Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to order the RIGHT beef Cuts

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default How to order the RIGHT beef Cuts

This post was inspired by John's thread " my beef with beef"

Nicaragua offers great beef,often times the main issues are the cuts and the way of cooking it.

I often tell folks the BEST way to get what you want is to visit a certified carniceria and ask for the prime cuts.

Here are the MAIN PRIME beef cuts and how they are named in Nicaragua:

Rib Eye: Lomo

Top Sirloin: Cabeza De Lomo

Inside or Top Round: Posta Negra

Sirloin Tip: Posta Redonda

Now go get some prime cuts ,and please don't mash 'em up to pieces like MOST Nicaraguans will with a rib eye cut .

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to order the RIGHT beef Cuts

The cut known in the US as filet mignon, how do you get that cut here? Filet Mignon on a restaurant menu doesn't seem to be the same cut.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Never seen "posta redonda", good to know! Now, how do I ask a qualified butcher for Tri Tip??? Man, do I miss that cut of beef.

We Americans are very spoiled when it comes to our food. Getting a thick, marbled cut of beef ain't nothing in the US, but can be extremely hard to find here, and it will cost an arm and a leg when you do find it. Sure wish our cow plan for the finca had worked out.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

how is it piedrasyolas can have the best hamburger in the world? where do they get their meat?

it really is the best burger in the world and the view is pretty darn good too.....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

You gotta try the burgers at Casa de Campo!

Blog Entries

The BEST burger at PEPO IMO,was not even a beef burger,it was the Lobster Burger,with avocado , man oh man was it good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post

donde esta casa de campo?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Filet Mignon: Lomo De Costilla,Sin Las Costillas.
    Any butcher should be able to take out the lomo out of the costillas/ribs.

The cut known in the US as filet mignon, how do you get that cut here? Filet Mignon on a restaurant menu doesn't seem to be the same cut.

Blog Entries

Ask the butcher for the: Espuela.
    In Nicaragua I recommend,become acquainted with the butcher,by all means don't be cheap,most of these cuts WILL NOT be cheap,since it will involved sacrificing meat, which involves weight etc. from the butchers side.
    Once the butcher,gets to know you,and become his regular customer he will understand you want nothing but the BEST,you will get what you are asking for.
    Most butchers(unless you know cuts etc) WILL give you something close or part of what you want,if you don't follow my advise above.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Now, how do I ask a qualified butcher for Tri Tip??? Man, do I miss that cut of beef.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    About 15 minutes south of Jinotepe, km 61.

Just a few clicks away from my house! Do a search for "casa de campo" for the post about the restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Never seen "posta redonda", good to know! Now, how do I ask a qualified butcher for Tri Tip???

We Americans are very spoiled when it comes to our food. Getting a thick, marbled cut of beef ain't nothing in the US, but can be extremely hard to find here, and it will cost an arm and a leg when you do find it. Sure wish our cow plan for the finca had worked out.
    nica beef is lean because it does not have growth hormones injected into it.

you are eating one of the best meats in the world. No chemicals, just grass and sun....
    that being said, dont trim the fat if you want flavor.

Tri-tip is called PUYASO in Nicaragua, Picanha in brazil. One of my favorite cuts because......
    it is... well.....succulent and marbled as gringos say!

A place in Matagalpa called el Pullazo is famous for it:

I had some links to the place, but I guess I was punished by having subsequent posts sent to a MODERATION/CENSORSHIP QUEUE!!!. If posting links to restaurants is not allowed then I had no idea!
    Last edited by Gueguense; 08-08-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gueguense View Post

you are eating one of the best meats in the world. No chemicals, just grass and sun....

Tri-tip is called PUYASO in Nicaragua, Picanha in brazil. One of my favorite cuts because......
    it is... well.....succulent and marbled as gringos say!

A place in Matagalpa called el Pullazo is famous for it:

I had some links to the place, but I guess I was punished by having subsequent posts sent to a MODERATION/CENSORSHIP QUEUE!!!. If posting links to restaurants is not allowed then I had no idea!
    "Best Meats in the World" man you haven't been to Corn Island, the beef I bought last week must have come from a cow older than me.

Blog Entries

Jonh Fillet Mignon is a recipe made from the Tenderloin cut of the beef. They take the cubes of meat and wrap them in bacon. Over the years that has become my steak of choice.

wiki

A beef tenderloin, known as an eye fillet in New Zealand and Australia, filet in France and fillet in England, is cut from the loin of beef. As with all quadrupeds, the tenderloin refers to the psoas major muscle anterior to the transverse processes of the lumbar vertebrae, near the kidneys. This muscle does very little work, so it is the most tender part of the beef. The tenderloin can either be cut for roasts or for steaks. Tenderloins from steers and heifers are most common at retail, but those from cows are common in foodservice applications, such as less expensive steakhouses.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

When Marvin and I visited Port he laughed when I ordered a Hamburger, he ordered Filet Mignon, 10 minutes later the waitress came back to the table (never a good sign) and asked if he wanted it with Beef or Chicken. Always order the burger, you will only be mildly dissapointed.

[QUOTE=Gueguense;102081]nica beef is lean because it does not have growth hormones injected into it.

As one who has raised beef all his life. I can say that no beef anywhere has growth hormones injected into it! Beef in Nicaragua and most of Latin America is naturally lean and can tend to be tough if not handled right for several reasons. First the cattle are mostly of Bos Tarus breeds which are naturally lean and do not marble well. As was stated they generally eat only grass. It takes grain to produce the white fat marbling that gives US beef its flavor and juiciness even in the European breeds common in the US. The last factor is age. Grass fed cattle grow slower and tend to be older when killed this results in a courser muscled product. All premium beef in the US is less than a year old.

I thoroughly enjoy the local beef but it is a completely different eating and cooking experience. Having the local butcher duplicate US cuts will not duplicate a US beef eating experience.

comer bueno
    Last edited by goatboss; 08-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    "Best Meats in the World" man you haven't been to Corn Island, the beef I bought last week must have come from a cow older than me.
    Man, you probably got some cabro(goat) instead of beef...........

learn your cuts man....cant go wrong with cabeza de lomo or contralomo

Blog Entries

Butchered animals all my life, can give you the details from head to toe, everything in between. Bad beef is just that, no matter how you cut it. Mierda.....

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Butchered animals all my life, can give you the details from head to toe, everything in between. Bad beef is just that, no matter how you cut it. Mierda.....
    seems you got scammed by some piricuaco butcher then.....if that fails then get pork..frito de chancho..... chicharron with chunks of meat attached.....the best snack around!

It is crazy but here in the states, american pork is like that nica beef you complained...tough and dry....

the no cholesterol craze has gone too far!

Blog Entries

Most of the time here I go for Pork. Beef here is not so good, sometimes you catch a good killing going on and get an ok piece. I always try to go into the "butchering area" and cut my own, what a mess. Cutting out a Filet with a machete takes practice.

Worked up in the Minneapolis area for several months one year, Pork was king, and damn good too.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=goatboss;102108]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gueguense View Post

As one who has raised beef all his life. I can say that no beef anywhere has growth hormones injected into it! Beef in Nicaragua and most of Latin America is naturally lean and can tend to be tough if not handled right for several reasons. First the cattle are mostly of Bos Tarus breeds which are naturally lean and do not marble well. As was stated they generally eat only grass. It takes grain to produce the white fat marbling that gives US beef its flavor and juiciness even in the European breeds common in the US. The last factor is age. Grass fed cattle grow slower and tend to be older when killed this results in a courser muscled product. All premium beef in the US is less than a year old.

I thoroughly enjoy the local beef but it is a completely different eating and cooking experience. Having the local butcher duplicate US cuts will not duplicate a US beef eating experience.

comer bueno

This seems to make sense.

Growing up as a boy we grew some cows. They were Angus crossed with Holstien, White face crossed from Holstien. They were the offspring of Dairy cattle. If memory serves, they bread the dairy cattle so they would keep making milk and we would buy very cheap the offspring. Our cattle would be bottle fed from us until they could eat grass. As a boy I never understood why the meat was different than what we could buy at the store.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Freshly killed cow in the States is not much different than here, aging is the thing that makes great beef, as pointed out the grain fed beef will have the fat so desired by many. Makes me want to buy a cow and feed it corn. Rib-Eye is my cut, medium rare is just fine, baked potato, a salad. that is real nice.

Kev, next time you're in Managua, go to Nuevo Carnic (Km 10.5 Carr Norte, 800 meters towards the lake). Go past the factory until the road ends, that's where you can buy vacuum-packed whole ribeyes for around $2 a pound. The quality is awesome! Trust me. Their contact info is 2-233-1184, 2-233-1186, www.nuevocarnic.com.ni

I still haven't found a reliable place for real baking taters...

Blog Entries

I know some folks that grow stuff indoors.

The point is, you can create any kind of environment you want to grow anything you want. You just have to know what the plants want.

Now with some things the issue is amount of sunlight. You have to have a season with varying hours of sunlight to make some products.

A classic example is you have something that grows outdoor. It only sees 12 of sunlight a day in the tropics, and the thing you want to grow wants to see varying lighting like a northern hemisphere season. You can simulate that with artificial lighting outdoors.

Compact fluorescent lighting fixtures are fantastic sources of usable lighting for plants with low wattage requirements. You do not have to have the intensity of the sun in order to fool a plant. In a small garden plot you could protect an area from rain, add some lighting and you can grow something that is not native to the area. You could grow some potatoes in an area the size of a car tire and use like 4 26watt bulbs for a few hours in the evening. Sounds like a cool experiment to me.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I know some folks that grow stuff indoors.

The point is, you can create any kind of environment you want to grow anything you want. You just have to know what the plants want.

Now with some things the issue is amount of sunlight. You have to have a season with varying hours of sunlight to make some products.

A classic example is you have something that grows outdoor. It only sees 12 of sunlight a day in the tropics, and the thing you want to grow wants to see varying lighting like a northern hemisphere season. You can simulate that with artificial lighting outdoors.

Compact fluorescent lighting fixtures are fantastic sources of usable lighting for plants with low wattage requirements. You do not have to have the intensity of the sun in order to fool a plant. In a small garden plot you could protect an area from rain, add some lighting and you can grow something that is not native to the area. You could grow some potatoes in an area the size of a car tire and use like 4 26watt bulbs for a few hours in the evening. Sounds like a cool experiment to me.

An experiment maybe, economical, doubtful. The "stuff" being grown indoors has a pound value 100's of times that of potatoes.

People here all the time kid me, why not grow "stuff", the truthful answer, tomatoes are worth more here.

Started you 2 Avocado trees yesterday, anticipating you in 2-3 years, I am told they will bear in 5, most books say 7-10, but we get more rain than most, I planted some almost 2 years ago and they are nearing 10 feet tall. I have more than a dozen, but planted some from old trees with great fruit.

A small piece of property is available next to me, no idea who owns it, not important. I started planting it for you, buy a few sheets of zinc to start and soon you are a genuine Squatter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast