Thread: New Hotel in Jinotega, Miami Art Deco house conversion

Blog Entries

Default New Hotel in Jinotega, Miami Art Deco house conversion

Jinotega is getting a new luxury hotel (conversion of this Miami Art Deco house) -- four rooms with two to four beds, balconies, amazing patios, parking inside the gate for some, restaurant and bar. Suzanne Wopperer and I got the tour from one of the workmen. One room downstairs; others upstairs with amazing views. The building has a real fireplace in the upstairs common sitting areas (Decembers here at 3,000 feet can be chilly). I suspect it will be in the $100 to $150 a night range or possibly higher depending on how well they manage the restaurant. Some of the rooms have balconies. All new tile on the floors, redone everything, it looked like. All the rooms had private baths; at least one room had a closet. The rooms are large to huge.

I'll post again when the thing is open and I can find out what the rates are.

Turns out the place hadn't sold -- the owners decided to turn it into a hotel after failing to either rent it or sell it as it was. If I could have afforded the place, I think that would also have been what I would have done with it.

A really first rate restaurant and bar in town would be excellent.

It's drop dead gorgeous and puts the Hotel Cafe to shame.

Another guy is opening an Italian restaurant across from Dino's Pizza, which the family also owns. They'll be selling pizzas, gellato, and pastas, among other things, and will open in November.

And the Art Center is starting to hold more events.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carretera Masaya km 10.5, approx 2 k al Sur
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Hotel in Jinotega, Miami Art Deco house conversion

Exciting news indeed! It will be interesting to see what sort of a market there is for this type of property. Recent comments from business people I have met here in Managua say that there is a real challenge with getting beyond the "mochileros"-level demographic group of visitors to Nicaragua. That combined with the election next month indicate a mini-flood of entrepreneurs leaving the country...hopefully only for a little while and come back soon!
    Doors of hope fly open when doors of promise shut. -Thomas D'Arcy McGee

Blog Entries

We seem to get some Managua people coming up to beat the heat (if it gets too cool, the upstairs sitting room has a fireplace). With only four room, the bar and restaurant may be their main money makers, and Jinotega doesn't have a good, reliable, in-town upscale restaurant, so I'd like to see what they can do there (we have some good middle level restaurants). The bar is already stocked with imported vodka and scotch.

I have some kin I'd put up at my house; I have other kin I'd send to this place or Granada.

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Question Re: New Hotel in Jinotega, Miami Art Deco house conversion

I believe that Hotel Bosawas was for sale two years ago; did it change hands?
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dixietraveller View Post
    I believe that Hotel Bosawas was for sale two years ago; did it change hands?
    I haven't heard that it did. It's been spruced up a bit in the last year. It's another hotel near where I live (the Hotel Central, Hotel Rosa?, Hotel Primavera, Hotel Bosawas, the Sollentuna Hem, and Hotel Zog are all between here and the park and the river and the creek).

Rates at the new hotel will be $85 a night if you're listening to the people who own the Sollentuna Hem, less than that is possible.

I think one hotel here actually does most of the business with gringos with more money than sense; the Sollentuna Hem and the Kiarus (spelling?) cover the $25 a night range quite well, and then there are other hotels that are a bit cheaper with mostly Nicaraguan clients.

I'd be curious to know if the local hotels had something like 50 to 75% average occupancy rates. I don't get the impression that they do.