Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Up-to-date travel info

Blog Entries

Default Re: Up-to-date travel info

COPA has some low fares MIA or MCO - PTY - SJO under $120 o/w from MIA, can do up to 6 day layover in PTY, but then you may need proof of Yellow Fever Vaccine to get into Nica.

Other day saw MCO - PTY - GUA for $80 o/w.

Flights within States were crazy cheap but are creeping up.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Made it on united, sjo-las(vegas). Both full flights, usual United carryon crap (they let people with 2 carryons enter until the bins are full and then start forced-checking on the ones that don't know you hustle on the plane to get your carryon space. United, reminds me of the cattle trucks in basic training!

Anyway, sjo is a nice small airport, everything went fine. I gave them my paper covid report and they eyeballed it but did not scan it or anything. IAH immigration and customs took about an hour. Weird they took away the kiosk checkin, back to stand in line. Ag dude invited me for a chat, no plants, seeds, etc. Just downed my last piece of fresh, yummy MonteRico cheese to avoid any potential drama. I think if you have no checked luggage they suspect you of something, like KISS or Getterdone, and want to see you in person.

One nice touch on United, they deplaned by the rows to avoid the usual pushing and shoving of people getting up when there is nowhere to go. Only took the industry 90 years to figure this out?

Nicaexpreso same equipment and service as the other big boys. 12 hours, 3 of it in the border, mostly on the Tico side-not enough windows open, 5 whereas the Nica side had about 8. Its a big difference when a bus arrives.

No food or water, except a couple of vendors were allowed onboard talking loud and no masks. Nic has outhouses, CR has modern flushies. No lunch stop, bring your own.

Gone are the good ole days, you go thru full customs routine on both sides. Nic triple checks your travel docs and checks your Tico stuff once. Probably a nice courtesy to avoid somebody getting trapped in the no mans land. Before you had a 10 hour trip, the bus assistant batch processed your passports and you had an ample lunch stop!

Major road construction on the tico side, Maybe a good idea to take a crappy flight in Liberia rather than a good one in sjo.

Got a phone message from CDC, self quarantine for 7 days and get a covid test in 3-5 days. Sounds reasonable, but relatives say locals are loose and easy on covid protocols right now, despite a spike in cases.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Nicaexpreso same equipment and service as the other big boys. 12 hours, 3 of it in the border, . . . No food or water, except a couple of vendors . . . No lunch stop, ...
    Got a phone message from CDC, self quarantine for 7 days and get a covid test in 3-5 days.
    TicaBus took 11 hrs (leaving an hour late), 3 thru border, with a half hr+ stop for hot food, cafetin style, about 2 hrs into CR.

I'm surprised to read CDC contacted you; they never contacted me after landing in Philly, maybe cause I connected thru FLL. MINSA did call me a week after entering Nicaragua from CR back before Christmas..

Blog Entries

In July I got a text from CDC, on my Nica moviestar #.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

New charters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cookshow; 05-03-2021 at 02:59 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Checked, CR insurance has doubled, $50 for 5 days, had been $27.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Some people are recommending trawick for cheaper rates. Don't know, I am going to watch the tico spike on worldometer and gauge hospital occupancy on TicoTimes. Right now their daily new cases are almost double the worst times last year. Party hardy, Easter Bunny.

Hope the spike falls as as quick as it jumped. but I see my flight in 2 weeks to be very iffy. Plan was to play tourist in central valley for a few days before heading south.

Airlines phasing out free changes but I think my purchase date was under the wire.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-c...es/costa-rica/
    Last edited by el duende grande; 05-05-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Blog Entries

I have only checked Trawick, seems to be the cheapo pick recommended most by CR travelers.
    Ernie K Doe

Trawick was less than $10 for 6 days for an upcoming trip through CR.

Blog Entries

Under 70 years old wait till you see the Senior Discount!

Blog Entries

Yes. And for others like me who don't qualify for Trawick, there's still Honduras SAP for the cheapo Spirit of flying. A few different bureaucratic hurdles, but no big whoop. And the possibility, as Pirate mentioned, that the Nica border from HN accepts the cheaper, quicker antigen test is a plus.

Just checked Sagicor insurance for CR. It's the same price I paid when I left NI and flew out of CR.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Yes. And for others like me who don't qualify for Trawick, there's still Honduras SAP for the cheapo Spirit of flying. A few different bureaucratic hurdles, but no big whoop. And the possibility, as Pirate mentioned, that the Nica border from HN accepts the cheaper, quicker antigen test is a plus.

Just checked Sagicor insurance for CR. It's the same price I paid when I left NI and flew out of CR.

Shelley will be buying in the next few days for a return flight on the 15th.
    She is going to go ahead and get a PCR because they are the same price: Free

Why pull the devil's tail ? The antigen test worked twice,, but the third time ??
    Quien Sabe, KemoSabe? We're talking Nicaragua here.
    The Chamuka could get a pimple on her butt and shut the country down for a few days.

Into Liberia, same hotel and taxi driver, but less money for the hotel this time.
    Head to the Twilight Zone in the morning,, rested and ready to do battle with the zombies

I'll post numbers as soon as I have them.
    She did well on the insurance going out,, only had to buy 3 days.

Blog Entries

Revenge of the Easter Bunny.
    Travel in CR is possible now, especially a quick hop to covid test, bus to border, adios CR. But a bad place to linger or get stuck.

https://ticotimes.net/2021/05/23/cos...d-vaccine-push

It took a month for the spike to peak(?), will it take a month to go down? And how long after that will it be till the hospitals normalize?

Shelley's biggest problem coming back was a broken wheel on one of her 50 lb suitcases.

She used the PCR test she had so we don't know if they would have accepted the antigen test (which she also had).

Hot and tired, and neither of the ATMs at the CR migration point worked.
    Her phone worked in CR that morning as she left the hotel,, but didn't when she got to Nicaragua. A quick POPO fixed it, but I was beginning to get worried.

In the entire time I was parked just north of the gate i saw just two tourists.

Blog Entries

Have seen many people mention issues at the border as you got all the codes and such on phone, make sure you got screen shots saved, do not depend on cell service at border.

Always been wonky there, before you leave Nica you start getting messages from Claro or Moviestar CR. There is way to make it work, before I would cross I would go to Moviestar office and for few bucks they would set you up for CR. ATMS there been mostly down from all recent reports, if trying to pay the exit fee I think that shack on the East side of road before Immigration is best.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Bird crap code update. Either CR has changed its procedure or they process foreign insurance companies differently than domestic. With a foreign company you have to upload the policy. With a Tico company the first time I just gave them the policy number.
    Long story short, policy would not upload on CR system. I found you have to convert it to PDF. That worked and I got instant birdshit to go with my rapidly cooling morning coffee.

Cheer up, it could get worse. On the tube I saw a poor old woman get quarantined with a personal guard at the door in Hawaii. Seems CVC gave her the wrong test and the airline didn't catch it either. Because she cried bloody murder and was fully vaccinated before the flight they gave her time off and let her fly back to the mainland.

Also discovered that my spellcheck thinks "birdshot" is the correct spelling for "birdshit".

Blog Entries

everyone saying to get 5 days insurance, and also saying issues with Trawick.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Other than not sending policy in PDF form Trawick seems quick and efficient, but who knows when you have a claim. So far haven't heard of anyone getting the wuflu in cr while traveling. With a lot of nicoholics just passing thru CR they won't have time to develop symptoms and will be in Nic. where the policy might not apply (?) before they do.

Unless you do get sick or test positive, its just another travel tax.

Blog Entries

Not sure what issue was with Trawick, sounded like internet issue, people were buying through a 3rd party, trawick policy and cheaper, might be worth researching.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Trawick is so cheap it isn't worth fooling around with others unless it comes on a personal recommendation or something. $69 for 6 days when Sagicor was 112 bucks for 5 days. All lot of coverage, too, I just have no idea how they are if they have to pay out. But I don't know if Sagicor is user friendly either.

Anyway, it all a trade off--cheap cheap flight with an insurance tax and a Q-tip tax. I wish they would either get confident of their vaccines or not get confident and lie like they do on everything else and do the "passports"

Trawick is $10 for 5 days for me, I've used them three times so far, never any issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234