Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    So what is your opinion of 2 days the Guat border from north east Mexico?

And then 2 days through Guat and Honduras ?

A little too aggressive?
    Hard to drive at night through either Guate or Honduras. We do it ,, but it's very stressful. Potholes, other road damage,
    Make sure your phone service supports Google Maps,, you can get a chip and recarga cheaply from TelCel that takes you to Nicaragua if your phone is unlocked.

A lot will depend on how fast you can push through the borders. After Mexico you have 4 x 2 hours each, minimum, if you have stuff.

One thing that is really helpful are copies of your passport page, license, registration on one page, and a copy of your title on the back. I do lots of these, in color. You will still need to get copies, of your passport stamps for the vehicle permits but it's that much less to manage.

Keep your original documents separate, and secure. Maybe a bank bag? Make sure you get them back. Things get hectic at the borders, keep your cool. A half dozen people will be talking at you at once. Everyone from beggars to "facilitators " who will insist that the border is closed and only they can get you through.

There are two of you, one person goes really fast, just a passport stamp, so can watch the vehicle. They will only put one name on vehicle permits. Doesn't mean the other person can't drive.

Double check that you indeed get your passport stamps.
    Throw nothing out, all those postage sized scraps of paper have meaning for someone.

You can throw everything out when you get to Nicaragua.

It's a great adventure.

One other thing, Honduras requires a PreChequeo, do it on your phone and they respond with an email to show immigration. Free, easy.
    Nicaragua might require a 'Solicitud" for you. They will do it for you at the border, but it takes time, and they hassle you.

Residents and citizens do not need it, but we had to wait while they did one for Shelley last month.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    One other thing, Honduras requires a PreChequeo, do it on your phone and they respond with an email to show immigration.
    Got it... https://prechequeo.inm.gob.hn/Login
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Pirate is much more up to date on things all the way through than I am. He offers lots of good advice. It has been years since I ran from from Brownsville to Guatemala. I have bused it from GUA to CR, and driven between all the countries at different times, but not all the way through and not all at once and it has been years. For years I ran a lot of Mexico, especially along the east coast area. Lately not so much.

What I will proffer up is that you might look at avoiding Nuevo Laredo. I live in the area and we share news with Laredo and Nuevo Laredo, and it is the one place you consistently hear about a lot of highway extortion, kidnappings, and shakedowns. Look at the links below.

I think I would consider either Hidalgo/McAllen-Reynosa or even Brownsville-Matamoros. If you cross in Reynosa you can take the toll road to Monterrey and go down the center or center west route. Or you could go the coast road through Tampico and then catch the toll ways after that. The Coast road was always much more interesting and appealing to me as the scenery is better and cost was cheaper for cooler places. I haven't heard of it being dangerous lately, but who knows. All the traffic that hauls the pickups and towed along cars and school buses and stuff take the coast road to Cent Am.

I think if I was doing it, and part of this is familiarity, I would cross at Reynosa, jump to the car permit place which is real close to the bridge and is basically in the return to the US area, as if there are any problems you are already on the way out. If you get your permit and stuff lined out, there is a really nice and safe Holiday Inn about 2 blocks from there on the Mexican side. I would then spend the night at the Holiday Inn and take off early at first light to run hard during the day. If you run the coast road I would not recommend running it at night. I have made it from Brownsville to Belize in 2 days before and about the same to Las Flores, but only drove at night south of Veracruz where there is bigger and better toll roads.

If you are headed to Tapachula, I believe there is a fairly good route from coming out of Veracruz to cross over and head that way. Reynosa to Tuxpan or Poza Rica is doable in one day and actually what we used to do was run from Reynosa/Matamoros past Poza Rica into an area called Costa Esmeralda, which is a long stretch between Poza Rica and Veracruz with lots of beach front hotels and places to stay. I think the coast road route might be a little longer. But from what I have been hearing I think I would avoid Nuevo Laredo. Right now NL is controlled by the CJNG cartel and they are much more out in the open and aggressive in terms of targeting civilians for crime. Further down the river the CDG cartel still control things and they are nowhere near as overt in other crimes.

If you cross in Laredo, Mexican customs there are gonna be rotten bastards at Xmas time. Other crossings should be better in that regard.

https://dpoder.com/2021/04/02/policias-y-crimen-organizado-exigen-cuota-a-paisanos/

https://www.dallasnews.com/espanol/a...iajar-en-auto/

Blog Entries

Surprisingly Brownsville looks to be a zero sum gain as well with one hour more US driving and 1 hr less MX driving.

