Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YOTA!

Default YOTA!

Ok my contract is almost up with Movistar, and I am now sure I am going to trade in this 3.5G 512kbps U$45 dollar a month service for YOTA. YOTA´s 4G 1mbps service is only 760 cordobas a month and thats with tax included and theres NO contract (and you get 1 month free). All you have to buy is the USB thing which costs 1400 cordobas.

I went to the Kiosk in the central area of MultiCentro Las Americas in the Bello Horizonte area and the person in charge zoomed into my exact location and showed me the exact speed I would be getting... for me it would be on the high end as there is a tower close by, his map was much more detailed than the one shown on the www.yota.com.ni page, so if you are very interested visit one of their 4 locations (listed on the webpage).

When I was there, within seconds he had 6 people rounded up for demonstrations of the service, and out of those 6, three purchased it on the spot... and I will be purchasing it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: YOTA!

Coverage in Managua only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Coverage in Managua only.
    They have plans to expand soon! and with the demand they are seeing, either Claro and Movistar will change things up and get better or Yota will be forced to expand all over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    They have plans to expand soon! and with the demand they are seeing, either Claro and Movistar will change things up and get better or Yota will be forced to expand all over.
    I'm not holding my breath.

I am now an official user of YOTA, however I have not yet canceled my Movistar 3.5G plan.

Conveniently I have both computers right next to each other on my desk. So I tried a bunch of websites including la prensa, youtube, movie sites, and even Skype. YOTA makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

Everything loads super quick with no delay. I first loaded some 9 minute long Thomas the train movies on both computers for my son, Movistar kept on trying to load it, and it kept pausing, in the mean time same link on Yota had already completely loaded!

I then downloaded a 1 hour and 45 minute movie in less than 20 minutes! I made some skype calls, which have lately been really pissing me off on Movistar and it made a world of difference. I even made two video calls, not much delay that I could see or hear.

So if I decide today that I do not like the Yota, all I have to do is take it back before 7PM and they give me my money back. I have a free month of the service till July 1st, and I can pay for the next month or I can not, no fines or anything. If I want to take 2 months or more off from using Yota, no big deal, just pay when I want to use it again!

You do not have to have residency, citizenship, or even credit to buy this! No hassels like Claro and Movistar.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    I am now an official user of YOTA, however I have not yet canceled my Movistar 3.5G plan.

Conveniently I have both computers right next to each other on my desk. So I tried a bunch of websites including la prensa, youtube, movie sites, and even Skype. YOTA makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

Everything loads super quick with no delay. I first loaded some 9 minute long Thomas the train movies on both computers for my son, Movistar kept on trying to load it, and it kept pausing, in the mean time same link on Yota had already completely loaded!

I then downloaded a 1 hour and 45 minute movie in less than 20 minutes! I made some skype calls, which have lately been really pissing me off on Movistar and it made a world of difference. I even made two video calls, not much delay that I could see or hear.

So if I decide today that I do not like the Yota, all I have to do is take it back before 7PM and they give me my money back. I have a free month of the service till July 1st, and I can pay for the next month or I can not, no fines or anything. If I want to take 2 months or more off from using Yota, no big deal, just pay when I want to use it again!

You do not have to have residency, citizenship, or even credit to buy this! No hassels like Claro and Movistar.
    Sounds great, guess we will have to wait to see what roadblocks are on the horizon.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yea Dan, his B.I.L. is gone come along and either mash it up or trade it for sexual favors to yet another girl friend....

Or perhaps something unexpected out of the blue...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Trying to pay my Yota internet service turned out to be a bit more complicated than the Yota salesman seemed to make it.

First, remember that they do not send bills to your house since there is no contract. So according to the Yota salesman I could pay my bill at Banco BAC. I went to the Centro Comercial office today, where there was surprisingly NO one in line! Went up to the cashiers window, and told them I needed to pay my Yota internet service. The lady told me that at this time they have not begun taking payments for Yota, since Yota had not informed them yet how to do so.

I told her that I was told to simply bring the Jingle box to BAC, there is a bar code on it and 2 numbers, a serial number and a MAC number. She still said she could not do anything for me, so I asked to speak to the manager. He quickly came out, and I told him I was supposed to pay my internet service so on the 1st of July I do not lose my service, he could not help me, so I asked him to call Yota and see what should be done.

The manager made the call to Yota, and they apparently told him that I was supposed to have some 9 digit account that allows me to pay them. Well the 2 numbers on the box of the Jingle were over 12 digits each, so these were not it...

I will have to make a stop to one of the Yota kiosks tomorrow and try to pay this.

(to be continued...)

I was in Nicaragua recently and during my stay at Barcelo Managua, I ran into C level officers for Yota that were visiting. I spoke to some of them over sushi with my wife they seem to have an agressive marketing strategy and have done tons of sales presentation/training but their customer service infrastructure is piss poor, but thats because they are russians, they do not believe in customer service compared to the US or even what Claro/Movistar might have.

By customer service infrastructure I mean all encompassing from receiving bill to technical support over the phone. Its going to be piss poor until they have an ROI or able to forecast high sales.

My 2 cents over conversation over some sushi and some drinks.

At 10AM on July 1st my internet cut out, and I was forced to go handle paying Yota. Yota took the payment at their Kiosk location in Metro Centro, and then walked me through the process of registering.

What you end up doing is making an online account that you deposit money into, as much as you like, and then you can either buy one day service or one month service. The proecess was fairly simple, but it could not be completed at Metro Centro, so I had to do it at home. When I got home and tried to login to my account I kept getting an error, so I called Yota's number, quickly spoke to a representative, and they walked me through the error message.

I think they need to fix their webpage so its complete and working, but they offered me very good service after that bit of hassle.

Oh, and now I can pay at BAC using a special 9 digit number they gave me, or my phone number.

Blog Entries

No YOTA here, but this is my first posts with my Claro 3G. I have the 256, $35 a month. I seldom if ever download much, maybe it will be too slow, but I bet it will be quicker than walking out to the road to pirate a signal or going to the cyber.

Miracles can happen.

For about 2 weeks Yota had been acting up, and I had quite a few connection problems, where my connection would just drop off. This may have been caused by the rain and storms that passed through. Even with all these connection drops, everyone managed to get great speed, plenty of movies watched when it was raining.

I did however have 1 day, about two days ago, that was just impossible, and was really pissing me off. At about 9AM the internet just coming and going, and when it was connected I could not log on. Another portion of the time the jingle as they call the dongle, kept trying to get me a IP with no success. All during this we had 2 to 3 bars out of 4 in connect strength. The following day things were back to normal.

Blog Entries

My borrowed 128k Claro chip has acted up since yesterday. I've been using a wi-fi instead. The Claro software says the device works, but can't connect to the server.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    My borrowed 128k Claro chip has acted up since yesterday. I've been using a wi-fi instead. The Claro software says the device works, but can't connect to the server.
    my neighbor and i had the same problem..i think claro..changed everyones billing dates.went there this morning..siad my bill was over due..paid it..and am on line

Blog Entries

That's what we were wondering, if it was a billing thing.

Blog Entries

3 people here with Claro told me yesterday told me there service was down, the "jingle stick" showed a blue light, mine was fine. Confirmed this morning it is something to do with billing and all 3 have a different scenerio. Going down tomorrow to try and pay mine, I am sure there will be a story in it.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Sung to the ELO tune....

It's a Billi'n thing,
    It's a terrible thing to lose
    It's a given thing
    What a terrible thing to lose.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Sir 3F .... Is Yota still workin for you?

IIRC you mentioned in another thread that you seen a slowdown in service??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Sir 3F .... Is Yota still workin for you?

IIRC you mentioned in another thread that you seen a slowdown in service??
    It has slowed down quite a bit for movie watching and even youtube. I still can make skype calls and browse the internet with ease though.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My 128K modem from Claro acts up every day sometimes a couple times for the day.

I just shut everything down for about 5 minutes and get right back on.

I pay 512 Cordobas a month for it and it is taken care of by the management at the plant, for the last 2 or 3 months I guess they have kept it current, having to shut down and restart is the only problem I know of.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Just thinking with all of the phone maker turning to canal digger..

What ever became of Yota - Are they still around?

Blog Entries

Believe so but not 100% sure.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

There web site is still live - and their map still just shows MGA.

Surprised that ppl only discuss Claro and Movistar - 'cept most of you are not in MGA..

Yota is still around. They have kiosks in all the malls and ads on all the streets.
    Wouldnt work for me though cause i only have an android tablet.
    I had to go with ibw.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Yes Yota is still here. We borrowed a thumb USB connection from a friend when we 1st arrived here a few yrs back--and it worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast