Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Up-to-date travel info

Default Re: Up-to-date travel info

Empezado por cookshow
    From the FB....
    COVID TEST AT LAS MANOS
    Couple of days ago I asked a question on crossing the border at Las Manos and doing the covid test over there instead of Managua. There were a lot of people with reactions and more questions.

Well, we did it and arrived in Honduras tonight! Here's how it went:
    We left from Ocotal, took a bus to the border at Las Manos and crossed the border at the Nica side (3$ pp, only dollars and no change!). Then we walked to the Honduras border, did the rapid test for 30$ pp (we had to wait a hour before the doctor arrived), paid 100 Lempira pp (only Lempira) to entry the country and crossed the border. People will help you find your way, super easy! After the border we took the bus to Paraiso, there we took a microbus to Tegucigalpa.

Note: be sure to have enough small cash in dollar. Also change some dollars to Lempira before crossing the Nica border!

Xlnte. That is what we are going to do.

Great information,, thank you.
    For us,, about the easiest and most direct shot is Las Manos. Unfortunately,, all raods stioll lead through Tegus,, but the belt around the city makes it pretty easy. We go north through Copan, Guate City, Esquintla, enter Mexico at Talisman. This will be our first experience with a C4 car.

We were going to do Guasaule again, but going out empty is a lot different than coming in loaded
    What can they say,,, "You can't leave" ?

Odd,, how the people and the experience can be so different.
    Honduras is super friendly now,, Nicaragua is like the old California DMV

Biggest problem will be "small dollar change" . No one is giving us dollar change for our dollar purchases,, but we have some business friends who will probably help us.

KWP, the coyotes in Esteli should be able to exchange to any dollar denomination, I've even seen them with $2 bills before.

Good idea,, thank you for that.

I hadn't thought of it.

Blog Entries

Charters scheduled through May....

From FB.

���������������� ��������������
    ���� #miami ���� # managua
    ���� # managua ���� #miami
    �� MARCH 12 - 19 - 26
    ��APRIL. 02 - 09 - 16 - 23 - 30
    ��MAY. 08 - 14 - 21 - 28
    Dates available for flights All our charters are with Eastern Airlines ✈️��������*✈️��������
    From Miami to Nicaragua and Nicaragua to Miami a negative Covid test is required
    ��check airport pick-up (TAXI)
    ��Car rental few requirements
    ☝��Available Service
    �������������� ❗❗❗
    ☎️ https://wa.me/message/NFRBY3527OLFJ1
    �� https://www.facebook.com/travellopeznicaragua/
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With Avianca dropping its SAL flights later in the month somebody should be picking up the huge demand to go to Nic.! jeje

I'm hoping Copa decides to stick around and increase flights. Once you get to cd.P you have options, although their vegas flight is still not back. AA and United could be the budget leaders, without sinking into spirit turf, but so far they have not been reliable.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    I'm hoping Copa decides to stick around and increase flights. Once you get to cd.P you have options,
    I did check when they said 2 a week end Feb then there were to goose it to 3 a week starting the first week of March - Have not checked flight aware for that one yet
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Charters scheduled through June.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cheer up, it could be worse. I wonder if passengers had been robbed if it would have made the news?

https://ticotimes.net/2021/03/17/air...rt-report-says

Blog Entries

COPA has some great deals to CA & SA from States right now, but the PTY-MGA leg is still way high. o/w to Guatemala via Panama is under $100 and can layover in PTY for 6 days en route (last I checked). Layover in PTY en route to MGA would mean yellow fever vaccine (if Nica still checking that).
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Can't imagine why airlines are reluctant to restart flights.....

https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2021/03/...usto-c-sandino
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2021/03/...usto-c-sandino
    Curious, two flights cancelled and two flew OK to MGA, all Avianca, same day, same departure points.

Clearly the hang-up is the PCR covid test requirement within 72hrs of arrival in MGA for the crew. If a pilot or copilot (or crew?) misses the deadline or fails the test - flight cancelled. Altho I'd thought the Columbians had worked out a deal with DOS. (Has the FARQ lost control of Avianca with the bankruptcy proceedings?)

Since CR opened its land border to tourists, I dropped my plan to fly Spirit out of San Pedro Sula after Easter, and happily booked Spirit out of SJO. At $235 o/w with checked bag to Philly, it's less that half the cost of Avianca out of MGA, only to MIA. Plus it's free, cause they owed me from July pandemic go/no-go BS. Ticabus, Managua to SJO, costs $29, and its schedule practically fits with Spirit's redeye timeslot.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

No change in flight availability until after the victory party in Nov

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Curious, two flights cancelled and two flew OK to MGA, all Avianca, same day, same departure points.

Clearly the hang-up is the PCR covid test requirement within 72hrs of arrival in MGA for the crew. If a pilot or copilot (or crew?) misses the deadline or fails the test - flight cancelled. Altho I'd thought the Columbians had worked out a deal with DOS. (Has the FARQ lost control of Avianca with the bankruptcy proceedings?)

Since CR opened its land border to tourists, I dropped my plan to fly Spirit out of San Pedro Sula after Easter, and happily booked Spirit out of SJO. At $235 o/w with checked bag to Philly, it's less that half the cost of Avianca out of MGA, only to MIA. Plus it's free, cause they owed me from July pandemic go/no-go BS. Ticabus, Managua to SJO, costs $29, and its schedule practically fits with Spirit's redeye timeslot.

Excelente!
    Finally some solutions that work.

It can only get better --- Right ?

Blog Entries

Opens on 5th, but not for Nicas, CR Embassy in MGA not open for visas, same as for Southern Mexico border, tourists can pass, issue for locals.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Opens on 5th, but not for Nicas, CR Embassy in MGA not open for visas, same as for Southern Mexico border, tourists can pass, issue for locals.
    They did announce a Tico ambassador to Niclandia last week so maybe the embassy may soon open.

With C-19 cases rising again, at least according to the C-19 observatory, the opening could be short lived.

Blog Entries

What will those Ticos think of next?
    https://ticotimes.net/2021/03/29/cos...rt-covid-tests

Browsing Spirit's site, we found flights from SJO for just over $100, and from San Pedro Sula, $145, to Lauderdale.

For us, San Pedro Sula is 145 km closer and there is the Covid test at Las Manos that gets us into both Honduras and the US.

Blog Entries

For us, San Pedro Sula is 145 km closer and there is the Covid test at Las Manos that gets us into both Honduras and the US.
    Someone on FB-Nica Flights who did the trip to Tegus, HN, & flew to US and sounded authoritative, said the covid test at Las Manos is NOT valid for entry into the US. Antibody -vs- antigen?
    I recall that Red Cross in Comayagua gives free tests. En route to SAP. Interesting, clean town with big US Army base nearby.

What will those Ticos think of next?
    https://ticotimes.net/2021/03/29/cos...rt-covid-tests
    Only at LIR? I'll check SJO. $65 is more than what I want to spend for a blood-drop-on-a-test-strip test, but they do have to rent airport space. It beats MINSA/DOS's $150 PCR-RT next day BS, where I'd bet they're only using the costly reagents on Nicas and giving gringos with no signs of fever/symptoms a test-free NEGATIVE.

Blog Entries

Check with ticabus, they have a deal with some place in sjo.
    Ernie K Doe

Antibody -vs- antigen ?

Antibody test requires pulling blood and proves that you indeed had the virus.

There is so much mis- information out there, and a lot of people with agendas (make a buck).

We knew from the December trip down that the gas stations all closed overnight, but didn't know that it was paer of a country-wide curfew until this recent trip.

But, Honduras was prospering, busy, open for our business. That highway from Tegus to SPS is fast, 4 lanes, smooth as silk. Two toll stations, $1 each.

only using the costly reagents on Nicas and giving gringos with no signs of fever/symptoms a test-free NEGATIVE

Really, that is all you need, the scrap of paper with the necessary stamps. If you've got the virus you don't want to know it until you get to the US.

Our latest thought is leave our truck in the extended parking at SPS, fly back, get vaccinated (don't need it ,,
    except it's going to turn to vaccination passports soon to get on a plane, so why not??).

Now, if Aero Mexico would just fly to SPS or Tegus .

It's complicated,, Life in the time of Covid .

Blog Entries

Once a country gets up to 70% vaccination + one or two months, the arrival criterion will ease.

Not sure if you ever traveled to Asia, but the thermal cameras remained from SARS up to the current pandemic. And Nicaville started using them in 2014ish onwards as well IIRC - So passive observation will become the norm.

Fraud will always be a possibility, depends on how the incoming country polices it - Some returning Canadians did that. One notable one by forging the true to false on the printed doc (they got caught thought) , the other with fake test from I think it was Mexico. They got caught too. Hence the arrival test and mandatory 3 day stay if you arrive by air.

That's why I lean to the AZ or JnJ as with those it shows that if you catch it, you have little chance of more serious infection. While the Pfizer and Maderna just take pains to stop you from getting it, with the dice roll of your genes to protect you if you do catch it..

Blog Entries

The three more virulent covid-19 variants coming up the road may require booster shots (vaccine modifications) to maintain validity of your vaccination passport. Bureaucrats' wetdream.

Meanwhile the director of the CDC - "fighting back tears" - warned of “impending doom” from a potential fourth surge of the pandemic.

They got you by the balls, Bunky, better do as they say.

Blog Entries

Ernie K Doe

They had one at El Espino, worked from the other side of the room.
    But, I don't remember a lot of fever. If you were really sick, maybe. The younger people hardly know they have it, but are probably contagious at some point.

As a point of interest, I just got a call from MINSA, checking on my health
    And I thought it was all about selling $150 tests .

Blog Entries

Heard from 2 sources that US passport holders can enter CR by land with covid insurance. and probably forwarding ticket.
    Nicas waiting on visas which should open up soon. Visas/ insurance/return tickees should slow down the border jumpers a little.

Local travel agency says they are not selling CR bus tickets yet till the border opens enough to justify the trips for the bus companies. April 6 is coming quick, so there should be some news.

Spring break/semana santa should produce a reasonable covid spike. Illegals walking into Biden land are bringing it in with them, too.

Shits going to go on till the end of the year after which it will probably be seasonal/local/endemic forever.

But no matter what happens, the politicians will still lie as their default position.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast