Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Up-to-date travel info

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Up-to-date travel info

It's all a crap shoot, but most people are getting thru one way or another, but with added cost, delays, risk, and stress.

Best info on these 3 sites:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/357866422221528

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Back...16043205379126

https://www.eaai.com.ni/es/internacionales

Copa and avianca are flying. Eastern has frequent charter flights from MIA. Spiritless and Unamerican are still selling tickets for non-existent flights.

Quotes from Avianca and copa to Vegas are usurious--RTs in the $1800 range. RTs within an RT are more reasonable ( such as avianca to MIA and a separate reservation mia to vegas on a different line. Will probably pay double on baggage and if the first flight screws up you are on your own with the second airline. Also note avianca prices are going up in april, $700+ rt to mia.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Up-to-date travel info

Continental to Vegas from El Sal or Hon via Houston looks like "easiest". Keep reading about testing at Los Manos border crossing but nothing reliable enough to lay book on.

Noticed that AA & Spirit prices from MIA-MGA jump drastically in June so guessing that is their guesstimate for a return. Think you can buy a O/W "ticket" on Spirit FLL-MGA for under $75 next few months, of course you are only loaning them money, collateral being a credit for future travel.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Something else I have seen several posts mention -

Entering CR you need the insurance, cheap through Trawick and others, not cheap through CR Gov. Several people that bought 3 day policies (think is minimum) to travel through to Nica have been hustled at airport by authorities saying they need 5 day policy and pointing them to a convinient kiosk to buy additional 2 day policy. Figure is a Gringo Tax sort of thing. Doubt 5 day Trawick policy is more than 3 day policy. Something to check on if traveling via CR.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I had herd a few say (type) it was $75 for the 3 day
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Just checked Trawick, 3 or 5 day the same. $25 for 50 yr old, $75 for 70 yr old.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Just checked Trawick, 3 or 5 day the same. $25 for 50 yr old, $75 for 70 yr old.
    Well now I know the age of the typists

Blog Entries

Sorry, $45 for 70 yr old.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Eastern has friday flights thru march. $488 ow from mia. Appears rt not offered. Not much use but somebody must be flying them.

Before covid I saw a thing on Youtube that said that the expensive seats up front were 80% of flight gross. Us peons in back were justed stuffed in for the small change.

If business travelers are not flying, air fair may be high for the foreseeable future depending on the route. Probably not a lot of maquindora execs flying right now.

Blog Entries

Eastern was allowing 2 checked bags, 70# each, be great for muling but all reports are MGA Customs is tough right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Avianca pulling the plug on the MIA - SAL.

YYZ - SAL and IAH - SAL DAL - MEX routes will resume though in early April though

So Charter only unless you can get a seat on Copa..

https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2021/03/...utas-afectadas

Blog Entries

Costa Rica has extended tourist visas (again) through June, so guessing land borders unlikely to open before July.

Bad news from Avianca, lot of those going to and from MGA were routing through SAL.
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-02-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

My mother in law is returning to Nicaragua. She'd have left months ago except for the Coronaphobia. So she charged the ticket to her Nica-based card and the transaction was stopped for suspected fraud. She hasn't used the card in about a year, so it's kind of understandable. But the ticket prices apparently fluctuate like the stock market, so we don't know how it's going to end up. It's Delta to Miami, then Avianca to, well; I assume it was to Managua but I'm not positive...

Blog Entries

From the FB....

COVID TEST AT LAS MANOS
    Couple of days ago I asked a question on crossing the border at Las Manos and doing the covid test over there instead of Managua. There were a lot of people with reactions and more questions.

Well, we did it and arrived in Honduras tonight! Here's how it went:
    We left from Ocotal, took a bus to the border at Las Manos and crossed the border at the Nica side (3$ pp, only dollars and no change!). Then we walked to the Honduras border, did the rapid test for 30$ pp (we had to wait a hour before the doctor arrived), paid 100 Lempira pp (only Lempira) to entry the country and crossed the border. People will help you find your way, super easy! After the border we took the bus to Paraiso, there we took a microbus to Tegucigalpa.

Note: be sure to have enough small cash in dollar. Also change some dollars to Lempira before crossing the Nica border!
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-03-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Super info Kevin, thanks. I've been following Nicaragua Flight/Travel Info daily for a while and details about testing at the Las Manos crossing were leaking bit by bit, but never as clearly positive as you present this morning. I'll soon follow your footsteps. Did you do the 'precheckeo' to enter HN? What time of day did you enter? Are you headed for San Pedro Sula? If going on to the States, will the quick covid test you did at the border serve to enter USA?

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    From the FB....
    COVID TEST AT LAS MANOS
    Couple of days ago I asked a question on crossing the border at Las Manos and doing the covid test over there instead of Managua. There were a lot of people with reactions and more questions.

Well, we did it and arrived in Honduras tonight! Here's how it went:
    We left from Ocotal, took a bus to the border at Las Manos and crossed the border at the Nica side (3$ pp, only dollars and no change!). Then we walked to the Honduras border, did the rapid test for 30$ pp (we had to wait a hour before the doctor arrived), paid 100 Lempira pp (only Lempira) to entry the country and crossed the border. People will help you find your way, super easy! After the border we took the bus to Paraiso, there we took a microbus to Tegucigalpa.

Note: be sure to have enough small cash in dollar. Also change some dollars to Lempira before crossing the Nica border!
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

Not my reporting, I am in States, saw it on FB. Like you, been seeing mention of Los Manos but no details except that post on FB.

Supposedly any test will get you into USA.
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-03-2021 at 08:29 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

In Leon you might check with whoever runs the shuttles to Antigua for info. Other day saw a report by someone who traveled Antigua - Leon. The shuttles used to run few times a week, seems like are running weekly (or sporadically) now. TicaBus or any other international bus running should be good source for info on Honduras border.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Interesting story on the Nica flight page of a Nica couple flying through Tico land (THey did not say LIR or SJO) and were refused entry to CR and are aledgidly being shipped back to the US - Apparently on a one way ticket - While they do not state it directly I am assuming that they are flying on Nica passports which could explane the odd circumstance.

I am truly confused about the Avianca press release of Monday

I have _assumed_ that there were two flights - One MIA to MGA direct a few days a week and another MIA - SAL - MGA daily. But the more I look into it via flight aware and the like it _looks_ like there is only one flight that is MIA - SAL -MGA daily. Maybe the direct is the Charter?

I can only extrapolate that the cessation of the MIA to SAL flights will leave MGA travelers "SOL" but that is only my guess so far.

Blog Entries

Nicas need a CR visa, which the airline should have caught, if that was the issue.

Honduras is not on my favorite country list. Yes, do the online visa-less visa and make multiple photocopies. Bus will probably make you provide a copy before buying ticket. If you lose the copy they may throw you off the bus. If Hond customs takes your copy they will throw you off the bus. Hond. explicitly states that the precheqeo is retaliation against Nic for doing it to their citizens, so you are not just going to a border, you are going to a pissing contest.

Today's airport page shows in and out flights to sal and mia, so they are apparently not shut down yet to sal.

I don't yet know what Panama's requirements are for travelers in transit who spend less than 24 hours in the airport. Nic should wave yellow fever requirements for said transit people. I am exempt for age so shouldn't be a problem if I go that route. Not really planning anything for march, it is all too iffy and florida will soon be the next superspreader on spring break.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post

Today's airport page shows in and out flights to sal and mia, so they are apparently not shut down yet to sal.

It is in the air...

Blog Entries

OK there is a 3PM Nica time departure to MIA today..

Blog Entries

That Nica couple on FB, stuck in SJO, were refused entry into CR, it seems, for lack of a valid exit-CR ticket. They're US citizens also. They're getting a ton of advice on FB. The best IMO was to stop in PTY and get a ticket direct to MGA, since they're being forced to backtrack thru PTY

Oops, another Kevin, cookshow. I'll likely try that cheap route thru HN. I'm starting to feel boxed in. My quandary: in 2wks I'll have to extend my visa. Will the Nica extension be valid in HN? If not, I have to drop all and skedaddle.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    That Nica couple on FB, stuck in SJO, were refused entry into CR, it seems, for lack of a valid exit-CR ticket. They're US citizens also. They're getting a ton of advice on FB. The best IMO was to stop in PTY and get a ticket direct to MGA, since they're being forced to backtrack thru PTY
    Yes as the tread progressed it appears they made mention they entered Tico-ville on Nica passports and froze upon confrontation at passport control and never bothered to mention the hold US passports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post

Oops, another Kevin, cookshow. I'll likely try that cheap route thru HN. I'm starting to feel boxed in. My quandary: in 2wks I'll have to extend my visa. Will the Nica extension be valid in HN? If not, I have to drop all and skedaddle.
    Guessing most going that route are on extensions, but is interesting question. Cheap flights out of SAP, saw a SAP- Philly on United via Dulles, or Spirit via FLL. Something else to check, Spirit flies SAP - MCO (Orlando) non stop. IF SPIRIT IS ACTUALLY FLYING THAT ROUTE AND NOT JUST SELLING TICKETS......

Sounds like the people struck in SJO didn't do their research, CR is tough about proof of onward travel, and using their Nica passports was a stupid move to boot if they hold US passports.
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-03-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Most are getting thru, just a lot of booby traps along the way--return/forwarding tickets, covid tests, yellow fever cards, 8 day intention to travel, airlines that don't fly, etc.! Not to mention 13 hour layovers in places you don't want to be.

Sneaky airlines--Avianca had a cheapo mga to lax, sign here, don't ask any questions (like total time, as in 20 hours for a 5 hour flight). Copa has a special--you can do a stayover in CD. P for up to 6 days at no extra cost. Might be nice but if you are going to Nic. that could trigger a YF card. My wife and I are talking of seeing Nic. first, except she is afraid of bandits in the countryside. Neither one of us likes the lowlands so the mountains are our only option.

Blog Entries

Most are getting thru, just a lot of booby traps along the way--return/forwarding tickets, covid tests, yellow fever cards, 8 day intention to travel, airlines that don't fly, etc.! Not to mention 13 hour layovers in places you don't want to be. And heaven help you if you are traveling in a group of different nationalities. Trust me, a Nica who doesn't have US residency is a non-person in much of the world.

Sneaky airlines--Avianca had a cheapo mga to lax, sign here, don't ask any questions (like total time, as in 20 hours for a 5 hour flight). Copa has a special--you can do a stayover in CD. P for up to 6 days at no extra cost. Might be nice but if you are going to Nic. that could trigger a YF card. My wife and I are talking of seeing Nic. first, except she is afraid of bandits in the countryside. Neither one of us likes the lowlands so the mountains are our only option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast