Thread: Bad hair day

Default Bad hair day

Around three years ago, I came down to Nicaragua after having let my hair grown out shoulder length. I let my beard come in as well. I did this intentionally to see if Nicaraguas would assume I were European, and therefor treat me differently. I noticed the biggest differences differences before I left home. People would cross the street when they'd see me coming so they didn't have to walk right by me. People wouldn't make eye contact with me. And my favorite, as I was walking toward a Walmart (still in the parking lot) I was behind a woman who was carrying a small child over her shoulder. The child looked at me, pointed, and exclaimed excitedly to his mother, "Jesus!" The woman turned her head, saw me, and then sped up and gripped her child protectively.

I let my hair grow out again this time (although not quite as long, and with a little style), and I had my beard formed up into a condado. I noticed on my first day down her (5 days ago), that my hair frizzed out and blew in all directions. I looked a bit like Kramer from Seignfeld. I tried to use water to matt it down and to style it, but a combination of heat and wind made this useless. Similarly, styling products didn't help unless I put enough it to turn my hair into a helmet.

I also noticed an alarming trend: Nicaragua women in Managua woudn't make eye contact or flirt with me as I walked by or in public places, like the UCA, Metrocentro, or La Union. I don't need much positive reinforcement; my ego is fairly self sufficient. However, a guy likes to know he looks good every now and again...

So Saturday, I swung by Matrocentro on a mission. I found one of those overpriced stylish salons in the mall, walked in, and asked for a haircut and shave. They quoted me around $9 for each ($18 total). I've had a haircut for C$30 before, so my initial reaction was, "Hell no!" However, my ego needed a boost, and after scrimping and walking for a week, I felt like I could use a little pampering, so I agreed.

I was surprised when the woman runnig the place assigned a young man to men (one of the few people in there who wasn't female). The last time I had a haircut by a man was around 8 years ago, also in Managua, by an experienced man who looked to be in his 60s. It was a bit odd getting my hair cut, styled, and face shaved by a dude in his early 20s. I rolled with it, and he ended up doing a great job. A $18 cut/style/shave might be a lot for Nicaragua, but I've never been so well attended, or even looked so stylish after. The guy didn't leave a single errant hair. I've paid $18 for a cut in the States, but never one like this.

The mood in the place was respectful and the service was first class. I was made to feel like one of the social elite, like I should take my monacle off and say "Mueh, looks good my boy. Mueh." I was offered something to drink in the middle by a woman who worked there (coffee/tea/etc) and then another woman washed my hair after, before I was taken back to the guy for a final styling.

My favorite part of this experience (as good as many parts of it were) was after I walked out, back into Metrocentro. I got looks. I got some eye flirting. One woman in La Union (a bit later) couldn't take her eyes off me. Ahhh. My ego had itself a good feast, and now I'm ready to sink back into my life as a reclusive writer.
    Soy el chele mono.

Default Re: Bad hair day

Salon Ebano, Central Commercial Managua, 2270-5325.

ONLY accept Anielka (Ani) -- she's the owner and the BEST hair stylist in America Central. (really easy on the eyes too)

Cost: US$5
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

Blog Entries

I started cutting my own hair in 2006. One of the guys I worked with made fun of me for going to a salon and paying a Guetamalean girl $15 for a crew cut instead of going to a barber. I just got some electric clippers and started cutting it myself with a 1/4 inch guard. My girl friend has been cutting my hair lately with the same cutters, but she throws her own spin on the crew cut. I just cannot stand hair touching my ears anymore.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Personal appearance is very important here, no doubt about that. I often go weeks, sometimes months without shaving (last year I shaved 8 times), dress like a vagrant most of the time, at home I am usually barefoot and wearing shorts, sometimes I dress up and put on sunglasses.

My neighbors are horrified when I have to go down the road, "you can't go out looking like that". Worse if there is a funeral or some reason I have to go to the Church. I am their White Man and it reflects poorly on them. I can clean up and look somewhat respectable (long as you don't stand too close). Before most any event I attend an advance team is sent in to help me get presentable.

Almost shaved yesterday, would have made 2 times in a month, anyway August is nearly here so I will wait till Friday to clean-up I have to go to a birthday party then.

Anyway, the moral if there is one to this story, be well groomed and nicely dressed and you will see how much attention you receive, especially from the opposite sex, dress, look, and smell like a vagrant and see how that works.

A young man in MGA with good Spanish, lots of free time, and a little $$, boy, I envy you.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Long hair and a beard, they wonder who stole your backpack and when you bathed last. I don't think "European" comes to mind, just, "freaky."

In Esteli, I got a good haircut from Kiko, a young dude just east of the Cathedral. His shop has futbol on the TV, Maxim magazines everywhere, just in case having a guy cut your hair made you feel unmanly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I started cutting my own hair in 2006. One of the guys I worked with made fun of me for going to a salon and paying a Guetamalean girl $15 for a crew cut instead of going to a barber. I just got some electric clippers and started cutting it myself with a 1/4 inch guard. My girl friend has been cutting my hair lately with the same cutters, but she throws her own spin on the crew cut. I just cannot stand hair touching my ears anymore.
    Wait a minute - is the Guatemalan girl ugly or something? I don't understand your decision making process here.

Quote Originally Posted by off2paradise View Post
    Salon Ebano, Central Commercial Managua, 2270-5325.

ONLY accept Anielka (Ani) -- she's the owner and the BEST hair stylist in America Central. (really easy on the eyes too)

Cost: US$5
    in which "Cento Commercial" can I find Ebano? Metrocentro? Las Gallarias? Plaza Inter? The one in Bello Amanecer?

Sounds good. If I can find it, and get to it reasonably, I'll check it out.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

This is the problem, even when you get close it can be hard to find.

Go to the area, ask one man in the shop, then get one kid to take you to the place.

I know, difficult to decipher, you just had to be there.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Centro Commercial is it's own shopping center, just north of the Gallerias mall. It has multiple entrances; if you head north on Carr Masaya, you'll take a right at the rotunda with an underpass, go down 2 lights (I believe) and make a right at the sign for the single story mall complex. It's a big place with lots of good shopping.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Centro Commercial is it's own shopping center, just north of the Gallerias mall. It has multiple entrances; if you head north on Carr Masaya, you'll take a right at the rotunda with an underpass, go down 2 lights (I believe) and make a right at the sign for the single story mall complex. It's a big place with lots of good shopping.
    That's the place!

On the NW corner of CCM there are several banks. Ebano is that west "wing" of the sprawling place, about halfway down (south). Look for Farmacia Managua, another great spot to buy whatever you might need for what ails you. The owner is Alberto Lacayo , speaks great English, and is the President of the Pharmacy Association in Nicaragua as well as the Vice-Chair of the (opposition) BDN party. I try to steer my hard earned $$$ as far away from Whoretega's mob as possible!
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    my first year here i sported the same haircut i have had for the last 35 years, a long ponytail. had a goatee to boot. i noticed also that women would not make eye contact and avoided me(not that i was looking). i also have a 1/2" crew now and notice i am treated so much differently. also clean shaven. can't start my day now without shaving. love that i don't own a brush anymore. just shake myself off out of the shower and good to go. haircut here is 30 cords. however, that is 30 cords more than i have spent in 35 years. can't imagine ever wearing long hair again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Wait a minute - is the Guatemalan girl ugly or something? I don't understand your decision making process here.
    She was actually sort of nice looking, big brown eyes, a huge cleavage she was very proud of and very friendly to the point of flirtatious... About half my age. I had a lot of fun there and would tip her well. I was making a ton of money at the time. I just thought I would save a little trouble and do it myself. It is pretty easy to just go around your own noggin with an electric clipper. Never seemed to get in the way of me attracting women. I think they want us clean cut. Women dont want a man that is shorter or thinner than they are, and they don't want you having nicer hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bc_hombre View Post
    my first year here i sported the same haircut i have had for the last 35 years, a long ponytail. had a goatee to boot. i noticed also that women would not make eye contact and avoided me(not that i was looking). i also have a 1/2" crew now and notice i am treated so much differently. also clean shaven. can't start my day now without shaving. love that i don't own a brush anymore. just shake myself off out of the shower and good to go. haircut here is 30 cords. however, that is 30 cords more than i have spent in 35 years. can't imagine ever wearing long hair again.
    I have been told that for some reason women are more concerned with a man's body than how pretty he is. Imagine that... they look at the body first.

I think they want us clean cut. Women dont want a man that is shorter or thinner than they are, and they don't want you having nicer hair.

And I know how you feel about hair. No muss no fuss. Out the door in 5 minutes and still looked cleaned and groomed.
    Survivor