Mind you I am not using the google times as posted - But - I do have to say with all of the phone data they process I have found them to within minutes in Canada and the US.

And if Gordie were not a two seater I could offer Cook Show a ride to boot
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks fairly accurate from what I remember. I wanna say we made it from McAllen to Chetumal in about 23 hours driving time. McAllen to right at the GUA border was, I think it is El Ceibo, was like 20 or so hours.

There is no toll road from Reynosa/Matamoros down through Tampico, but starting right outside of Tampico there are toll road stretches. One interesting thing on this route is you go right past the Mexican Nuclear power plant.

In the good old days a leisurely drive from Reynosa/Matamoros all the was down was really, really neat. There are the ruins at El Tajin, which due to location is the least known Major Mexican Archeological site, and my favorite. There are ruins all into Veracruz and the City of Veracruz is oh so wonderful, or was. Best food in Mex in my opinion. The mountains around Poza Rica, that is the home of the indians that fly around the big tall pole by their ankles by the way (well it is Papantla), are full of orchids and at certain times of the year you can smell the vanilla. At one time that was the vanilla capital of the world.

The gulf coast all down through there is really interesting too, Tecolutla is a cool town and Tuxpan is very neat, that is where Fidel launched his revolution from and traveled back to Cupa. They have a really cool Fidel museum there, in that late 80's I pissed in Fidel's old toilet, so I have that going for me.

The roads coming into, going around, and south of Veracruz are really nice toll roads and you used to be able to flat ass haul ass.

Brownsville/McAllen used to be much easier border crossings that Nuevo Laredo, besides proximity, we always preferred them for that reason. They have been harassing and fleecing travelers in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo since Christ was a Corporal. When we lived in Mexico we drove from CDMX to Houston and thereabouts 3 to 5 times a year, for 12 years. I think we did Laredo like twice, and my parents said "no mas", I remember my mother having a yelling fit with a Mexican customs guy and us going back to the La Posada in Laredo one time and driving down Roma, TX and crossing there the next day.

Blog Entries

Several on the road in Mexico FB pgs, as mentioned seems to be an uptick in robberies on some of the roads lately. Currently some sort of protests in Chiapas have some roads there closed. The FB pgs have almost daily reports from various border crossings, the pros / cons, tips & tricks.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Several on the road in Mexico FB pgs, as mentioned seems to be an uptick in robberies on some of the roads lately. .
    At the moment I just have the Panamerican group with Mexico content - what are other good ones?

Blog Entries

I stared at the US leg map again this mornigng and it Occured to me

Memphis BBQ for dinner on day 1 - Lunch at Franklin's in Austin for lunch on day 2 - That is worth the drive alone...

Blog Entries

On the road in mexico

It gets tons of posts, lot of good info on best routes, recommended places to stay on various routes.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Did the RT Philly-Leon, jodido, four times 2006-8. Love Mexico, a gorgeous country. Going South, always spent a nite in a motel in Brownsville and crossed into Matamoros early. Invariably the police there took a bite out of my wallet. Once I got bit twice, telling the second pair that other cops already took all my pesos, so they took me to an ATM. Driving North I liked staying in Cd. Victoria before crossing. An interesting place, well-kept, modern & historic, but even back then ever other man looked like a sicario.

Traveling with maps & asking directions, I took my sweet time driving along the Mexican East coast, visiting all pre-Columbian ruins I could. Very much enjoyed Costa Azul, Tuxpam, Papantla, and Veracruz. Didn't like Poza Rica. We had Tajin to ourselves once cause the heat was so intense. Usually crossed at the isthmus and stayed in Tapachula (coincidentally, same hotel as the Pirate), except twice I visited La Venta to see the Olmec museum & nearby ruins and Palenque (my favorite of the Mayan ruins). Then on to the uniquely beautiful San Cristobal de las Casas. The mountains of Chiapas and in the neighboring region of Guatemala are spectacular. And the border crossing there was a breeze. However, Chiapas has always been a hotbed of activism. I was never in Tuxtla-Gutierrez when there wasn't some large protest happening, but I never felt to be in danger.

Back then the gas was much cheaper in Mexico. The Pirate's advice in crossing CAm borders is spot on: be prepared and take your time. The coastal road thru El Salvador was like driving California's Big Sur.

