Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

The FEMA sites are in big cities, nearest 1 to here is over an hr away, is set up to give over 3,000 shots a day, but is having a lack of takers this week, they are begging people to come.

I found a local FB pg here that was keeping track of everyplace giving shots, announcing pop up sites. I joined a day late, had missed a pop up J&J site a few miles away, had not been widely advertised.

The next week was when they had the production snafu with J&J and supply dried up, gave up chasing J&J, by then was easy to get Moderna or Pfizer almost anywhere you wanted.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    In Florida I think can get free test at Walgreens / CVS / etc, might work for entry back into Nica, might not.

Easy to get vaccine, some States sending back some of their allotments. J&J cranked back up in Florida and can easily get an appt.

Get my 2nd Pfizer on Saturday. Had tried to get J&J appt 3 weeks ago but was tough unless you drove over an hr to 1 of the big FEMA sites.

Nicaragua claims they want PCR but let us in twice with the simpler, cheaper, faster, antigen test. Once right before Christmas, and again about a month ago.

ALL airlines flying to CR was an announcement I saw recently. Whether true or not, don't know. Liberia has always been more money, BUT sure a lot easier. And the testing right in the airport is a huge plus.

CR is really pushing their tourism. My Google Feed has daily stories about what to do in CR.

Nicaragua should hire their publicity company.

Long day yesterday,, I saw every arroceria in Sebaca before I was able to score some rice hulls.
    Two years ago they couldn't give them away, now . . . . . We were at our last place, on the road to Matagalpa and were turned down. The sacks were stacked to the ceiling, but it was all sold. We watched the last of of a 53 ft trailer being loaded
    -- for El Salvador!

Luckily the jefe noticed this lone Gringo hanging around, crying, and came over. We talked about a lot of stuff, but the upshot is Norwin sold me 53 sacks at 17 cords a sack. Seven cords is for the sack And gave me his number and said to give him a call if I needed more.

They still sun dry the rice on those big cement slabs you see as you go through Sebaco,, but they have begun to experiment with burning the rice hulls to dry the rice.

I saw that at a big beneficio in Honduras,, burn the peragamino to dry coffee. Fast, consistent, but the investment in the drying towers is significant. I buy coffee regularly in Honduras, but prefer the coffee from Nicaragua. I know they developed some rust resistant cultivos in Honduras. The Guatemala coffee is really good too, but the CR coffee is to soft for my taste.

I'll make a separate post,, I have pictures, the whole rice process is really interesting. They still have guys running around with two 100# sacks on their shoulders (three of the rice hulls), but a lot of the rest of it is automated.

Then back to Estelí, some chores, and we loaded 5 x 9 meter sheets of zinc from Ferromax. $110 each, don't remember that price but everything is going up.

They cut them to any length you want, >>>>> but be careful what you wish for.

I bought two quintal of harina de arroz at the arroceria, called semolina. I think that there is semolina of wheat too, but don't know. They grind up the broken rice grains and turn it into semolina.
    It was really fine, clean,, nutty taste. I'm going to try a bit of it in my bread and see if I can capture the flavor.

At 490 a quintal it's a lot less than concentrado which is running 850.

IF there is more COVID here you are sure not seeing it anymore in Estelí. La Colonia still requires a mask, but everyone including the sales clerks wear it below their nose.
    That great lunch buffet next to SN,, and SN don't require masks anymore.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Wife says covid is increasing in Nic as well as CR.

Apparently Minsa reported 63 yesterday - If true, very bad indeed.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

keep an eye on CR--covid spiking, airlines flying, State DEpt issued c4/don't go. Could be interesting by the time of my flight in a month.

Under the Smelling of the Roses category, when i was in alejuela I got my covid results at 0830, then ate at an outdoor restaruant, ubered to Rescate zoo ave, then to la Garita orchid garden and back before rush hour.

speaking of covid tests, scheduled for Walgreens drivethru mid-day tomorrow

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Looks like CR is in a mess, reinstating driving & business restrictions, can't afford to turn tourists away so trying to sell business as usual to tourists.

I know of a few recent covid deaths on Coast, 1 a preacher on Island, but seems he picked it up in MGA. Locals had been worried about the influx of visitors for Semana Santa but so far has not been a big issue.

https://ticotimes.net/2021/04/30/cos...covid-measures
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Anyone got those Chinese paper masks with the embedded worms?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Anyone got those Chinese paper masks with the embedded worms?

Bill Gates's nanobots in the vaccine battles the Chinese worms... No need for concern..

Blog Entries

I have some paper masks, but no worms. I feel gypped.

Blog Entries

I cannot imagine having to wear a mask every day for work. My face breaks out like is worms in mask.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

8:30 to 5 every day - Even at my cube - Blue at my desk and green when I do inspections - Inspections of product is done at less than 6 foot so the green has to be worn.

Green sucks - Waite sucking is sometimes good... Green ones bite ..

#1 - I now have immeasurable respect for Hospital and long term care folks.

#2 - With a (on site) staff daily of over 200 we have only had people quarantined because of family member exposure, zero hospitalisations, and by extrapolation, no deaths.

So it is what it is - I am comfortable with it..
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-30-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I wear kn95s because they fit my face. This mask stuff is a probability game so I like to stack the probabilities in my favor. On the bus down to SJ my mask got all sweatty and yucky, probably in the Tico Migracion hellhole, so I switched it out for a blue one I carried as a backup. I instantly saw why i wear kn95s--the blue one was light and much easier to breath thru, probably less than half as effective as the kn95s. Back to kNs. If I had to wear a mask all day or for show, I would use the blue ones but for disease prevention only KNs.

Found KNs hard to find in big box stores in civilization, ordered some from Amazon who promptly blocked me for logging on with a new computer. Lotta that going around,

Blog Entries

90+% of people in Leon and of what I've seen in the States who wear masks wear blue ones. As you and the CDC have said we wear them to protect others, not ourselves. The CDC warns against the KN95 masks:
    Apr 19, 2021 — KN95 masks are a type of filtering facepiece respirator that are commonly made in China and similar to N95 masks commonly used in the United States. BE AWARE: About 60% KN95 masks in the United States are counterfeit (fake) and DO NOT meet NIOSH requirements.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-of-masks.html

Not that it matters according to the only scientific studies published with control subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    I wear kn95s because they fit my face. This mask stuff is a probability game so I like to stack the probabilities in my favor. ... If I had to wear a mask all day or for show, I would use the blue ones but for disease prevention only KNs.
    Found KNs hard to find in big box stores in civilization, ordered some from Amazon who promptly blocked me for logging on with a new computer. Lotta that going around,
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

I have a couple of cloth masks I bought in nica a yr ago, always keep 1 in my pocket, wash a few times a week. Have a pile of the blue ones I have picked up here and there but they are loose fitting.

Just got my 2nd dose today at a CVS half mile away, they have it down pat, had a noon appt, walked in about 11:45 and was walking out at noon.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Saw 2 old ladies in the bank in esteli. they had cloth masks over the blue ones. If nothing else the cloth ones probably force a better fit on the blue ones.
    I hang my masks in the sun to dry out and let the UV kill germs.

I hear CDC bark. they have as much credibility as a used car salesman.

Blog Entries

I doubt my cloth masks are best protection but I an seldom around more than a few. I go to grocery when they open so is empty. Been in Walmart 1 time in 10 months and same thing, went at opening. Yesterday at CVS few people in store, staying spaced. Lots here not wearing masks, even where required, no one making minimum wage is going to fight with people about masking.
    Ernie K Doe

Southwest will be flying daily from Houston to Liberia starting June 6th.

Shelley's flight north was short and straightforward, but going back on the 15th she has one of those "around the world flights".

Price was right with a base fare of $145. Test in Tucson, overnight in Liberia $28 + taxi, bus to Peñas Blancas next morning ($5 + 2 hours).

$8 exit tax to leave CR,,

After that she enters the Twilight Zone and who knows?

The Conejo will keep an eye out for her, and I'll be waiting at the pedestrian exit.

Even with some quick stops in MGA we should be home by dark.

It could be worse,,, much worse.

Blog Entries

We are on the down side now (Those north of the Rio Grande) of this thing. Those south of the Rio Grande are in for a rough ride the next 10 to 12 months.

Universal vaccination - There are twinklings of vaccine "proof" starting to bubble up but the actual speed to which countries can implement something, while the virus is a viable entity in the first world , is slim. The first world will be vaccinated by the end of summer (northern summer) and then focus will shift to the daily human failings after that time. Things like this (Vaccination passports) are only triggered by first world influence.

Blog Entries

Its a 2-way sllding scale--downward due to vaccination and continued distancing vs upward due to new strains, carelessness, and foreign cuties coming in. The rest of the worls is just stareting out, Italy style.
    As we saw with the Peaceful Protests in the US last year, politics can push covid out of the news but the germ is very persistent.
    Spike in CR looks pretty strong. My plan to smell the roses in Sanjose for 4 days before return to Nic on the bus from hell looks iffy.

Blog Entries

Seeing chatter on CR pages that a big jump in premiums in last week.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

CVS Pharmacy shot me down on appt for covid vaccine because I don't have the new Medicare card that they won't send to Nic. May take 30 days to get card after spending 30-40 minutes on the phone with them. I wasn't particularly planning to make my flight, but I don't want to get jerked around forever.

Big brother knows all and controls all!

Blog Entries

Try someplace else, here they are begging people to get shots.

I made CVS appt online, in person they did not even ask for ID other than the check in I did on phone when I arrived.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

That's my plan, go into cvs tomorrow with a pen in my pocket and "take names" attitude. CVS is the only one in the area with Jensen. Put my name on the list for the VA, too. All of their web sites are circle jerks.

Personally, if I lived in Northern AZ I would not even think of taking the shot until at least when they take the "experimental" tag off it and make it a real vaccine. That might be years! Hell, cdc and china might send us a whole new pandemic by then and covid 19 will be just yesterday's news.

But with travel coming up thru 3 countries with everchanging rules I might succumb...to the vaccine.

Incidentally, the most dangerous place in my whole trip covid-wise was Tico migracion at Penas Blancas.

The planes are a big question mark if they have their HEPA filters in place, etc., they seem to be making the effort to move people as best they can.

Incidentally, if you take the 5 or 6 am buses you will probably beat some of the traffic and the heat at the border although CR seems a ba idea until the spike bottoms out.

Blog Entries

the way it is going in the US half the adult population is saying no. they have no faith in the CDC or the political clowns. Forced vaccinations will be a hard sell but the govmint will try. and the people will resist. At this point 80% vaccination by Dec 31 looks like a 0% probability. And the rest of the world is in deeper duckie.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    We are on the down side now (Those north of the Rio Grande) of this thing. Those south of the Rio Grande are in for a rough ride the next 10 to 12 months.

Universal vaccination - There are twinklings of vaccine "proof" starting to bubble up but the actual speed to which countries can implement something, while the virus is a viable entity in the first world , is slim. The first world will be vaccinated by the end of summer (northern summer) and then focus will shift to the daily human failings after that time. Things like this (Vaccination passports) are only triggered by first world influence.

Blog Entries

Herd immunity is a pipe dream. TV yesterday said 30% of States population fully vaccinated, judging by lack of interests here they may be lucky to get another 30%. They are about to start kids 12 & up, that will help their #s some but never get them close to the 80%+ needed for herd immunity.

TV shows pics of the big vaccine sites and most are near empty, those that wanted it have got it.

No idea if true but read it a few places CR worse than India. https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...s0HDr5kWM8zvY8
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

They're learning that a large majority of Americans don't trust the CDC, Bill Gates, Big Pharma, or government in general.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast