Thread: Nicaragua: Dia de los Muertos

Default Nicaragua: Dia de los Muertos

"Dia de los Muertos" or "Día de los Difuntos" is typically on November 2nd of every year in Nicaragua.

Families pour into the cemeteries with flowers and arrangements for the graves of their loved ones passed. Others bring Mariachi's and Sweets to the grave, such as Cajetas, and buñuelo's. Sopa de borracha is also very popular on this day.

Masses are offered throughout the country in honor of the dead.

Anyone have some good pictures to share?

Today is "Dia de Los Difuntos"

http://impreso.elnuevodiario.com.ni/...cionales/62977

In Managua they are expecting about 50,000 people in the graveyards between now and Sunday. Preparing with garbage service, police and cleaning.

Blog Entries

In a roughly similar gringo Catholic school celebration, my daughter's school had the kids dress as the saint of their choice yesterday, after letting them enjoy Halloween any way they liked.

She was Tinker Bell at the school Halloween party, and for the actual trick or treating, she was a traditional Nicaraguan dancer. Toward the end, she held her plastic pumpkin on her head and shouted, "Tortillas, tamales! Tortillas, tomates!"

I'm Confused, what was Tinkerbell the Saint of?

Blog Entries

Let's see, she's a pots and pans fairy in the books she has. Patron saint of cookware, I guess.

She dressed as three different things. Tink for the party, a Nica for trick or treating, and Saint Elizabeth of Portugal for all saints day. She's the patron saint of peacemakers.