Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renewing my tourist visa

Blog Entries

Default Re: Renewing my tourist visa

Sounds to me like an attempt to negate anything Trump says or does.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    The FDA moves carefully, in politically-correct 1st gear, since lives are at stake.

Front page news, today's NYTimes,
    "First Confirmed Case of Virus Reinfection Found - Researchers said a “young and healthy” patient had a second case more than four months after the first, suggesting immunity might last only a few months."

And so . . . convalescent plasma will have a short shelf-life.

"The FDA moves carefully, in politically-correct 1st gear, since lives are at stake."

More,, an election at stake if this saves lives. CP has been shown to be safe, for over 100 years now.

>>>"Right To Choose" means just that, if you drink the blue Kool-Aid by all means turn down the CP.
    Fill out your ballot and take one for the Biden Harris team. Avoid watching your home burn down.

Maybe, an anecdotal re-infection. If it's true, one in 20 million reinfected ? Even if it's 100. Or, 1000 ?

The CP, if given early enough shifts the immune system to high gear, should reduce the viral load Which the studies show it does),, and the extent of the infection (which is what has been shown to happen), and reduce the time sick (ditto).

If the blood donation is a plasma harvest (which takes longer), you can get 3 - 4 doses from one donation. If it's a red blood donation (which the Red Cross will be pushing),, you only get two 200 ml doses.

Subsequent plasma harvests (as shown when they were using CP to treat Ebola patients) yields less and less of the desired antibody present in the plasma.

That "excessive harvest" became a problem with the Ebola CP,, that plus a measure of corruption: Some plasma donated did not come from Ebola recoverees, but rather from people who wanted the extra money for their plasma:

"Hey Mon, I'll split the money from the plasma with you if you mark my antibody test positive" .

Blog Entries

The little woman said stay for Easter, so I renewed my visa in Managua migracion for 900 cords, as usual. But matters back in the States required my attention, so . . .

With A/C TicaBus is a comfortable ride to San Jose, CR. Cost: $29 + petty aggravation. Got my CR health pass (QR code) printed before I left; that’s the way all officials like it. Crossing the border at Penas Blancas, from 10:45 to 1:20pm, with most of the delay on the Nica side. We left Managua an hour late, at 7:00am, and they dropped me at the SJO airport at 6:30pm. Hotel la Guaria ($30, reserved) in Alajuela paid for my taxi. Hot shower, A/C on and I unplugged into zzz-land. Up & out at 7am to Laboratorio Cartin in the same block as the hotel, catty-corner, to get a nasal poke covid test. No call, just walked-in, no wait. Results emailed to me 8:30, SARS-CoV-2 antigen detection: negative. Cost $50, on my visa card. I walked back to get two signed copies on letterhead stationary. I fly out tonight, well, 12:56am tomorrow, Spirit time. Cost to Philly: $157+$78 for ‘checked bag bundle’. Less than half the cost of Avianca just to dump me in MIA, not counting that the only covid test in Nicaragua costs $150, takes 24hrs and is offered at only one location.

That’s what went well. Here’s the grief. Worried by fake-news on TRN, tho my paid ticket was confirmed twice, I opted to stay at Hotel TicaBus in Managua just to see all was OK and to be up & ready at 5am. However, all ‘executive’ rooms (private bath + A/C, for $20) were booked. So I took an ‘economy’ room for $10. MISTAKE. Suffocatingly hot, plagued by mosquitoes & sayules, pathetic ceiling fans that didn’t push air and seemed about to fall, so all kept doors open while babies cried and screamed all night long. 50+ yds away was a men's bathroom, flooded. Two each of the 4@ toilets, urinals, showers & sinks worked, but looked like hell. (The others were covered Nica-style with masking tape and black plastic.) The refugees crossing our open southern border “illegally” (or is it by invitation?) have better accommodations. The babies stopped screaming around 3:30 - the bus to Honduras/Guatemala was packed full.

I sweat so much during the night I was dehydrated and TicaBus has no vending machine, no water fountains, and I wasn’t about to trust the open cesspool they called a bathroom, so I left looking. A pulperia sold me a liter plus some soda for breakfast - I was happy to pay the slightly jacked-up prices. AsI said the bus left an hour late, seemingly half empty, because it took them so blooming long to review each & every passenger's paperwork. The bus stopped in Masaya and took on a number of people who all had reserved, numbered seats. We sat in Granada a full hour, only taking in a couple. (Waiting for a Chamorro?) A vender came on board - I got a chicken empanizada and an ice tea, so not all was a loss. I did lose the free seat next to me in Nandaime to a chubby, old broad. We also stopped in Rivas which is where the last filled the bus. At the border I took a pee in a new (no running water yet, 3 barrels full for the business) facility for 10 cords. I couldn’t get colones cause the TR bank at the border was closed and the ATM didn’t work altho two seedy characters wanted me to try it. The only stop in CR, 2+ hrs into woods, was a pretty good restaurant, cafeteria-style, with a good spread at good prices. And thankfully they took a credit card.

Life here is an adventure. Routine dulls the senses.

Blog Entries

Man, a long trip, but looks like any route you choose is long now days. Alajuela is always a nice break.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Results matter,,, The rest is just details

Ten cords for a pee, what's the world coming to ?
    Some Sandi must have the concession; the brother of the guy who has the Covid test monopoly.
    He's going to make his money on the volume.

I think I know of the restaurant you visited. Big open room, long buffet.
    They turn the lines fast.

With all that can go wrong, it's amazing that more doesn't.
    The Ticas have always had their shit together,, they just want your money, which is understandable and manageable.

The Nicas ???
    Who knows what they want.
    But they sure take their (your) sweet time trying to figure it out.

A couple of my friends in Estelí are getting vaccinated,, in their 30's, he's a dentist.
    One Ex-pat is supposedly getting it,, older. Tomorrow or the next day.
    NOT the Sputnik vaccine, Astra Zeneca, or at least that is what Minsa is telling them.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stayed at ticabus hotel one night years ago, brand new and shiny at the time with the ambiance of something between the downtown L.A. YMCA and a news clip of solitary confinement of a California State prison I saw on the tube.

Lotta shit going downhill with the recession and pandemic. construction booming but inventories are shrinking.

My 2 fav hotels in SJ have fallen off the radar online, have to call them direct. I'm still on house arrest at our country place, gotta get free by saturday.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

TRN Member

Covid test results in Managua don't take 24 hrs to appear, as You mentioned. You get the answer same day 3 pm if printed on the sheet, 4 pm online. Should be vice versa, but as we all know, this is Nica way, things upside down.
    Walk in, no appointment needed, rip off price $ 150 either in cash on site or to their bank account, also C$ accepted.
    I was thinking to leave Nica via CR, but when I figured out that Avianca drops me for $ 590 all the way to Boston, I decided to skip CR. After tomorror it will be clear if I regret that move.

one thing that is making is nervous is the insurance asks where you are traveling from and there is only one choice in the dropdown,, US

they want your residency as well.
    I'll spend some more time tomorrow.

daddy got out so it's possible.
    my understanding is,, you buy your health insurance first, then wait until 48 hours before your entry into CR to request your health pass.

insurance is cheap enough, less than $35 for 3 days, just enough to overnight,, get on your plane, and fly.

the devil is always in the details. you can't assume anything.

Blog Entries

I keep reading you need minimum of 5 days coverage, some people with 3 days run into hassles, same costs so go for 5.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The PCR test method replicates the viral RNA until there's sufficient to detect. Accuracy of the assay may depend on the development time, but that may not be a high concern in all cases in Managua, as long as they get the $150. Taiwan did well keeping the pandemic there to a minimum just measuring passengers' temperatures, flying in from Wuhan.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfromsinai View Post
    Covid test results in Managua don't take 24 hrs to appear, as You mentioned. You get the answer same day 3 pm ... Avianca drops me for $590 all the way to Boston,
    Curious thing about BOS. My daughters fly to Quito from there for much less than I pay PHL-MGA. Probably an unusually high concentration of Latin American Studies &/or Mesoamerican archaeology profs/majors in that area. Or more people there are willing to learn Spanish or Portuguese for good vacation deals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I keep reading you need minimum of 5 days coverage, some people with 3 days run into hassles, same costs so go for 5.
    That's what TicaBus told me on the phone - I ignored their advice; went thru OK on 3 days, cause my ticket out was in 2 days.
    I didn't qualify for real cheap coverage (too old):
    von GesichtBuch: I flew from Pensacola to Liberia one way for just over $200 with United. Insurance www.sevencorners.com/coronavirus/travel-medical-insurance ($15 for 5 days)
    end of Feb 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    one thing that is making is nervous is the insurance asks where you are traveling from and there is only one choice in the dropdown,, US
    Not with the insurance I got, sagicor.cr/seguro_para_turistas/ Crossed from Nicaragua by land, so, of course, that's what I put on the form.
    my understanding is you buy your health insurance first, then wait until 48 hours before your entry into CR to request your health pass.
    Yup. Plus have a place to stay in CR. Be sure to print a copy.

Blog Entries

Ha, been watching for cheap flts to Liberia, Pensacola via CLT $210, CLT - LIR $420.

Lived on Pensacola Beach for almost 2 yrs, nice. Airfares were shit when I was there.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

New Orleans to Liberia via Houston $200, Houston to Liberia around $500.

Fares to Liberia been wacky, cheap flts to SJO from everywhere.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Easter Saturday we spent at Las Peñitas. Suyapa Beach was packed. No one wore a mask; too busy stuffing their faces. On the day to celebrate Jesus’ resurrection, I perhaps had too much FdC. Monday I felt very weak, almost faint. Nausea, but no vomiting, no diarrhea, no fever. Remembering Pirate’s tale of his covid symptoms in AZ, I popped half a chloroquine + a zinc pill and slept all day & night, 24 hours. Much recuperate the next day, but still wary, I took azithromycin then plus the next 2 days. By the time I left for CR I felt fit as a horse (not the one that carried Lee Marvin in ‘Cat Ballou’).

Was I infected with SARS-CoV-2, a variant, since I was sure I’d got it in August (and beat it the same way)? But I never had an antibody blood test run, so I may never know for sure. And since the “health nuts” that seem to be running the world at this time are more interested in vaccinating you than learning whether you’ve acquired immunity through exposure in the global push for faux “herd immunity”, it likely doesn’t matter. What mattered is that I passed the covid antigen test at a reputable lab, so I wasn’t carrying/spreading the coronavirus.

Though I got a good night’s sleep, napped til check-out and hung around the hotel, after a big meal, til 5pm, I still had 8 hours to kill before my flight. So I took a cab to City Mall (1000 colones ~ $1.70) and watched a movie,‘The Fanatic’ with John Travolta (weirdly good) and hung-out wishing my bag was a suitcase with wheels so I could sight-see more leisurely.

Going through customs at Ft. Lauderdale at 6:30am was a breeze (has the Biden regime castrated all border agents?), but entering the airport again through TSA was a royal headache. It seems to me that’s when the regimentation of the American public began, with the Patriot Act, after 9/11. What a wasteful exercise in herd control. I’d always thought it was mostly a jobs-corp-like program since most workers seem to be like ghetto-types that may have no other skills than what Homeland taught them. But now that half the USA are considered terrorists (those who voted for Trump), TSA takes on a different meaning. Are all governments becoming total-control authoritarians?

Blog Entries

Busted out of house arrest in the campo and went down to the ghetto. Poop on international buses:

None run Hond-esteli-mga
    None run daily mga-sj
    my favorite, transnica, runs only on sundays so I settled for Nicaexpress that flies at 8am on thursday
    can't do return trip on ticabus because they have not published their May schedule yet.
    should have bought an open tickkee even tho they don't run on the day I want. to humor Tico migracion. I'll pick up one in sj or maybe online while I am in the states. WTF. many be they will have their May schedule up by then.

Might get covid vaccine in US, if they don't shut it down for having statistically insignificant bad outcomes.

Blog Entries

When I flew to Miami in July, it was spooky. The room at immigration had more workers than people passing. Been there dozens of times, being short and there always being a mass of people I had no idea what it looked like.

I walked up to a guard and asked where do I go, I always follow the people., he laughed and pointed.

Guy at booth was not even behind desk, just waved me through.

Nothing open in MIA, and I was there for nt, found a subway & a dunkin donut open. Took pics, was crazy, empty MIA.
    Ernie K Doe

"A couple of my friends in Estelí are getting vaccinated,, in their 30's, he's a dentist.
    One Ex-pat is supposedly getting it,, older. Tomorrow or the next day.
    NOT the Sputnik vaccine, Astra Zeneca, or at least that is what Minsa is telling them"

60 +, Canadian Expat got his shot. They turned Arieka and Gustavo down. Arielka claims that MINSA tried to contact me,, I missed the call.

They are eager to get vaccinated even though they h as d the virus last year. They both hope that the brigadistas return. Arielka gets $350 week to coordinate, facilitate, translate. When they put a dentist into the mix, not always, but when they do they pay Gustavo $1200 week.
    So,, serious money.

We were sitting around this morning,, just catching up, and someone said,
    "Paul Oquist and his wife should have never got the Sputnik vaccine"

Omar (hooked into the Estelí tobacco industry, he writes s book every year) claimed that smoking puros and frequent sex keeps him Covid free.

He claims that the nicotine in his nose and throat keeps the virus from attaching.

Who knows?
    The frequent sex? that keeps his blood pressure down. He claims a systolic of 115 and he's in his 60's.

I had a really hard day. One of the bolts that holds the front left brake caliper to the wheel fell off. I fixed it once with a big paper clip, but it didn't last. The second time I used sever as l plastic cable ties, and it got me back to the farm.

This is the second time it's happened; last time it was the other side. The guy doing the brakes is not properly torquing down those two bolts

I've got some red Locktite I'm going to apply tomorrow.

Taking off that big tire, twice, in the hot Esteli sun really took the sap out of me. If it wasn't for the drive thru beer Stand at the Starmart, I might not have made it back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Daddy O- Did your Sagicor policy say 50 k 0r 20k

Did their online purchase, policy said 20k. As I was doing this, my wife came in and said the lots in front of us were filling up with water. I told here that I was in the middle of something and I would be out in a few minutes. Last years sandbags were rotting so I dumped them last week. Fortunately I had a bunch of sacks or steer manure so I was able to block the garage porton and park the pickup in front of the main door. Told my wife we need to pressure the downhill asshole to remove the lodo damn he put up to protect his pozo. Putting a pozo in the bottom of what amounts to na intermittent stream isnt the greatest idea.She said the AH told her lazy cuidandero to remove it but he didn't, so tomorrow is our turn.

Early rainy season this year, I thought I had a month to fill new sandbags.

Anyway, I emailed Sagicor about it and they replied that foreign companies have to do 50 k but tico ones only have to do 20k, but both are acceptable to CR migracion. WTF... I hope the aduanas AHs arwe aware of this...

Also, along the way I saw they require a 3 day minimum so I chatted, Chat came back and said that they need 5 days. $112 for 5 days.

Sagicor fails to impress me.

Update--
    Went back to tico page, they say the 20k policies are good. Maybe it is CR that fails to impress me.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 04-18-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Wink Re: Renewing my tourist visa

We finally completed the entire process, Shelley has the magic QR code, so should be good to go.They accepted 3 days , $33 and cambio for the insurance.

Airport X has the bunkhouse open again so we're staying there tomorrow night. $21 + $3.50 each for breakfast. Regular Airport X room is $38.

