Thread: Seed availability

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Default Seed availability

After a year back in the states saving money and paying off our house in Tola my wife and I are moving back down to Nicaragua next month. We are coming from Hawaii and there are a lot of great tropical choices here. I am wondering if I should try and bring some harder to find seeds down with me. Macadamia, peanuts, acai, and sunrise papaya are on my short list. Has anyone seen availability for these?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Re: Seed availability

None of those, hon, lo siento. My advice is to bring as many seeds as you can and plan on having special ways of preserving them. This climate is not friendly to folks who hope to "save seed"! Pad all seed packs, a cheap paperback works real well. Choose strains that will tolerate the climate. Plan on bagging unused seeds and storing them in the fridge.

I'm in experimental mode (h*ll, been there for 8 years!!!); I'm determined to find an old-style seed that will tolerate these dang bugs and mold. I've put in Country Gentlemen sweet corn this year in the hopes of gaining seed that I can cross myself, quizás sí, quizás no.

Seed availability is pretty crappy in country, but there is no shortage of folks who are generous in helping you...just establish first that you're someone who is worth helping, will be grateful for the donation, will post on your successes and failures, will help with the overall information available on this site...and you'll be set!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Have any contacts upcountry on Maui? I could sure use some protea seeds from around Kula!
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

No connections but I may be on Maui the first week of November before I leave.

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Is quinoa available in most cities?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melian View Post
    Is quinoa available in most cities?
    Even lentils aren't available in most cities. I don't think I've seen anyone mention a source for quinoa in either forum, though others have asked.

I'm under the impression that quinoa is a high altitude cool climate crop (they're grown in Colorado and Oregon if I'm remembering what I've heard correctly). The millets would be the hotter climate substitutes -- and at least one form of sorghum is available locally (used for popping and making sweet treats interestingly enough). Corn, beans, and potatoes are productive and easy to harvest with simple tools, so pretty much those are the staples along with rice. Everyone seems to have a few banana trees, even in town (I've got one clump in the back yard I share with a neighbor in town and I see them all over city back gardens). They crop several times a year under good conditions. You can get varieties here that you can't get in the US.

My impression is that there are vanishingly few high end vegetarians here outside the expat communities. It's easier to get filet mignon than tofu here (never have seen tofu for sale in Jinotega and apparently there aren't any sources in Esteli either, though I would rather suspect that tofu could be found in Managua, and soy beans are generally available (even if lentils aren't), and there is a lot of soy fake meat and milks around.

Cowpeas should do well here; some of the millets should do well here; and some of the more exotic bean species should do well here. And ducks should lay all year round here -- Carol Deppe, in The Resiliant Gardner, recommends Anconas as good dual purpose ducks though Muscovies are more common here, and importing live ducks might be interesting.

I suspect that some exploration in areas that still have subsistence farming with mixed crops would turn up some interesting locally adapted strains of vegetables that would work quite well.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Butter Beans (Baby Green Limaas) the running kind are prolific and the vines last for years.

I got a bushel in the shell about every 2 or 3 days off 130 running feet of vines, but the bugs that are the stinky kind were a hassel to control.

I had to give my friends some just to keep the vines picked clean, the 6 of us in the house couldn't keep up the pace of the filled out ones to put in the freezer, seem's my 'ole farmer grandmother was right, when ya don't pick em frequently the production slacks off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

John, are those from those bags of beans I brought to you?

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Do you eat the shell on those?

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    Even lentils aren't available in most cities. . . .
    I think you mentioned that earlier. Did you ever find any lentils in Jinotega?

It may be that my memory is playing tricks on me, but I think I saw Goya dried lentils at El Conejo. Or maybe they did and no longer have, or maybe it was at another pulperia. I remember making a mental note at the time since I like lentil soup. Now this was unfortunately roughly two years ago, so who knows what the availability today is. Goya also has dried blackeyed peas and I could never find those in Jinotega!
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Lentels as well and always found them in the La Colonial in Ciudad Jarden right across from the Bomba Shell (Shell Gas Station) and yes they are the GOYA brand, had them and Black Beans and other things any time I went in there.

DSB, I believe they were seeds you brought down if I remember right.

I think ya can eat the whole thing seed's pod and all, but you need to cut off the sharp point to them on the end of it first.

My 'ole Farmer Grandmother would never give the hulls to the pigs to eat she said the sharp points would punch holes in their guts and kill 'em. but I see no reason with the points removed they wouldn't be fit to eat...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...