Thread: AA adds third flight MIA / MGA

Blog Entries
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AA adds third flight MIA / MGA

I took this flight from MIA to MGA on Nov. 21. The plane was almost empty. We all had our own row to stretch out. It was great to fly to MGA during the day. The scenery over Cuba was awesome...green coral reefs shimmered in the sunlight.
    The only problem was that my check-in didn't make it on my flight...AGAIN! However, it came in on the 7:00pm flight. AA called me at 8:00pm and said they were on their way to Granada to deliver my luggage.
    I used to fly Spirit, but no more. First, Spirit has hidden costs for everything. You have to pay for your seat, pay for your carry-on, pay for your check-in luggage. Second, their weight limit per bag is 40 lbs...ten pounds less than AA. Finally, Spirit leaves and arrives at MGA at ungodly hours. By the time you add up all the hidden costs, the reduced weight limit, the inconvenient hours for arrival and departure, it isn't worth it.
    AA is my airline of choice, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytoes View Post
    First, Spirit has hidden costs for everything. You have to pay for your seat, pay for your carry-on, pay for your check-in luggage. Second, their weight limit per bag is 40 lbs...ten pounds less than AA. Finally, Spirit leaves and arrives at MGA at ungodly hours. By the time you add up all the hidden costs, the reduced weight limit, the inconvenient hours for arrival and departure, it isn't worth it.
    AA is my airline of choice, now.
    Amen to that!...Spirit was great back in 2008-2009 when I flew for less than $150.00 r/t.
    I have never been a fan of AA because the planes they use to go to Nicaragua are ancient and tattered. I despise their outrageous prices during christmas time and easter that gouge us nicas knowing that is when we tend to travel more. I remember that a couple of years ago, it was cheaper to go to europe than managua!

Spirit has become a hassle....what did me in, was the reduction in checked baggages size....alas this passenger remembers the old days of LaNica back in the 70's.... 3 huge 70 lbs suitcases!.

then again when inflation is factored in, that 200 dollar ticket back in the 70's would be equivalent to $1000.00 today!!..

Spirit also had flights that arrived in the afternoon/early evening.... The late flights dont bother me, as my welcome party packs heat at that hour.....

Blog Entries

Just took the 1:00 pm AA flight MIA?MGA. I have to agee about the awesome scenery overflying Cuba.

BTW ...I quizzed AA about checking "luggage" in the form of a cardboard box ....."NO WAY" from November 15 to January 15 (approx). I think they called it a "cardboard embargo". I guess they were tired of checking televisions and microwave ovens for Christmas presents.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Just took the 1:00 pm AA flight MIA?MGA. I have to agee about the awesome scenery overflying Cuba.

BTW ...I quizzed AA about checking "luggage" in the form of a cardboard box ....."NO WAY" from November 15 to January 15 (approx). I think they called it a "cardboard embargo". I guess they were tired of checking televisions and microwave ovens for Christmas presents.
    They have been doing the "Holiday" embargo for many years, usually just Central America, Haiti, and Dominican Republic. I got a little hung up one year hauling a box in November, luckily I had a pile of miles.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

WOnder how much it will cost for last week of dec?
    my little girl

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    WOnder how much it will cost for last week of dec?
    Vern, I would check with "Travelocity" or one of those on line those on line things that do that...

Anyone else know of a info site to suggest?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Hey Vern -

#1) You just want a quick check AND do NOT have flexible travel - Orbitz - Travelocity - Expedia.

#2) You have some flexibility AND you DO have flexible travel dates ... Priceline & Tripadvisor

I found this year #2 was a good 40% less than #1... Times 5 people it was the difference between GO and NO GO ...

P.S. there is Spirit but recent price trends show them to be no different in costs .. IIRC travel in the christmas week was $319 each way plus baggage fees.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 11-28-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Thanks. I will chech them out. I would really like to take the family back the last week of the year. Wife has not been back for new years in six years. It has always been to expensive.

Problem I am having waiting on my union to tell me in I will win this week or not. I hope to find out next week.
    my little girl

Blog Entries

So who's buying stock in American now that it's under .30 a share? They'll come through bankruptcy fine, I'm sure.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

I Like kayak.com as it searches the big travel websites at once!!