Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

Speaking of cajas, anybody know of a company in Las Vegas that ships to Nic?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Everything seems to come out of Miami.

But one is supposedly now consolidating, which could be helpful.

I've shipped both directly from the vendor to the forwarder, in one case from China.

My usual mode of business was to ship one of those big Costco tough bins with a customs declaration on the outside of the bin.
    I secured the bins with tyraps, and they were never cut. Everything arrived intact.

You can get an USPS online account for the asking and the savings using the account to generate your label is substantial.
    I'd consolidate and then ship the bin to Miami.

What would be really slick would be for someone to consolidate transparently,, you could use Amazon Prime, Walmart, and ship free to Miami.
    One of the shippers includes delivery to Estelí in his $8 /lb price. I haven't done this for a while,, but I heard that Optima Cargo, the one I use, raised their minimum to $50. It's still 2.50 /pound I believe, and you pay when you pick it up in MGA, I always get hit with some small customs charges.

Optima will deliver to Estelí for a flat $35, which has always seemed a lot to me.

But as I said,, I haven't done it for a while so check their site for latest info.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure are companies forwarding Amazon stuff via Miami, check on the FB expat pgs.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    But as I said,, I haven't done it for a while so check their site for latest info.
    I doubt any of those could ship a 2 foot cube, to Managua, from Ontario, at 100lbs, for $125 US including clearing.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

No,, that is an excellent price, especially since you don't have to ship it somewhere first. Tucson to Miami is across the country, not cheap.

USPS had the best price since I no longer had a business relationship with UPS or FexEx.

I need another grinder too,, EPCA has a 8" Truper for about $140.
    McGregor has the Metabo brand,, but they are pricey.

"Metabo" is the word used for any grinder in Nicaragua.

Blog Entries

I need another grinder too,, EPCA has a 8" Truper for about $140.
    McGregor has the Metabo brand,, but they are pricey.

"Metabo" is the word used for any grinder in Nicaragua.
    Have you checked out the new Faux Harbour Freight in Managua? https://www.facebook.com/SuperHerramientas505

3700 cord for a 6"
    https://www.facebook.com/commerce/pr..._page_card_cta

Dying to get there, hasn't worked out.
    Have to get a trip to MGA without Shelley,, she doesn't have much tolerance for Harbor Freight.

Sebastián loved the place. He has an engineer's mind, curious about how everything works. Weiner Schnitzel was just across the street,, we'd fortify ourselves with a chili cheese dog and fries before we began the big adventure

Plus, they have a very small toy section,, he has them all.
    Maybe be was just playing me ?

Friend bought the 2000 watt Predator inverter generator for same price as list in US.

Blog Entries

Cajas are a different thing. they are 30 inch boxes full of used/family things you have a right to ship customs-free every 6 months. From L.A. they went by ship for $275 in about a month. but, I don't go to L.A. anymore.

Blog Entries

With us Canucks hitting 73% first dose and 24% second dose there is talk of limited border reopening to be announced later in the week .Maybe Friday.

Now Chilo is saying if we can drive to the artic (James bay) why can't we drive to Vagas <shrug> She has a point. Mind you the Artic is closer.

At work a big A$$ crate was fabricated by a customer for one of the returning cameras that was not of standard size . I took the utility trailer to work and snagged it - I now have a 3'x3' x 4' crate with 1-1/4" decking to load up with stuffs to go down - One of the "stuffs" is a 10" - 2hp grinder (Tim the tool man grunt) that weighs about 75lbs. An old craftsman table saw as well.

I got my first 100Ah LiFePO4 cells from battery hookup - These are $250 for 4 cells and 1.2Kwhrs. It looks like they will be a regular product the these guys which is good.

If the test kit works good I will load up on more for the house - I think 5Kwh (48V @ 100A) will be just the ticket for the house with a littl gas generator shared between brothe in law and us for our respective tool shops. In the next box I may just drop one of these cells in to see how Aduna treats them . The test box will end up being a camping source for the truck - Next step is to get a pannel or two together for charging it. Not that I will need to charge it much as driving to a camp site will provide more than enough energy to keep it topped, but to be solar scooled over and above what young Will teaches me on Youtube.

https://batteryhookup.com/products/n...000mah-cells-1

There a a lot of 360 / 380W panels on the market now - The unfortunate thing is that are far to big to ship to Niclandia - Up on the island sure, but either shipping or hauling them down not so much. May have to stick with 100X panels for Masaya.

I'm seeing cheap panels here, direct from China.

I saw a decent sized system with controllers and batteries for $13K installed.
    Controllers were cheezy looking, and the batteries aren't going to last long if they are discharged much and often. They were AGM , looked like designed for cell tower use.

That guy in Gilbert , AZ is almost giving some of his away. Santander, I think.

Blog Entries

I saw a decent sized system with controllers and batteries for $13K installed.
    And that is what I am looking to avoid - If I can get 10 panels (About 1KW) in a box and down there for less than 1K US , and do that twice, maybe a 3rd time (2 to 3kw of panels) with 4 to 5kw of batteries I _should_ be good.

Now if I find 380W panels in Managua for $280 to $300 ea then the shipping bit makes it a wash - But the single data point I have, from something like 8 months ago, was that 380's were almost $400 US at that time.

Blog Entries

Chilo showed me a Photo from DOOOOOOOGLAAAAs (Douglas but we extend it in jest). Douglas is a part of BIL Daniels failed extended family - His former Wife's Brother. Welfare and EI cheat, wife beater and all around opportunist. Just slime in my book.

Anyways - back on story - he has got himself a cab over 24' Isuzu with no box and on that he has a Mazda 9 strapped on with the rims and tires inside and every square inch onside the cab stuffed. Not sure what it is with that side of the family - they just seem to love Mazda's - I like Mazda as well but with zero support in Nicaragua I have no idea why you would bring them in.

Douglas was the guy who brought in my little Mazda 2200 back in '05 and then wrapped around a pole - I suspect he is going to bring down the pair and sell it off for another year or two of Nica-Living.

The only reason he comes up here is to get the health care, being a dual citizen..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I got my first 100Ah LiFePO4 cells from battery hookup - These are $250 for 4 cells and 1.2Kwhrs. It looks like they will be a regular product the these guys which is good.
    The BMS showed up today (or at least the Tracking reported delivered) so I should have it together by the weekend - There are a couple tool boxes I am looking at to house it with some monitoring and fan cooling.

I just realized I have to get some Big A$$ fuses to install with it now..

The Galloper _should_ be sitting on a dock in BC now - The boat (The only car carrying boat) that lines with the delivery data of June 13 left port at 2AM pacific time. It would have been nice to drive it across Canada but they only stopped inter provincial non essential travel today (e.g. equivalent to Cops at the state line in the US). I know Americans would recoil in horror at that but we were Men- SO be it..

Blog Entries

Are you saying that a Canadian citizen can / could not drive from one province to another if he felt like it because of Covid?

"It would have been nice to drive it across Canada but they only stopped inter provincial non essential travel today (e.g. equivalent to Cops at the state line in the US). I know Americans would recoil in horror at that but we were Men- SO be it.."
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Seems they have tighter gun laws and fewer people on Meth, keep your ass at home should be their new slogan,
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Are you saying that a Canadian citizen can / could not drive from one province to another if he felt like it because of Covid?

"It would have been nice to drive it across Canada but they only stopped inter provincial non essential travel today (e.g. equivalent to Cops at the state line in the US). I know Americans would recoil in horror at that but we were Men- SO be it.."

YES !! For the past 3 months "Zome Von who dit not have zee proper papers ver zent back!" Zeig hiel...

You could fly though..

Winterpeg free press

Blog Entries

Oh - And corrected...

"It would have been nice to drive it across Canada but they only stopped BLOCKING inter provincial non essential travel today (e.g. equivalent to Cops at the state line in the US). I know Americans would recoil in horror at that but we were Men- SO be it.."

Up to today you could not drive Ontario to Quebec or Ontario to Manitoba. Previous to that you could not drive from Quebec to the 4 atlantic provinces they called that the "Atlantic bubble" - That was in place since the very start of this shite show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Bubble

Australia, New Zeeland and some EU states had similar regulations over the last 15 months

Blog Entries

OK, Bill.....whatever.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

LCT you do not get it, is not in their Constitution that can haul Meth and Guns across State Borders, is a God Given Right for us.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    LCT you do not get it, is not in their Constitution that can haul Meth and Guns across State Borders, is a God Given Right for us.

Meh - Based more on the Magna Carta - Every thing is legal, until it is not...

But one thing that is missed is that a Canadian province has, on balance, more power to its self determination than a US state. It was the province that made the decision to close the border and the Feds were powerless (Both legally and power of public opinion) to change it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

We import illegal guns and export Meth and legal guns ..

Fun Fact - the Colt Canada plant is less that 2KM from our house.

https://www.coltcanada.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Canada

Blog Entries

Guns save lives...

Seems there is a vestige of state rights in the US--Hawaii has covid requirements for entry. Much was lost by giving citizenship to slaves and later the 17th amendment which stripped the States' right to name their own senators.

Blog Entries

Silver lining to every cloud.

SIL Herminia and Oscar (who I typed about being downsized a couple months back) dropped by yesterday - The new owners of the buildings contacted them on whether they wanted to start on their old jobs the first day of ownership. A buck an hour more with similar benefits. So they got the generous severance and a raise at the same time.

The old ownership of the buildings have decided to just give away all of the non fixed assets - Trucks , shovels, snow blowers, sinks, etc etc... Chilo put dibs on two toilets (Good thing is they are new, not used) and has asked for the ATV - The ATV may be a stretch - But who knows - ATV would be fantastic for the place up north.

The Galloper has passed through customs and its ride on a train is being arranged today. I may have it by Canada day. Its arrival should make the drive down seem more real.. If DOS and Rosario do not kill the trip.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Silver lining to every cloud.

SIL Herminia and Oscar (who I typed about being downsized a couple months back) dropped by yesterday - The new owners of the buildings contacted them on whether they wanted to start on their old jobs the first day of ownership. A buck an hour more with similar benefits. So they got the generous severance and a raise at the same time.

The old ownership of the buildings have decided to just give away all of the non fixed assets - Trucks , shovels, snow blowers, sinks, etc etc... Chilo put dibs on two toilets (Good thing is they are new, not used) and has asked for the ATV - The ATV may be a stretch - But who knows - ATV would be fantastic for the place up north.

The Galloper has passed through customs and its ride on a train is being arranged today. I may have it by Canada day. Its arrival should make the drive down seem more real.. If DOS and Rosario do not kill the trip.
    I am pulling for You and Your Fam. my friend!
    Where are You guys planning on settling EVENTUALLY? once things settle which THEY WILL.

Blog Entries

Chilo wanted to just go for a drive yesterday. We went out to Jordan station, then to Niagara on the lake and gazed at the American side. This on the eastern end of the Niagara river.

The parks were chalk full of people and mask usage was at about 30%. While most were keeping 6' away a lot were not. While the vax rate is 75% for toronto and 72% for the province as a whole.

We then trucked on past the hydro dams and did a loop past the falls and then took the back roads back to the park.

Getting back to the park we found out that Adam had managed the strength to come up. Adam drove truck for a wast chemical company for 24 years - He and his wife Julie , with anothe couple Jay and Deb, invited us to go with them to Cuba back Feb 2020.

In May of 2020, a couple hours after I helped him unload a truck full of fire wood, he had a stroke. THe Dr's told him it was 33 strokes. As of now he can talk via an electronic talk box and is in a wheel chair. He is determined to get to both our house in Masaya and the Cabin on the island and he has the drive to do so.

We finally got the list of materials from Jimmi for floor #2 on Friday. Works out to $1700 of materials which sounds OK. Work should start Monday or Tuesday. The Bougianvillas are supposidly doing fantastic and pictures will be sent

The Galloper passed customs Thursday, the transport company contacted me Friday morning and all of the paperwork is done. It just needs to sit tight for the last 4,400km ride.

My boss called me to her office Thursday. Back about 3 yrs ago one fellow working for me asked for a transfer to another division and he was never replaced. My boss is now asking for that person to be replaced again. We discussed my plans for split time work again and she actually realised how close it was. As well she said that the company as a whole is having a real hard time to retain experianced people as many in their mid 50's and early 60 are looking to leave. It is the leaving that kills them, they are actually very pleased to offer long term employees part time employment - If I can finaggle 6 months on, 6 months off in 2023, or even 2022 - I would be really happy.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast