Thread: Buying a Cell Phone?

Default Buying a Cell Phone?

I would like to buy a cell phone when I get to Nicaragua this weekend. I will only be there for a short time this visit but could use it again on future visits.

I would like some advice please. and thanks.

1) Should I purchase it in the airport, or wait till I get to Granada?

2) What am I looking at cost wise for a phone and say 50-100 minutes to start?

3) Will I keep the same number if I go a few months without loading more minutes or using the phone?

4) How much are rates to the US? within Nicaragua? are incoming calls always free?

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Default Re: Buying a Cell Phone?

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    I would like to buy a cell phone when I get to Nicaragua this weekend. I will only be there for a short time this visit but could use it again on future visits.

Not sure of the prices at the airport but you can buy a basic phone in Granada for $22.

$10 or so will get you started

3) Will I keep the same number if I go a few months without loading more minutes or using the phone?
    Last time I checked the minutes are good for three months
    4) How much are rates to the US? within Nicaragua? are incoming calls always free?
    Rates to the US $o.10, depends on calling the same network or not much cheaper to call the same network, find out what your friends use, some folks have two phones one for each network. incoming are free
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please see answers below.

Purchase it at the airport,they will be the same price anyways

I would recommend to make certain you buy a Claro phone and add at least $20 talk time,you should get at least $40 in bonus time.

YES, not a problem it will remain active for at least 4 months of non use time.,should they lock your number,due to lack of use,you can always have it unlock at the airport.

Nite calling from your cell phone to the USA,after 8PM Nica time sometimes it's less than $.04 per minute, furthermore incoming calls are FREE.
    Good luck and hopes this helps.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

FCM's suggestion is very good for your upcoming trip.

For the long term here is what my Wife and I have done and will do..

First any "tri" or "quad-band" GSM phone that is unlocked will work... Check factory surplus places in your neighborhood. We have a couple Nokia (One given, one bought for $20 and I googled the unlock code.)

Check with family and acquaintances that may have an old "chipped" phone lying around in a drawer...

There are a few Chinese sellers (probably too late for your upcoming trip) that sell phones that can take 2 SIM cards.. This allows you to stay connected to both networks with one phone. Rates calling across providers gets very expensive quite fast. A dual SIM phone allows people with Claro phones call you on a Claro number and Movistar on a Movistar number...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

I have a kolbi ice phone from costa rica.....would that work in Nicaragua with a new sim card? It is a nokia c2-01

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Technically - It should work..

Practically - It may have to be "Unlocked" if it was a contract phone from your CR provider..

Simple test.. Find a friend in CR that has phone service with another provider.. Swap chips.. If your phone now has your friends phone then you are good.. If it complains that it can not use the chip your phone is locked..

Unlocking can be done by most shops for $10 or the Gringo price..

Reference page.. http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c2_01-3638.php
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I have been told that my Nica Claro phone will work in CR if I put in a Kobi Sim Card, so I am guessing your phone will work with a Claro chip, if not it can be unlocked like Billy said. May be cheaper just to buy a Claro phone once here, the cheapest new ones are under $20. The chips were less than $5 each here but it has been a long time since I checked.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

For 20, I'll just buy a new phone. I had my smart phone unlocked last time I was in CR and with in a day and a half, my phone (without my approval) sent over 200 messages to a text line called 'mi mascota'. It charged 50 colones (10 cents) per text and wiped out my 20 dollar balance.....so I took out the sim card and bought the cr phone.