Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On this date in 1979

Blog Entries

Default On this date in 1979

Donna Summer's Hot Stuff was Billboard's #1 hit, The Dukes of Hazzard was in its first summer rerun season, John Wayne (not the TRN kind) had recently passed away, Apocalypse Now was one month from U.S. release, Jimmy Carter had led the US into a period of malaise, and some scruffy Soviet-backed thugs staged a violent coup in Central America, replacing a capitalist dictator with a Marxist dictator.

I was a pimpley teenager in Hickville building model airplanes and wondering how to get laid.

Where were you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: On this date in 1979

Just moved to Fort Lauderdale from Ohio with my wife and 2 year old son and started a computer aided design service bureau. Mostly I was wondering how I was going to pay back the SBA loan.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was in 4th Grade in Esteli,back then I had my 2 little sisters and 1 brother,meself being the oldest.
    my mom used to work for the back them Somoza own Nicaragua Cigars.
    We used to make weekend trip to Las Lajas,near Achuapa.where I would enjoy horseback riding ,swimming and fishing with my dad at an early age.

When the $hit hit the fan,my mom fled to mexico,taking my little brother9then 4YO, and the older sister with her),been apart ever since.

If I ever regret anything in life,is not growing up as a whole family,not spending my entire childhood with my other 3 brothers and sisters,I'd give my life to change that over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Donna Summer's Hot Stuff was Billboard's #1 hit, The Dukes of Hazzard was in its first summer rerun season, John Wayne (not the TRN kind) had recently passed away, Apocalypse Now was one month from U.S. release, Jimmy Carter had led the US into a period of malaise, and some scruffy Soviet-backed thugs staged a violent coup in Central America, replacing a capitalist dictator with a Marxist dictator.

I was a pimpley teenager in Hickville building model airplanes and wondering how to get laid.

Where were you?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I would have been 13 and working in the Greenhouse. Evenings spent listening to an old Gigant JVC world band receiver. Radio Moscow, Radio Netherlands, Radio Canada, BBC, some VOA I picked up at a Flea Market for something like $5.. The laughter with the stereotypical "Bourgeois western Imperialist Capitalist" .. Stories which were obvious Communist Fabrication..
    Before being marched to the Greenhouse for after school chores in any available light I may have caught a rerun or two of Emergency, 1 Adam 12, Hogans Hero's, and of course Gilligan's island.

I believe that is the Year "Friday Night Videos" started so I would have watched that on a 21" B&W TV after midnight.. It became mine after the family purchased the first colour set for the olympics 3 yrs previous..

I probably would have spent the summer cussing at the Liberals (PET) and praising Joe (PCs) .. I vividly remember 19c/ ltr gas ...

My Dad just bought a 1979 Ford LTD Country squire wagon that was the replacement for the same in 1974 trim.. Other than the Country Squire had the lovely vinyl picture of wood pasted to the side.. Eventually It became my vehicle after it was thoroughly beaten up by the business and finally succumbed to a demolition derby, lost at my hands, in 1988...

It was probably the last year my Dad turned a profit of any substantial amount until the late 80's .. Almost being wiped out in the winter of 1981...

OOps.. Forgot to Mention.. Maria mentioned that she and her sisters would be out selling Nacotomallies 3 days a week until the Sandies came to power.. Se told me she saw tanks and heard the gunfire that Day/week but there was not much else before that of note before or after in Barrio Santa Ana
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 07-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Hmmm, I would have been 11, living in Suwanee Ga., totally immersed in 7th grade (skipped a year) and helping out in the library 'cause it was my favorite place to be, then doing chores once home, taking care of 24 cats and 36 dogs (or was it the other way around???) and working alongside my 2 sisters in the Christmas tree fields we had planted. On weekends and sometimes after school, I would work at a nearby horse farm for a small Russian man, $1 an hour to shovel out the stalls then I got to ride when all the work was done.
    We lived down a long dirt road and I didn't spend anytime with the kids from our hicksville school, simply didn't have anything in common with them as I was a real bookworm. I'd take long walks exploring the woods, get lost in Sci Fi books, and occasionally get beaten up by the large redneck girl who lived in the trailer park at the end of our road (had something to do with me being a smart*ss and not knowing when to close my mouth!)
    Last edited by catahoula fan; 07-19-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

We had a '71 Ford Torino wagon, bright red with fake wood on the side. I learned to drive in it, and naively hoped it would be my hand-me-down car one day. But my brother got it and it's huge V-8 engine. I'm glad now I didn't get the station wagon.

Disco music and culture was raging in its death throes, soon to be killed off completely by the "Disco Sucks" movement as well as sinking into the abyss of its own absurd excesses. Country music was in its prime that year, in my opinion. Punk was real, not Green Day fake punk. Electronic synthesizers and click tracks had yet to destroy the integrity of pop music.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Back then,my dad had 4 vehicles,2 Jeep willis,1 Datsun 1400, and a willis truck,which he converted the bed to a huge wooden bed,used for selling veggies all the way to Nueva Guinea,this was when Nueva Guinea had NO paved road,and they were starting many colonies amongst them was the first called Verdun and Yolaina.
    I remember vividly that those trips to Nueva Guinea were my favorite.

The music back then, in my opinion was some of the BEST ever, Air supply was coming about,Chicago,grupo ABBA,disco music,donna summer was still being played.

awwww sigh: The best memories EVER

We had a '71 Ford Torino wagon, bright red with fake wood on the side. I learned to drive in it, and naively hoped it would be my hand-me-down car one day. But my brother got it and it's huge V-8 engine. I'm glad now I didn't get the station wagon.

Disco music and culture was raging in its death throes, soon to be killed off completely by the "Disco Sucks" movement as well as sinking into the abyss of its own absurd excesses. Country music was in its prime that year, in my opinion. Punk was real, not Green Day fake punk. Electronic synthesizers and click tracks had yet to destroy the integrity of pop music.

Blog Entries

I had an Oldsmobile DIESEL. at the time. They had just arrived. Engine disintegrated twice. A real POS.

While driving it down from Ohio the throttle quit working. I figured out that a cotter pin fell off in the linkage, so I dug into my fishing tackle box , put a hook in it, bent it closed with my fishing pliers and never had to fix it again.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

ENDLESS SUMMER - i had graduated from high school in may of '79 worked at a garage - i took out engines and transmissions - my boss did the hard work thereafter. had a 77 firebird that had the transam wheels and had a 1960 corvette. sold both by the summer of '80 to go to college. eom.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Talking Re: On this date in 1979

... Jimmy Carter had led the US into a period of malaise...

Where were you?
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, spreading mayonnaise.

Some things NEVER change.
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

jimmuh, that was real mean what you said to jonh. that's why i don't think you are the real jimmy carter. that guy was a wimp.... well except for his hatred of israel.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
    Some things NEVER change.
    You got that right! No DDT, that wasn't mean, the truth shall set you free!

Blog Entries

Another 1979 memory, I finished 9th grade that June where I'd taken Spanish II from one of the coolest teachers in the system, a Cuban exile who was also a pilot. He and the school's principal owned a Piper Tri-Pacer together. I never got to ride in it but it was great to "talk shop" at school.

I remember my Texas Instruments digital watch, with the evil red glowing numbers. I thought it was so damn cool.

You got that right! No DDT, that wasn't mean, the truth shall set you free!
    shhhhhh! (i knew it was the truth, just trying to shame a liberal....)

Another 1979 memory, I finished 9th grade that June where I'd taken Spanish II from one of the coolest teachers in the system, a Cuban exile who was also a pilot. He and the school's principal owned a Piper Tri-Pacer together. I never got to ride in it but it was great to "talk shop" at school.

I remember my Texas Instruments digital watch, with the evil red glowing numbers. I thought it was so damn cool.
    it was

Blog Entries

You had one, too?

You had one, too?
    no, i wasn't that cool

Blog Entries

But you had cool cars. I never had a car at all until about my third year of college, and it was a '79 Buick Century sedan. One day I'll own a cool car...

There's probably a big fiesta in Managua
    Dios es Amor!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

But you had cool cars. I never had a car at all until about my third year of college, and it was a '79 Buick Century sedan. One day I'll own a cool car...
    There's a cool 67 on the Managua Craig's list..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Don't taunt me, I saw a '68 Mustang online last night.

I was 11 years old and living in Mexico City. I remember reading the famous/infamous Mexico City News about Somoza taking off and the Sandinistas taking over. It was a pretty dire article. I remember the picture of Somoza for the article.

We had cablevision at the time, with two channels from the US, and I too had discovered "Friday Night Videos" or was it Burt Shurgarmans, I think that is his name, Midnight Special, or was that earlier.

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Jimmy Carter had led the US into a period of malaise, and some scruffy Soviet-backed thugs staged a violent coup in Central America, replacing a capitalist dictator with a Marxist dictator.

Where were you?
    I was (unsuccessfully) trying to forget about my dream to live out the rest of my life with the Miskito Indians! I had recently (December '78) left Prinzapolka because of the armed conflict, political situation, collapsing economy, and personal responsibilities towards wife and newborn daughter.

I warned my nica friends that Jimmy Carter's attitude and actions did not represent the longterm past or future US position. And, that the consequences of what was about to happen would probably not be advantageous for the Nicaraguan people. Nobody listened.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    Nobody listened.
    They still don't.

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Talking Re: On this date in 1979

They still don't.
    They would not listen
    they're not list'ning still
    perhaps they never will.

I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast