Thread: What can I buy for $30,000.00 or less? (Housing)

Dave's not here man... MicroWISP's Avatar
    Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.

Smile What can I buy for $30,000.00 or less? (Housing)

Ok, how about it? Post real estate ads (with pictures if you can) or just post the info if you have it. What can you really buy for $30,000.00 or less in Nica.

I hope this takes off, I am really curious.
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Blog Entries

Real estate ads are rare in Nicaragua. Especially in that price range. The vast majority of property for sale isn't advertised in the sense we're used to. They just paint "Se Vende" on the wall and maybe a phone number.

MW,

in that price range, yo are not going to find much advertised at all, like john said. also, you will have much more luck working with a non-gringo realtor, or better yet, looking through local papers. most real estate services in nica are geared toward foreigners who are generally in a different market segment.

having said that, for 30k you will not very likely find much outside of some of the older barrios. thats not to say you cant find something deent in a relatively safe location, but your chances are much reduced. also, you will not likely find anything at all near the usual gringo haunts.

Actually, in the Managua area it is very common to find these houses advertised and with real estate agents. The issue is that you would tend to be better off purchasing a lot and building yourself.

I have used real estate agents, I have walked the streets, word of mouth, etc to find homes for sale, and they all have something in common, they are not worth the money. I have probably walked into more than a hundred houses for sale in this price range, they are either ready to fall down, or lacking in someway/ extremely odd (a house with 8 bedrooms, 8 toilets and NO outdoor space).

One area that I enjoy is Bello Horizonte in Managua, the houses for sale range from the mid U$30,000-U$100,000+. For U$40,000 you will get something that in my opinion is probably worth tearing down and rebuilding, but for that price range I could buy a lot and build a small house elsewhere (just no lots available in the area).

The other option is buying NEW in this price range (IT CAN BE DONE!, but NOT worth it.) there are several residential projects around Managua that are offering the American Dream to Not-Rich-Nicaraguans. For U$24,000 you get a TINY lot with a TINY new house, built cheaply (probably wont last 5-10 years). For the same money you could have a nice lot and start to build something of quality.

Also in the U$20,000-U$40,000 range you could get a house in an area thats not so comfortable. Theres a Business/House of alright size down the street from me selling for U$25,000 its not pretty, its pretty typical in construction. The reason you may not want something like this is because its sitting in an area that wouldn't be considered desirable to live, crime is extremely high, noise pollution is beyond reasonable (all hours of the night buses and drunks. On the other hand it would be great for any business catering to poor drunks

As a special Note in the Managua Area, if you don't mind taking advantage of other peoples losses... I have been approached by several vendors of the Oriental Market, whome had their businesses burn to the ground, asking me to buy their homes for half their value. They are in debt and need new merchandise and a new store built, their houses tend to be paid off and an easy way to solve their problem, but theres no time to wait so they slash the price.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sopmetimes it's better than money in the bank, most don't have homes worth a lot on US standards ...But most all are paid for...Now hwo is really better off?.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Advice in the USA is that you Have to be burdened down with a lot of dept or you just pay it out in Taxes.

Blog Entries

So you either pay big bucks to a bank or to Uncle Sam. Now, they're the same thing. Either way, you're paying big bucks to someone, and you'll likely never see it again. Equity is all that counts, and like JW said, sometimes the poor are better off than the rich.

Default Found this one...

Lake View Home Sites at High Elevations with Cooler Temperatures
    Lots Starting at US $30,000

On the shores of magnificent Apanas Lake, where coffee grows under 200-year-old oak trees and rolling green hills meet calm waters, and at an altitude ranging from 3,200 to 3,700 feet, temperatures average 65 to 78 degrees Farenheit year-round, making this location highly enjoyable for hiking, kayaking, fishing, & bird watching all from your backyard. Financing Available!

Checked out the development here http://www.apanaslake.com/

It looked pretty nice at $29,900.00 with financing too.

Come on guys, there has to be more...

Blog Entries

There is more but like another said, come down and look around...

With your feet on the ground and take a look around you, which does not cost so much really...You will have a better grasp of what you want and need....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

thats the lot, not the house and the lot. and thats what they start out at.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post
    Lake View Home Sites at High Elevations with Cooler Temperatures
    Lots Starting at US $30,000

On the shores of magnificent Apanas Lake, where coffee grows under 200-year-old oak trees and rolling green hills meet calm waters, and at an altitude ranging from 3,200 to 3,700 feet, temperatures average 65 to 78 degrees Farenheit year-round, making this location highly enjoyable for hiking, kayaking, fishing, & bird watching all from your backyard. Financing Available!

Checked out the development here http://www.apanaslake.com/

It looked pretty nice at $29,900.00 with financing too.

Come on guys, there has to be more...
    Yeah, but the financing terms are 5 years, and the property will not be ready until 5 years (if ever, by Nica standards) - that doesn't sound like financing, that sounds like a layaway plus interest. I got $20 bucks that it turns out to be throwaway, not layaway.

In the state of Leon, you can easily buy 5 acres for 30k, walking distance to the beach.

Blog Entries

And put you a checken shack on it and a latrine and with a couple of dogs and a machette and a pistol feel right at home....

PS the security system is advised anywhere......

Default Las Fincas

And how about Las Fincas http://www.nicadev.com/properties.html

Out of the range by 5K 'cause they start at 35K, but looks nice.

Tamarindo Beach has some lots at $19,000, small at 5,100 sq ft and off the beach, but affordable.

Here is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in Managua in the San Rafael del Sur area for $25,000 - looks like a cute home in reasonable condition http://www.vianica.com/viewproperty/178

Across the water from Pearl Lagoon are these lots at $19,000. 50 meters X 350 meters. (methinks these are real nice for a beach house!) http://www.vianica.com/viewproperty/112

This little place went for $7,000 in the Las Penitas area of Leon http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listings/details/1/2/75

A 2 year old two bedroom - bath and a half in Managua near the Restaurante El Madrono that sold for $19,000. http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listings/details/7/1/67

Here is a cute 2 bedroom 1 bath with a hot tub in Las Penitas for $29,000. http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listi...tails/17/1/113

Interesting single in Poneloya here for $21,000 http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listi...tails/17/2/102

Las Penitas single for $19,500 http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listings/details/17/2/85

These are a few I've found, figured you guys could show some more if you know of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    And put you a checken shack on it and a latrine and with a couple of dogs and a machette and a pistol feel right at home....

PS the security system is advised anywhere......

Hell, that's where I am now, lol. :LMAO:

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    There is more but like another said, come down and look around...

With your feet on the ground and take a look around you, which does not cost so much really...You will have a better grasp of what you want and need....

JW, will be down next month for quite a while! I already have a place to stay but I am looking at long term options.

I can get you a house in a little neighborhood called Reparto Schick to the South of my home for U$5,000.

It sits in front of a childrens park, the house is made of cement block and has a bathroom, its not finished so for now its a 1 bedroom, the rear of the house is semi constructed missing the roof and the floor.

I just suggest that from the hours of sunset to sunrise, you live somewhere else.

Default Scary neiborhood!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    I can get you a house in a little neighborhood called Reparto Schick to the South of my home for U$5,000.

It sits in front of a childrens park, the house is made of cement block and has a bathroom, its not finished so for now its a 1 bedroom, the rear of the house is semi constructed missing the roof and the floor.

I just suggest that from the hours of sunset to sunrise, you live somewhere else.
    Hey tres, that sounds pretty rough, lol. In front of a children's park too? I was going to title the original post, "What can you get for $20,000.00. Sounds like $30,000.00 was a better number. Next one will be higher...

For 30,000 you can have the nicest house in the entire barrio of La Isla De Amor in Corinto. Your only two blocks from the police, three blocks from the harbor but you might want to add stilts as it floods with up to three feet of water on extra high tides (four times a year). There is a lot of civic pride in this area because the people wont move they tell me that the other barrios "son por la verga, soy de la Isla". It's sorta the Mogadishu de la Pacifica.:barf:

Blog Entries

Great Thread Micro

I still feel detached, and I always do, looking on the computer for places to buy. You have to start someplace though.

So do you have to be near any place in particular or is the whole country under consideration? It looks to me that the the Atlantic Side has more opportunities for affordable waterfront than the Pacific, but then there are pirates over there and I think the Colombians want the place too.

Default Pacific Please

Hey randude,

I would prefer the Pacific over the DAC, but you never know. If things go as planned I will probably buy in a higher end range, but I was really curious what you can get for 30K. So far I got a lot of negative feedback for that price range instead of properties, but that's ok.

Hope to be down next month to spend some time and check things out. Of course I will ask for a lot of advice from all in the near future.

Have a great day!