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    That looks fairly accurate from what I remember. I wanna say we made it from McAllen to Chetumal in about 23 hours driving time. McAllen to right at the GUA border was, I think it is El Ceibo, was like 20 or so hours.

There is no toll road from Reynosa/Matamoros down through Tampico, but starting right outside of Tampico there are toll road stretches. One interesting thing on this route is you go right past the Mexican Nuclear power plant.

In the good old days a leisurely drive from Reynosa/Matamoros all the was down was really, really neat. There are the ruins at El Tajin, which due to location is the least known Major Mexican Archeological site, and my favorite. There are ruins all into Veracruz and the City of Veracruz is oh so wonderful, or was. Best food in Mex in my opinion. The mountains around Poza Rica, that is the home of the indians that fly around the big tall pole by their ankles by the way (well it is Papantla), are full of orchids and at certain times of the year you can smell the vanilla. At one time that was the vanilla capital of the world.

The gulf coast all down through there is really interesting too, Tecolutla is a cool town and Tuxpan is very neat, that is where Fidel launched his revolution from and traveled back to Cupa. They have a really cool Fidel museum there, in that late 80's I pissed in Fidel's old toilet, so I have that going for me.

The roads coming into, going around, and south of Veracruz are really nice toll roads and you used to be able to flat ass haul ass.

Brownsville/McAllen used to be much easier border crossings that Nuevo Laredo, besides proximity, we always preferred them for that reason. They have been harassing and fleecing travelers in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo since Christ was a Corporal. When we lived in Mexico we drove from CDMX to Houston and thereabouts 3 to 5 times a year, for 12 years. I think we did Laredo like twice, and my parents said "no mas", I remember my mother having a yelling fit with a Mexican customs guy and us going back to the La Posada in Laredo one time and driving down Roma, TX and crossing there the next day.

Blog Entries

The mexico bit seems to be panning out to be easier than across Canada.

The truck - First you have to get a temporary (14 day) permit for Ontario (Where the truck will not be) $75 bucks and a 1/2 hour in line

Then you have to fly to the place where the truck IS and pay a temporary fee to drive it there - Some dollars and some more time in line..

But that BC permit is only good for 2 days....

So somewhere between Calgary and "Moose Jaw" I will need to stop and get another 2 day temporary permit for transit through the prarie provinces...

AND.... The shipping dock is closed to non essential staff, so a flat bed truck has to drive it out of the yard $80 fee

And.. Work stated that they are keeping the 2 week stay at home order if you leave the province until at least end of August

That is before the trouble of arranging flights and all to get out there...

PPPHHHHHTTTT looks like the truck comes by train...

Blog Entries

Covid aside, I would be more concerned over the the coming November 7 pandemic that will hit Nicaragua.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Covid aside, I would be more concerned over the the coming November 7 pandemic that will hit Nicaragua.
    That is specifically why I punted it from Mid Nov to start Dec - Have to see if the pot boils.

Blog Entries

If it boils???
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The last three elections didn't exactly boil. Seems like Nicas don't care any more. Yeah, I know the natives on the east coast area always rattling sabres, but it's like up here - we've spent years hearing "there's gonna be another civil war!!!" I think a Greek guy wrote a story like that long ago, about a bored shepherd kid.

Blog Entries

No one wants another war. They will close roads, starve him out, it worked in 2018, they got tired before he did.
    Watch and see.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Indian population is way more than anyone says. They are putting up a kid not their "LIDER SUPREMO". Indiana control Coast, (all the $$$$), lobster, fish, gold. They can shut down country.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Why war when you can close 2 roads and a river.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Indian population is way more than anyone says. They are putting up a kid not their "LIDER SUPREMO". Indiana control Coast, (all the $$$$), lobster, fish, gold. They can shut down country.

Kevin...Maybe this is a whole nother thread and I do not mean to be confrontational......but why do the Indians then, allow the logging and associated land grabs to go on?.............. Or.....the mining for that matter.......It is an "autonomous region"!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Tom, they don't. Gov owns all timber, and supports Colonists that steal their land. Do some reading..
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Ahh, the mining, mostly Canadians, pay a hard toll to Daniel daily.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

After Felix hit, gov would not let Indians take fallen trees, gov took them, and never stopped.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Then your statement "They can shut down the country" is bullshit.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Read on it. No secret.

Indians on Corn Islands have tripled on last decade.

They got no where to go.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast