Thread: Another Full Day...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Another Full Day...

Life in Nicaragua has been super chaotic lately, and there seems to be no end in sight. We've doubled our efforts at getting our products out, I'm advertising for 2 markets now, and the downtime I used to enjoy with tunes and Toña seems minuscule...I gotta get a handle on things for sure! We've been gardening on this plot for a few years but things always keep popping up, witness the latest find near the duck pen, a 1984 cordoba, a coin that worked it's way to the surface this week.

Woke today to whining from one of my Catahoula babies. One of my third generation pups was all stove up, his back legs were stiff and spasming; I just knew something nasty had bit him. Went to the herbal concoction table in our kitchen and drew up a small dose of SLIM (for the guapinol) and some calaguala tincture to handle the poison in his system. Within 30 minutes, my pup was up to no good, had slipped outa' the fence and was in the neighbor's mango field, munching away and threatening anyone who came too near "his" mangos.

Dosed him again with a slightly smaller amount before we headed to Managua for some to-do things. A government office was my destination, one I had visited the previous week, and I was hopeful that this trip would not take as long....wishful thinking on my part, it seemed. The building was air conditioned, the workers all friendly, so I really can't complain, government efficiency is the same everywhere you go.

Got my stuff just before noon and, by that time, beers were seriously necessary. Regardless of my nice talk, I DO NOT handle waiting well, my temper flares...BUT, I was definitely out shined by the poor fella who was on his 3rd trip there with all his papers to no avail. There was a moment there when I thought they might have to call in Security. Then I realized that there was no security, and I settled in for the show! The locals were all abuzz, all the workers came out from their cubbies to watch the man rant; it was interesting to eavesdrop on their conversations, seeing how much Spanish I could pick up. From my understanding...the fella is screwed!

We left this adventure to try our hand at one in the Oriental Market. A quick park at the gas station, pay the fella, then walk into chaos once again...why do I keep doing this to myself? Must like it, I guess. A road from the church leads out into the highway, traffic comes from 3 directions, there are no rules except "don't get hit!". I skirted between cars, taxis, and towering buses that didn't seem inclined to even slow down for my passage. A hard fist slam on a hood, plus a wink and a shake, works wonders to get you through the traffic.

There's a little store that sells chemical products that we visit from time to time. Today, we needed 3 things. The owner told me "ninguna" when I told her what I needed. That means, "I ain't got any of that." So we went back and forth and I settled on a few items that would work for my experiments.

That was definitely enough hot time and frustration in the big city for these country folk, time to find a good grill place and some cold beers! Been wanting to stop at Don Panchos for months, every time we pass we look, but we're always too busy.

The waiter met us at the entrance and said no beef today, but we love pork so no problema. Took a seat in the back area for better breezes; "mas fresco", he said. The decor was rustico, the service impeccable, and the beers super cold.

Pork loin was our order, gallo pinto for my fella and ensalada para mi, and while it wasn't the prettiest presentation I've seen, the quality of pork was the best I've had in country!

Not much to do on comin' home, 'cept avoid cops wanting bribes, drunks stumbling into the road and the occasional taxi or bus that tries to run one off the road, and that worked out well. Checked on my pup, Cephus; he was frisky but sore, so I gave him a few ccs of Ease Back, a medicine we make for pain. Feels like another successful day in this crazy place we call home, time for more Toña and the shade of the mango tree!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: Another Full Day...

Great read and pics!

Hope things calm down before football season takes full form so you can enjoy your Tona and football on the weekends...

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes it is a great read and pictorial... Thanks Mill and Roger.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Great post, Thanks!

There's never a dull moment, I Love It
    Dios es Amor!

Where is Don Panchos located?

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    I second that!!!!

Hope things calm down before football season takes full form so you can enjoy your Tona and football on the weekends...
    Unfortunately, it probably won't, BUT I'm hard core football so I simply stop all my other activities and watch my game! My gardens go to h*ll, my friends get ignored, Toña sales increase exponentially...you get the picture!

From the rotunda at Km 14.5 Carretera Masaya, head west-ish towards Ticuantepe. Not sure exactly how far to go, but it's a ways, about 3 to 5 km. You do pass the big entertainment complex on the left hand side, then the Russian restaurant on the right. Asados Don Pancho is located on the left hand side of the road, just around a curve. It's very rustic from the roadside view, lots of palms and woodwork. I might have a receipt around here somewhere...hope that's helpful enough.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Unfortunately, it probably won't, BUT I'm hard core football so I simply stop all my other activities and watch my game! My gardens go to h*ll, my friends get ignored, Toña sales increase exponentially...you get the picture!

We’re going to watch the KC/St.Louis Game this Friday at one of the local bars... Go Chiefs!!
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

great post mel!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

. . . . then the Russian restaurant on the right. . .
    I hope eventually you can give us a report on the Russian restaurant too. There was a Russian restaurant in Harbin, China that was excellent where I grew to love Russian food. Russian food and restaurants are underrated in the West (IMHO) because of the cold war and reputation for surly waiters, poorly prepared food, etc. No guarantee, of course, that this particular restaurnat will be good, but I'm sure all of us would be glad to let you two be guinea pigs and sample the food and let us know how it is!
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

I've only been there once, but was very impressed. The food was wonderful comfort food, the bread a hearty, rich, black bread, and the music sounded like it was from a Russian ballet.

Blog Entries

I've only been there once, but was very impressed. The food was wonderful comfort food, the bread a hearty, rich, black bread, and the music sounded like it was from a Russian ballet.

This is a serious question....what is Russian food known for? I mean is it good beef? Pork? Soup? Bread?

I really have no idea or preconceptions.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Cabbage.

I'm familiar with the cuisine because my mother's folks are all Polish, (Poland used to be a part of the Soviet Union) and my nana took the time to teach me some of the specialties she knew. The country has a harsh climate for much of the year, and hearty food, full of starches and high in protein, is a must for the people to work and survive.

Lots of potatoes, cabbage, pasta and meat to be found in the Russian cuisine. My favs being the pelmenis, kotletys, cabbage rolls, and herring.

Blog Entries

Um, if only I liked going to Managua better.

You've told us about the Oriental Market. Is there anywhere in Managua that has Indian (sub-continental) food or groceries?

Lo siento, I never eat Indian food, can't stand cumin and curry. Bobby in Granada might know some places to buy things...quizás?

Post Re: Another Full Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    This is a serious question....what is Russian food known for? I mean is it good beef? Pork? Soup? Bread?
    I really have no idea or preconceptions.
    Vodka! (Just kidding!) Just reading the Wikipedia entry makes me hungry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cuisine

It doesn't say enough about the salads which I also liked very much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_Stroganoff

Many Russians are not familiar with Beef Stroganoff. It was definitely not "peasant" cuisine; I think it was more of an "upper or middle class" cuisine that became popular in the West through Russian emigres after the Russian Revolution (particularly through the Russian emigres in France). The Wikipedia entry about beef Stroganoff in China is new to me, although in the 1920s Harbin had the largest Russian population of any city outside of Russia.

Post Re: Another Full Day...

What was the name of the restaurant? Easy to spot? Just look for all the Ladas parked out front?

"Comfort food!" Yes, that's an excellent way of describing Russian and Polish cuisine.

Krakus Polish ham is the best ham I have ever eaten!
    http://wantham.com/krakusham.htm

The restaurant is Matroishka, which is what those nesting dolls are called. The sign out front has a big red sign with the dolls pictured. They were only open from Thurs to Sun when I last visited, not sure if they've expanded their hours or not yet.

I think I did a post about them...can't exactly remember what category it's in...

Cool Re: Another Full Day...

The restaurant is Matroishka, which is what those nesting dolls are called. The sign out front has a big red sign with the dolls pictured. They were only open from Thurs to Sun when I last visited, not sure if they've expanded their hours or not yet.

I think I did a post about them...can't exactly remember what category it's in...
    Thanks! The name does somehow sound familiar, but a search only turns up this post. I'll search some more later. I've got a new Lonely Planet guide coming; maybe it will also be listed there. Hope they stay in business; there should be enough Russian embassy personnel and nostalgic Sandinistas to support the restaurant!