are members of the 7th day Adventist Church, Saturdays is a day of rest for us. Here is a picture of her attending our oldest son's first birthday party. Her name is Anna Perez, born and raised in Rivas but been living in Chinandega these past 30 years. Once again we are truly blessed to have her here with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing Doming00. These are good and fair guidelines for all of us. You are blessed because you are doing a basically good thing, which for some comes naturally, treating another human being, your employee, more than fairly, but, I guess, as you would want to be treated if you were in her shoes. And being a good neighbor to boot. Power to you, man!

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is exacltly why,most businesses that employ over 60 workers will resort to having their own Doctor,who is the ONLY that can give a VALID constancia for said employee.

This is perfectly legal,and it saves a company money,by avoiding those fake constancias Centro De Salud would give ANYONE, heck anyone can even pick up some blank ones at some places.

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    Constancias are a silly joke, they sell them in front of universities in Managua.

Fellas:

After having dealt with and having to deal with around 300 +/- employees, here is the way I understand things:
    -The only "constancia" that obliges an employer to pay any days, with the maximum being 3 days, is one from the INSS.

-Those other constancias are not worth the paper they are written on, in terms of getting a paid day or days. Save for, and this is nebulous, when the employee is in the first month of their job and do not have INSS.

-After the 3rd day or if the "subsidio" is for more than 3 days the INSS will pay the worker 60% of their wage. Legally, the employer is not obligated to pay the remaining 40%, but in some places they do.

Just an FYI to all Gringo's, I would strongly suggest that you enroll and pay for your maid to have INSS. I have heard of two expensive, probable set ups, that have happened to Gringos in regard to maids being supposedly hurt at work. One where they ended up paying almost 5 months of wages for a "hurt" maid. Another where the labor ministry got involved and they were put on immigration control and had a devil of a time getting it removed. Chances are nothing will ever happen, but if it does look out.

I also have a very decent maid, who I am close to and that I treat fairly well, well much better than the norm. But, every so often I see manifestations of her wanting to exploit the Gringo in me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast