Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

I asked about Gordie's shipping today

Broker came back with a tentative space departing May 10 - Hitting Japan the 14,15 & 16 and then Tacoma Wa on May 29. So it would hit BC a couple 3 days prior to that.

This ship drops down the Mexico (Manzanillo) and then hits the Canal to Savanah Ga and then up the rest of the east coast.

Mind you there are other lines showing jumps from Japan (the same 3 cities) to Vancouver at about the same time so it may just go Korea to Japan on ship 1 and then Japan to BC on ship 2 .

Anyways this is the tentative sched I received.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

The neighbour, two houses from us, put their house up for sale Tuesday - It sold today - $120K over asking in 5 days - ($670K CDN - $553 US)

That's just silly - Well good for us, but still silly. The 670K is 150K more than the selling price of the house just next door to us in Mar 2020. It sold for 75K over the 449K asking at that time.

Blog Entries

So the housing bubble is in Canada, too. Do you have lumber shortages and high prices? I haven't heard anything about median income rising to meet these new abnormal housing prices, so other than people fleeing California and other high priced areas to find cheaper and freer places to live, I really don't get it.

Blog Entries

Yes bubble it is... - The only thing that is scary is that the banks here actually hold the mortgages - They don't (or can't, not sure) sell them off. So they are in for the ride should things tank..

Bloomberg

Lumber is just as loopy - 348 bucks for 300 board feet Aug 2019 - Now $1600 for the same 300 board feet this week. So much so that we have put off doing anything with our place on the island until it gets below 500.

It was $50.99 CDN for a freeking 4x8 7/16 OSB sheet in early April. That is typically a $11 sheet in "normal" times.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Granma was right, "the rich get richer and the poor have children" except now the poor don't even have children unless they are immigrants.
    Like the 2008 recession and the rust belt recession, a lot of people get cut off at the knees and disappear into the woodwork, never to be seen again. Those that don't get cut off at the knees thrive and spend and set new standards of conspicuous consumption.. You tube videos about white S. Africans living in trailer park squatter camps may be the future of affordable housing.

Housing prices in AZ up maybe 50% since covid. We always had a high refugee population from the PRK and they come with money. Sad part is local working folk have been bid out of the competition for home ownership and rents are creeping up so they get had on either end.

Govmint in CR is starting to talk like they have a covid problem.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Yes bubble it is... - The only thing that is scary is that the banks here actually hold the mortgages - They don't (or can't, not sure) sell them off. So they are in for the ride should things tank..

Bloomberg

Lumber is just as loopy - 348 bucks for 300 board feet Aug 2019 - Now $1600 for the same 300 board feet this week. So much so that we have put off doing anything with our place on the island until it gets below 500.

It was $50.99 CDN for a freeking 4x8 7/16 OSB sheet in early April. That is typically a $11 sheet in "normal" times.
    I think it speaks to the value of dollar as well. And the low interest rates. The trillions recently pumped onto the economy have to go somewhere.

Probably a lot of boomer money being inherited that serves as down payments. So, all those nursing home deaths served some purpose.

Where it's all going is anyone's guess.
    A REAL pandemic would level the playing field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I think it speaks to the value of dollar as well. And the low interest rates. The trillions recently pumped onto the economy have to go somewhere.

Probably a lot of boomer money being inherited that serves as down payments. So, all those nursing home deaths served some purpose.

Inherited Boomer Money..... efffing brilliant....you are absolutely correct.....that and the wallet is feeling fatter with the unspent stimulus money.

Time to start shorting everything me thinks.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

$1400 in Stimmie Bucks really isn't much in the scheme of things. Not enough to make someone say, "Oh, now I can buy that McMansion!" The stock market is still up, meaning; well, no one really knows what that means in Fakeville, USA. People are buying and selling lots of stocks, so money is flowing, or the promise of money is flowing. You can't buy a sheet of plywood with e-shares of Microsoft, you have to cash out. And I don't think Lowe's Depot accepts Bitcoin yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    $1400 in Stimmie Bucks really isn't much in the scheme of things. Not enough to make someone say, "Oh, now I can buy that McMansion!" The stock market is still up, meaning; well, no one really knows what that means in Fakeville, USA. People are buying and selling lots of stocks, so money is flowing, or the promise of money is flowing. You can't buy a sheet of plywood with e-shares of Microsoft, you have to cash out. And I don't think Lowe's Depot accepts Bitcoin yet.
    But 1400 extra bucks in your wallet can change your attitude......

That said....what is your point?

Blog Entries

The point is, the economy seems to be doing well, despite the monkey wrenches in the works.

Blog Entries

And I don't think Lowe's Depot accepts Bitcoin yet.
    Most of this bitcoin stuff is crap - It still takes a min to 1.5 min to validate the coin (or parts of a coin) and as they math gets harder the time takes longer. Imagine awkwardly staring at your shoes, the line, the cashier, the ceiling, as your coin take that long to clear at checkout..

I would not doubt that parental equity is being passed down to millennials to buy in this silly market

Up here you don't have the 20% you have a couple 10's of thousands of mortgage insurance to buy and you can't borrow to more than 35% of your gross income. While prices are way up it is (somewhat) back stopped. But still I see a 20% haircut in the next 2 yrs, maybe 3.

When the crash comes here it will be when 1.9% becomes 3.5%

The guy told us that it was an Indian couple that bought it (the place 2 doors down). I have a 50/50 feeling it will be another 5 or 6 room rental by end summer.

Out of the 6 houses that I know of that sold on our street the last 2 yrs only one remained a single family dwelling - Oh wait - 7 houses and 2 as single family - But you get the gist.

It will raise the blood pressure of our cranky neighbour again. It started when all those foreigners started to move in 25 yrs ago .(us)

Blog Entries

A bunch of houses in our hood cracked the $200k ceiling, and I just don't get it. It's nice that ours is worth 3-4x what we paid for it 24 years ago, but if we sell it we couldn't build or buy anything comparable.

Blog Entries

The US dollar has been the international standard for exchange for some while now, after displacing the British pound. It has served the US gov'mint well at a tool for sanctioning wayward nations - as judged by the US' top dogs. (Which has pissed off many.) But since the current regime began dumping trillions into the economy to rectify the covid fiasco that they fully exploited to gain power, we reach an historic milestone. Current monetary theory be damned, all knew inflation was coming, and it's only just begun. So where do the rich put their money: gold, real estate? It's cryptocurrency.

The total amount of cryptocurrency in circulation now exceeds the total of US dollars in circulation - worldwide.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post

The total amount of cryptocurrency in circulation now exceeds the total of US dollars in circulation - worldwide.
    The word "circulation" is a questionable choice. At the moment it (the crypto space) is inhabited by highwaymen, charlatans and gangsters. Until you can buy a Coke and a Sammich it is a gimmick.

E.G. if society goes to hell in a handbasket so does internet access. No internet your cryptocurrency is useless. Preppers don't seem to grasp this.

Blog Entries

The word "circulation" is a questionable choice. At the moment it (the crypto space) is inhabited by highwaymen, charlatans and gangsters. Until you can buy a Coke and a Sammich it is a gimmick.

E.G. if society goes to hell in a handbasket so does internet access. No internet your cryptocurrency is useless. Preppers don't seem to grasp this.

I gotta say....I really think Bill is correct on this.....this cryptocrap is a house of cards.

Blog Entries

The question to ask is, who gains from selling cryptocurrency to "investors"? Joe Schmo sends a thousand dollars to Cryptos R Us, gets some kind of coded thingy saying he now owns some crypto, where did his dollars go?

Same place your carbon credit funds go?

The scams just get bigger and bigger every year...

Blog Entries

The scams just get bigger and bigger every year...
    There have been two facebook marketplace listings for those mining cubes. That would be a main board where 5 or 6 very powerfull video cards are mounted. You plug it in the all and off it chugs making crypto coins.

Just one small problem - You input $100 in electricity and get between $80 to $90 worth of coins out and you gave the guy $2000 for the box. . It is like high tech lottery.

Apparently home coin mining was not a positive contribution for the last 3 yrs.

In other news, Gordie got on the boat Monday (our Sunday) and will arrive in BC June 13

At work, a while back we had a contractor that hid one of these mining rigs in a datacenter where he thought nobody would find it. It was found, he was fired, and we use it now to crack passwords instead.

There have been two facebook marketplace listings for those mining cubes. That would be a main board where 5 or 6 very powerfull video cards are mounted. You plug it in the all and off it chugs making crypto coins.

Just one small problem - You input $100 in electricity and get between $80 to $90 worth of coins out and you gave the guy $2000 for the box. . It is like high tech lottery.

In other news, Gordie got on the boat Monday (our Sunday) and will arrive in BC June 13

Blog Entries

Seems like it was designed that way, to cost more than it generates so the "miners" can charge fees. It would take us 1500 KWH to spend $100 in electricity. We used 600 KWH in April.

OTOH, it costs the US Mint 2.41 cents to make one penny, so who's the real scammer?

Blog Entries

... it costs the US Mint 2.41 cents to make one penny, so who's the real scammer?
    Save your pennies. I had a piggy bank full of steel pennies (WWII) once, plus I had some Indian-head pennies. All were stolen.

Hey, pennies use to be solid copper (alloy?). Now all coins are sandwich with zinc (alloy).

By the bye, I got a letter from J.R. Biden Jr., White House header - altho in an envelope from the IRS in Austin. Flip side in Spanish: Mi compatriota,. It says, roughly, you got $600 in Dec., $1,400 in Mar., and now, as part of the American Rescue Plan, you'll get $4,200 by direct deposit.

I believe he just earned my vote.

Blog Entries

He doesn't need your vote, he has Dominion. He'll take it anyway.

Blog Entries

Hey, pennies use to be solid copper (alloy?). Now all coins are sandwich with zinc (alloy).
    We ditched the Penny in 2012. We just round up or down with Cash payments and charged actual with Check, Debit or Credit.

Ditched $2 bill in 1994ish for a coin.

Ditched the $1 for a coin in '88

You guys should do the same.

Save your pennies. I had a piggy bank full of steel pennies (WWII) once, plus I had some Indian-head pennies. All were stolen.

By the bye, I got a letter from J.R. Biden Jr., White House header - altho in an envelope from the IRS in Austin. Flip side in Spanish: Mi compatriota,. It says, roughly, you got $600 in Dec., $1,400 in Mar., and now, as part of the American Rescue Plan, you'll get $4,200 by direct deposit.

I believe he just earned my vote.

Rug rats paying their way.
    We do live in interesting times.

Those baby mamas are going to see a lot of acción over the next few months as the various fathers stop by for their cut.

Blog Entries

We tried a dollar coin, but people wanted to hoard it for coin collections instead of spending them. I don’t carry coins around, so it’s not ideal to me. I barely even use cash, but I do use it so keepa you hands offa. I’m not going all digital.

Blog Entries

We tried a dollar coin, but people wanted to hoard it for coin collections instead of spending them.
    Yea - the narrative up here is that they used Susan as an example and dropped the paper dollar the same time as dollar coin so there was not a choice.

But being a second rate currency allows us to make choices that the world reserve currency can not.

There is talk of dropping the $5 bill for a coin now.

I bought bit coin once to pay an IPTV bill - A criminal enterprise - ergo the association.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast