Thread: 3 days on Big Corn..Great

Default 3 days on Big Corn..Great

What a special place...After months existing in Managua and driving between Leon...I hoped on the flight to Big Corn...Great flight on the 42 passenger plane...

A great rest..and some surprises :

A. Significant road work along the shore on Briggs Bay and around Jack Jilly point.
    B. visited Cookshow and his finca..Kevin must have a lot of "juice" as they have paved the road almost to his driveway. His pup Max, is improving , pig growing, and yes, the chicken coop exists...
    C. Runway extension project is moving forward
    D. Very quiet as it is September, low season..Some rain, but mainly in the early AM..

Tough days of reading, staring aimlessly at the waves...perfect.

We sourced hogfish and lobster for dinner and had Mama Lola cook for us...good as it gets.

PP

Default Re: 3 days on Big Corn..Great

<--- Envious

Will be a couple more months for me.

pictures to follow?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Playa Pete View Post
    What a special place...After months existing in Managua and driving between Leon...I hoped on the flight to Big Corn...Great flight on the 42 passenger plane...

A great rest..and some surprises :

A. Significant road work along the shore on Briggs Bay and around Jack Jilly point.
    B. visited Cookshow and his finca..Kevin must have a lot of "juice" as they have paved the road almost to his driveway. His pup Max, is improving , pig growing, and yes, the chicken coop exists...
    C. Runway extension project is moving forward
    D. Very quiet as it is September, low season..Some rain, but mainly in the early AM..

Tough days of reading, staring aimlessly at the waves...perfect.

We sourced hogfish and lobster for dinner and had Mama Lola cook for us...good as it gets.

PP

Where did you stay?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Playa Pete View Post
    B. visited Cookshow and his finca..Kevin must have a lot of "juice" as they have paved the road almost to his driveway.

PP
    The road to nowhere.

5 years ago I could have never imagined such a road, it was a goat trail, getting building materials delivered was nearly impossible, especially if there had been any rain. Few years ago when I heard about the project I laughed, no way I thought, then they came and built some, came back a few months later and built some more, and supposed to be coming back to build even more.

I expect the Mayor to get at least 105% of the votes in November's elections, if for no other reason than people want to see what he will pave next. He will forever be remembered as a road builder. The road projects have been a benefit in many ways, the projects have provided jobs during a time when work has been hard to find, many of my neighbors and friends have picked up some work on the crews from time to time. The people in areas like mine are thrilled, I can get a cab to bring me all the way to my front door, something that was nearly impossible just a year or 2 ago. Fewer children have to wade through mud to get to school. The past few months even the ice cream man was wandered up this way once a week or so.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You wanted to live on a Tropical Island, in the middle of Nowhere.

You wind up reviving the old way of doing things, plants, trees, animals, etc.

And now they have built a paved path to your door....

Guess you shouldn't have built that better mousetrap Huh?

I like your apraisel of it though....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

You got that right. when I moved up here it seemed like the far end of the World, now I got a super highway within a stones throw.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The road to nowhere.

5 years ago I could have never imagined such a road, it was a goat trail, getting building materials delivered was nearly impossible, especially if there had been any rain. Few years ago when I heard about the project I laughed, no way I thought, then they came and built some, came back a few months later and built some more, and supposed to be coming back to build even more.

I expect the Mayor to get at least 105% of the votes in November's elections, if for no other reason than people want to see what he will pave next. He will forever be remembered as a road builder. The road projects have been a benefit in many ways, the projects have provided jobs during a time when work has been hard to find, many of my neighbors and friends have picked up some work on the crews from time to time. The people in areas like mine are thrilled, I can get a cab to bring me all the way to my front door, something that was nearly impossible just a year or 2 ago. Fewer children have to wade through mud to get to school. The past few months even the ice cream man was wandered up this way once a week or so.
    Thats one of my top 5 loves of Nica-----The Ice cream man is everywhere!!!!!

Blog Entries

The road to nowhere.

Did anyone lobby ar ask for the road towards your place?

Blog Entries

I think everyone wanted the road and it came up in meetings before the election. The road expansion has taken place on Little Island as well, lots of money has been spent on improvements on both Islands.

Last week the Mayor held a Barrio meeting and citizens were able to voice concerns, seems the biggest concern right now is healthcare and the state of the Hospital.

Right now A gymnasium is being constructed, road work continues, work on the shorelines, lots of stuff going on, new school built, airport expansion, yesterday I saw work being done on the basketball court, really is a blessing for the economy.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I think everyone wanted the road and it came up in meetings before the election. The road expansion has taken place on Little Island as well, lots of money has been spent on improvements on both Islands.

Last week the Mayor held a Barrio meeting and citizens were able to voice concerns, seems the biggest concern right now is healthcare and the state of the Hospital.

Right now A gymnasium is being constructed, road work continues, work on the shorelines, lots of stuff going on, new school built, airport expansion, yesterday I saw work being done on the basketball court, really is a blessing for the economy.
    Sometimes, I think the only politics you can trust are the county level in the US -- you can actually talk to the guys and listen to them, and know far better what's going on than with even state level politics. Doesn't matter what party -- yer local politician has to live with his neighbors.

Blog Entries

Much as it hurts me to ask this, but are the Sandinistas doing a good job? At least on the islands?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Much as it hurts me to ask this, but are the Sandinistas doing a good job? At least on the islands?
    After the elections in November they are only expecting very few municipalities to not be under a Sandinista Mayor. I don't think I would want to be live in one of those communities.

Lots of money is being spent so I guess you would say that good is being done. Many of the current projects are improvements that will be here long-term, roads, buildings, etc not just studies and handouts that are quickly forgotten.

I have not even heard anyone opposing the current mayor here, I assume the other parties will have someone on the ballot but they don't stand a chance, if the Mayor can continue the momentum for another term he will make some long lasting improvements for the good of the people here.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...... You don't what you git till It's gone
    Survivor

Blog Entries

I've dealt with county commissioners who are just as power mad and egotistical, not to mention as morally corrupt and self serving as any anywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I've dealt with county commissioners who are just as power mad and egotistical, not to mention as morally corrupt and self serving as any anywhere.
    Power always corrupts but at least in the states solicitation of a bribe is career ending and prison bound.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Power always corrupts but at least in the states solicitation of a bribe is career ending and prison bound.
    Not if you do an indepth study of it and apply it correctly like an American Politician....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...