Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for the right transport vehicle

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for the right transport vehicle

Hey, the thought just came to me, about 10-12 years ago one of my clients bought a deuce and a half NATO military truck for troop transport....

That thing run circles around any of the Russian stuff here, I think they got it for 5k, one of the missionary groups has one still getting the job done in this area out in the bush, I cannot remember the community they are based in but It I think would serve your your purposes well...

I think it has a 5,000 pound payload and will walk the dog in what you are describing....

MACK type rear axles with the worm and screw drives, tandem axle 8 non directional tires, plus front steering axle is driven as well, seats in the rear, and can be canvas covered, a MAN of a truck..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

http://www.swampbuggiesfl.com/ Maybe they can help(they might have a used one).

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for the right transport vehicle - A fertilizing trike buggy?

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    I had thought that these would make an excellent bus from Managua to Puerto Cabezas as an express unit. Rough roads don't effect these units with the expanded balloon tires so 40 to 50 mph would get ya there in a short.
    The problem in Nicaragua with public bus transportation is that the public thinks that it must travel super cheap and is accustomed to travelling overloaded. One of these contraptions on a public route could not make money because 1) the government sets the rates rather than the marketplace, and 2) there would be tremendous pressure on the operator to overload - which canīt work with these tires.

Public bus route owners are a very jealous lot! It would be very difficult to get a special route granted over an existing destination (eg Managua to Puerto Cabezas) even though the vehicle would offer a specialized service! Iīm sure that the myriad of people here who wonīt get on a ĻpapiloteĻ (La Costeņa) under any circumstance would pay any price to make the trip in one of these vehicles instead of the Ļchicken busĻ! Perhaps non-routed travel on a routine basis could be done with a tourist bus permit instead of an inter-urban bus route permit.

A private transport service might work here, however. It would probably make even more sense in backcountry areas where public roads donīt exist and present services do not and cannot operate. In this case, the owner/operator can set his rates and survive or perish based on user acceptance. I know of several potential routes like this that do have enough people to make it a consideration.

The estimated price for the machine sounds very attractive. Can we get any operating costs and photos for such a unit?

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

I'll do a little investigation work on this and respond.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post

Hey, the thought just came to me, about 10-12 years ago one of my clients bought a deuce and a half NATO military truck for troop transport...
    Those are cool vehicles. Donīt know where Iīd get parts, though.

I tend to like the fertilizer buggy idea best at this point because it is a low impact machine that would not leave ruts in the field. I think that the troop transport wonīt get stuck easily, but, it certainly will leave its mark. The Florida Marsh Buggy also looks like a good option. Doesnīt look like the high CG and relatively narrow wheel base are going to allow very high (or safe) top speeds, though.

Canīt find postings or a picture online of a fertilizer buggy, however!

The Adventists in Tasba Raya (Francia Sirpe) are the ones with the troop carrier I believe. I happened to see it in Puerto Cabezas last time I was there.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post

I tend to like the fertilizer buggy idea best at this point because it is a low impact machine that would not leave ruts in the field. I think that the troop transport wonīt get stuck easily, but, it certainly will leave its mark. The Florida Marsh Buggy also looks like a good option. Doesnīt look like the high CG and relatively narrow wheel base are going to allow very high (or safe) top speeds, though.

Canīt find postings or a picture online of a fertilizer buggy, however!
    Okay, here are two sites that have these photos. Bear in mind that there are smaller versions of these swamp buggies.

http://www.painetworks.com/previewsrf/jq/jq0973.html
    http://www.agcocorp.com/products/terragator.aspx

Hope that this helps.

Here is the site of a used terragator or Big A, for $8,500.00

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings...x?OHID=5807858

Blog Entries

The Big A or Terragator looks like more of a specialized tractor than a converted truck as I had imagined. What I saw in Gittings looked much like a conventional small truck body. It seems to me that a truck could more easily be converted to passenger service than the tractor which has so much space allocated to the driverīs cab.

I couldnīt find smaller versions of the Big A either. Their website is too complex and data hungry to open and navigate here in Alamikamba.

Aisabe,
    Papatara

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    The Big A or Terragator looks like more of a specialized tractor than a converted truck as I had imagined. What I saw in Gittings looked much like a conventional small truck body. It seems to me that a truck could more easily be converted to passenger service than the tractor which has so much space allocated to the driverīs cab.

I couldnīt find smaller versions of the Big A either. Their website is too complex and data hungry to open and navigate here in Alamikamba.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    I too have seen a conventional truck with balloon tires, but I think that they were not a tricycle geared unit. These tractor looking units move along at speeds far in excess of the 22mph that most tractors move at.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    I too have seen a conventional truck with balloon tires, but I think that they were not a tricycle geared unit. These tractor looking units move along at speeds far in excess of the 22mph that most tractors move at.
    Up here we have bubba's doing lifts in "Puck" unit lift increments.. Thats right Hockey puck....

Typically One "Puck" between the frame and the body will let you move up to 1" to allow 33" or 34" tires to be used, two puck = 36" or 38" etc etc..

Mostly on Jeep XJ's and 4.0L Cherokees though.. I do not think I have ever seen one of them (Jeeps) down there though (lifted or stock)..

Parts will be problimatic though.. Remember with a Jeep parts are cheap and plentifull .. They have to be because you need so many
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Yep, we got 'em. Most of the vehicles with extreme lifts are 4x4 trucks that require a 6' step ladder to make entry. Actually these are unsafe due to being top heavy.

On the 2.5 ton truck, you would would have to buy wheels , plus the lift kits

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbO19A3ojwI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbO19A3ojwI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12