The test lab at the airport has a site, but they couldn't accept CC or debit card payment. She already has an appointment for her first shot on Thursday in Tucson. Pfizer, with 3 weeks until the second shot.

Yes, rainy season may have started!! THAT would explain the rain! I've noticed that the rain seems fizzy, it must be all the CO2 in the atmosphere.

This has been an odd year,, no summer to speak of in the mountains. All part of global warming, and the impending droughts I guess. We'll have alligators swimming around Saudi Arabia before it's all over.

With gas priced at 38 cords a liter Nicaragua is doing their part to reduce emissions. Oil is only $63 / barrel; gasoline pricing makes as much sense as Biden's southern border strategy.

Or his election.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Daddy O- Did your Sagicor policy say 50 k 0r 20k
    Did their online purchase, policy said 20k.
    I didn't sweat the small stuff. My policy said 20k/20k/300 . . . 18k funeral (near death? CR may THE place to go) plus up to $300/d for lodging (room service included?). So I figured it added to over 50k = good-to-go. What counts is that it gets you your health pass (square QR birdshit). That plus your exit ticket and it's welcome to the land of Ticos.

I've noticed that the rain seems fizzy, it must be all the CO2 in the atmosphere.
    Guzzling too much bubbly landlubber? Sure raindrops are naturally carbonated. But falling from a low pressure elevation to the higher pressures below, it ain't gunna fizz. Nonetheless, you, Pirate, have scored beaucoup points with the Biden gang for thinking 'green' even if bass-ackward.

By the bye, doesn't DOS' son own most of Nicaragua's gas stations. Since the nasty foreign sanctions, citizens are happy to help the family maintain.

It was the Petronic chain they owned. They couldn't take credit cards for a while, don't know now.

Almost all have been renamed.

Uno is Honduran, Puma I understand is the current source of Nica gasoline.

I'm glad we got the Mahindra,, diesel is a full buck a gallon cheaper than gas.

J&J vaccine sounds like it's a go again. Shelley is going to keep her Pfizer appt on Thurs, and try for a J&J shot as well.
    Airport parking lot was full as we drove past.

Pic: Pupusa restaurant guy runs out of his house around the corner from Airport X. Highly recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 04-19-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Despite the full parking lot, no one here at the Airport X Just staff. Sign on counter claims breakfast from 4AM (or dinner for one of those late arriving Spirit flights)

Receptionist up sold Shelley; we're in the Airport X instead of the Bunkhouse.

He gave her a deal,, what's $10 among friends ?

Oppressive heat/ humidity, thunder and lightning.
    There are ceiling fans but they are not on.

Blog Entries

Yep, not looking forward to the bus ride. Overnight in mga, full day to SJ.
    Tomorrow morning I do CR health thing. After I get my reply, do I need a copy of the insurance policy or is it wrapped in with the questionnaire?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    (... for one of those late arriving Spirit flights)
    There are no Spirit flights into Liberia.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Tomorrow morning I do CR health thing. After I get my reply, do I need a copy of the insurance policy or is it wrapped in with the questionnaire?
    I did carry a copy of the first page and when I asked the CR agent if he wanted to see it, he said yes. He already had my passport, the QR health pass and a copy of my airline ticket out. With another agent he noted the 3-day coverage. I said, yes, I fly our in two days. He stamped my passport. Took less then 5 minutes, after waiting in line for more than a half-hour.

"There are no Spirit flights into Liberia."

I'm a cheap SOB, although not a Spirit fan.
    For Shelley, the closest she could have got was Phoenix after a cross country from Lauderdale.

For us, Liberia made more sense. Get on the plane at 1:30 pm in Liberia, home in Tucson at 8pm.

She's coming back in a month, will MGA be open by then?
    I might try talking her into the Tucson Tufesa bus to Hermosillo, two 70 lb bags, first class to MGA.

It was a cheap flight last year before they shut the route down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast