Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laws in Nicaragua ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Laws in Nicaragua ??

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post

The best advice I was ever given in Nicaragua was the following:
    "Don't worry too much about the contract, worry a whole lot about who you make the contract with"

Kinda like picking a wife, eh?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Of course you are a target. Even the Nicas take issue with sip's. JK.

that's funny!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

In the USA I hired house cleaners/maids. I only paid them a set amount and there were no fringe benefits. It was understood that their employment was 'at-will' and could be terminated any time. It's funny, but I had things go missing and they were all in my business. Either wanting to hook up with me or someone they know. Most didn't work out too long. These were white women, born and raised in the US. Seems the only thing different from Nica is that I was not required to give them anything but pay for the time they worked.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

What is the minimum wage now in Nicaragua?

Blog Entries

This is all new to me. What is the IVA that you mentioned in the previous post? I too would like to know what the minimum wage is.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

IVA is VAT tax, Value Added Tax to purchases.

I think the current minimum wage for domestic workers is $2,701.87. There is another increase in August.

You all know that you can go to the MITRAB website and get a whole bunch of first hand information. I know some of you all don't speak Spanish all that well, but instead of relying on offhand and supposed decent information via the gossiping gringo grapevine, I suggest you get a young bilingual Spanish speaker that can get on the internet with you and do research.

All the information, the laws and what not are at your fingertips. Nicaragua is not quite as backward ass as many would like to think.

I think one of the worst mistakes expats make is relying on other expats for information and or wanting to get easy info from someone without actually doing some of the research and digging themselves.

Before I opened a plant in Nicaragua, I read the labor law front to back. Actually, it was my 3rd purchase in Nicaragua in 2005.

Lots of grifters make their money passing on the helpful hints of how to traverse the supposed voodoo magic minefield of Nicaraguan laws and customs to gringos. Bypass those dolts and figure it out for yourselves, you will feel better and more informed. Leading a life depending on "he said she said" is perilous in a country like Nicaragua or any Latin America country where gringos alternate from having bulls eyes to dollar signs on their chests.

Information is a powerful thing. http://www.mitrab.gob.ni/

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Were these rules part of the (from what I read between the lines and your current status/location line in your avitar) reason for (assumed) moving out of the Nica market?

Or is the operation going under someone else's direction?
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 07-07-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I think the current minimum wage for domestic workers is $2,701.87. There is another increase in August.

You all know that you can go to the MITRAB website and get a whole bunch of first hand information. I know some of you all don't speak Spanish all that well, but instead of relying on offhand and supposed decent information via the gossiping gringo grapevine, I suggest you get a young bilingual Spanish speaker that can get on the internet with you and do research.

All the information, the laws and what not are at your fingertips. Nicaragua is not quite as backward ass as many would like to think.

I think one of the worst mistakes expats make is relying on other expats for information and or wanting to get easy info from someone without actually doing some of the research and digging themselves.

Before I opened a plant in Nicaragua, I read the labor law front to back. Actually, it was my 3rd purchase in Nicaragua in 2005.

Lots of grifters make their money passing on the helpful hints of how to traverse the supposed voodoo magic minefield of Nicaraguan laws and customs to gringos. Bypass those dolts and figure it out for yourselves, you will feel better and more informed. Leading a life depending on "he said she said" is perilous in a country like Nicaragua or any Latin America country where gringos alternate from having bulls eyes to dollar signs on their chests.

You have given great information on many counts.

I think it is beyond just speaking Spanish. Some gringos complain that every time they get in their car they are pulled over and expected to pay tax or mordida. That doesn't happen to every Nica as they don't have the money. So what people are asking is not just pure facts, but what is enforced and also hidden mines or easter eggs that exist in the laws. Sure reading the law with a young bilingual latin would help, but it is not all of it. Not to mention that many phrases and terms do not translate directly to English.

I think everyone needs a balance. Read the laws and ask other expats what their experiences are. Just asking the minimum wage is something you could do with google. I don't think I have ever heard of a person here that paid the mere minimum wage to anyone.... $135 US? I hear more like $300 from gringos.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like RPG said go thru MITRAB with it. It won't entirely protect you from Torts but will reduce any damage.

When I was doing it and had an unruly employee with a contract with MITRAB and I, I wrote 3 memos with a copy to MITRAB and the employee and after 3 times MITRAB would be the bad guy and fire them, I didn't have to.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Is this USD$ 2,701.87 per year? Or maybe C$ 2,701.87 per month (USD$122.81)?

I am not trying to be obtuse here but just trying to determine the facts as best anyone knows them.

Also this brings up another very real issue..... how do you pay for part time help?

For example, my caretaker turned (in his mind and in my absence) his job from a part time job (in my mind) to a full time job (in his mind) and then started making demands about not being paid enough money!

I swear that 2 hours per day would have been way more than I wanted.

To anyone reading this thread, it is obvious to me that if any good could come of this site (TRN), it would be to provide a clear understanding of employing people in Nicaragua while being fair to them and to yourself.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Is this USD$ 2,701.87 per year? Or maybe C$ 2,701.87 per month (USD$122.81)?

I am not trying to be obtuse here but just trying to determine the facts as best anyone knows them.

Also this brings up another very real issue..... how do you pay for part time help?

For example, my caretaker turned (in his mind and in my absence) his job from a part time job (in my mind) to a full time job (in his mind) and then started making demands about not being paid enough money!

I swear that 2 hours per day would have been way more than I wanted.

To anyone reading this thread, it is obvious to me that if any good could come of this site (TRN), it would be to provide a clear understanding of employing people in Nicaragua while being fair to them and to yourself.
    That has got to be Cordobas, 10 years ago before I went into consulting I had some, well perhaps more than a few but less than 50 employees.

It, the above was based on a 30 day period, 5 day week, 45 hours a week, anything over that was double time. and the vacation pay and the 13th month was biased on that. Not on the over time.

But like I said my info is dated.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Were these rules part of the (from what I read between the lines and your current status/location line in your avitar) reason for (assumed) moving out of the Nica market?

Or is the operation going under someone else's direction?
    Billy:

No, I found Nicaragua to be a great place to work. I don't have many complaints at all about working there and or the folks that I worked with or worked for me. I am trying to get back there in the near term.

I had a falling out with the guy that owned the company, he and I never got along to begin with and as the plant I ran had matured I really was not needed any more as the plant was doing fine and running well. Plus as a gringo with a decent pay and living package I was way expensive. My time in that position was always numbered, I had planned on it being at the end of last year, but it was a little sooner.

I stayed around Managua for a few months, but ended having some good opportunities in Mexico, sadly enough and thus I am back up here, and in Texas, for a spell.

LCT:
    That is in cords per month.

What JPJW writes is about dead on. If you document, do your paperwork, and can verify things the MITRAB will work for the employer just as well. I found MITRAB and the INSS to be very honest, in some cases dumber than door knobs but very honest.

Blog Entries

This may be a stupid question but here goes anyway.

If I become a resident of Nicaragua, is the US government notified? Is my social security or medicare affected?

Blog Entries

If I become a resident of Nicaragua, is the US government notified? Is my social security or medicare affected?

That is something I would like to know as well.

If you have SSI come in on a debit card it would seem you should be able to live and use the card any place you live or visit. It is a system we paid into, an investment of sorts.
    Survivor

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Mikeh (Or at least I think it was him) had a good post on this WRT Canadians "Over there" ... Flynlandia

In short he states that it determined by your Tax Return , whether the government finds about your residency card or not, and how long you are out of your country (and if your country bothers checking how long you are out of country.

I believe on the Canadian return you have to state how many days you actually resided in theo country, if the US tax returns ask the same questions that would be an avenue to find out..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Perminate residency is not the same as giving up or renouncing your citizenship to the US, it is only a 5 year thing that you have to renew that permits you to live work and invest here legaly. The SS will still be, no one can strip that from you, no matter where you live.

What everyone does here is bank in the US with an address there and transfer it here, I am most sure of. although I haven't yet done it. This is what several friends do that are retired.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Mikeh (Or at least I think it was him) had a good post on this WRT Canadians "Over there" ... Flynlandia

In short he states that it determined by your Tax Return , whether the government finds about your residency card or not, and how long you are out of your country (and if your country bothers checking how long you are out of country.

I believe on the Canadian return you have to state how many days you actually resided in theo country, if the US tax returns ask the same questions that would be an avenue to find out..
    Actually Billy, on the Sickaliving thread I was only talking about how Canadian pension income is taxed if the pensioner becomes a non-resident of Canadian.

In general, the relationship between taxation and residency is very complicated for Canadians, and I suspect the same is true for USA residents.

For example, Revenue Canada can decide that you have become a non-resident for tax purposes even f you have not become a resident of another country. Conversely, becoming a legal resident of Nicaragua does not in-and-of-itself mean that you have given up residency in Canada.

Furthermore, depending on your income level, becoming a non-resident may lead to quite a heavy tax burden, and in other cases, may not have any effect at all on the total of taxes that you pay.

Because so much money is riding on the issue, and because this such a case-by-case matter, I think anyone who is contemplating spending more than half the year outside of their country of residence should consult a tax accountant with cross-border tax expertise before making any decisions.

Blog Entries

I posted on here somewhere about Accurate Accounting Services owned by Julio Mayorga with offices in Seminole Florida and MGA.

He is sharp as a tack and is current on things of this nature.

If I knew how to do a search I would dig it up

Blog Entries

Accurate Accounting Services.... Speaks perfect (Press one for English, press two for Spanish).....

Julio Mayorga<jmayorgaeacpa@juno.com> ...

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/f...hp/t-7415.html

Blog Entries

Attaboy!

Active TRN Member

I was once brought in front of the police because a crew member claimed he did not get paid. After providing a copy of the planilla from the fish house (who issued checks) signed by the claimant, he changed his story and explained that the Captain illegally unloaded a catch of lobster (we were not fishing for lobster but it was occasionally caught as a bycatch) and the Captain sold it and didn't give the crew (nor the boat owner!) their "share."

This was one time I dug my heels in. I told the police that they were now my "tres testigos" who witnessed the admission that the crew stole product from the boat and I wanted to press charges against the crew member.

Lets just say that "critical thinking" (read:common sense) was rare commodity in those days. Looking into the eyes of these police officers was like looking into an abyss.

I threw a temper tantrum (after 4-hours of my wasted time). They told me I had to wait until the claimant brought his carnet (he denied that he was the one to sign the planilla and take his pay).

I told them that they knew where to find me...

The next day, the crew member asked me to buy him a beer.

It's worth a try...
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Active TRN Member

Another true story...

My friend Wayne, who lived on Corn Island since the 70's, had a nice little pulperia and Islander wife...

Occasionally, he and Wanda would hire a "chambero" to do work on his house/pulperia which was located on a main path through a barrio called "Little Egypt."

During the big drug days, many years ago, this chambero was walking through the path by by Wayne's house and saw someone hiding under a neighbor's house (shack). It turned out to be a crazy "drug guy" who shot him and he lost his leg.

This chambero took Wayne to court and the judge ruled that he "may have been" on his way to ask for a chamba from Wayne, therefore, Wayne was responsible for his medical expenses.

Wayne felt badly for the guy but was so pissed that, after 30+ years, he left the island
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123