Thread: Cooking 101...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Cooking 101...

Learning is a constant in life and learning new skills is what keeps me sane living in Nicaragua. I spent a third of my life in commercial kitchens and now our homestead in Nicaragua is providing me with the opportunity to learn a whole new way of cooking. 'Course I'm jumping in with both feet! The outdoor kitchen I've designed

will be run on leña, or firewood, with only a small propane tank connected to a wok station to back me up should dinner go awry. Rainy season is winding down now and it's time to get back to my cooking with fire lessons.
    My test kitchen is a story in itself, but it allows me some of the room I need and an opportunity to play with fire with a minimum of burns. Actually, it's done wonders for tweaking my final grill design. I may not yet know exactly what I want, but I sure know what design aspects I don't want!

Roger's dinner of teriyaki pork chops, taters n' onions, cabbage n' bacon, and homemade sesame rolls warmed on the grill let me know I'm doing well in class, at least a "B" anyway. :wink:

Lookin' forward to getting in my outdoor kitchen and improving that grade!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Default Great Pictures!

Looks delicious!

But I have all kinds of questions! Just a few are:

The cast-iron skillets - did you buy them in Nicaragua? What about a Dutch oven? Do you also do your corn bread in a skillet?

The wok station - will this be a small two burner imported-from-China gas wok cooker? (I'm wondering if it's similar to what I have here in China or will it be your own design?)
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Default LOOKS

DELICIOUS!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

all kinds of questions! Just a few are:

The cast-iron skillets - did you buy them in Nicaragua? What about a Dutch oven? Do you also do your corn bread in a skillet?
    I bought one cast iron skillet from a used pots and pans vendor in Jinotepe, right by the main church, a little over $4. My cast iron dutch oven was bought down here at Sinsa, $20 or there 'bouts. OF COURSE, I make my corn bread in a skillet! Is there any other way??? CAINSA finally makes a good bacon now, one with great marbling and I get lots of tasty bacon fat for corn bread-making every time I make Roger's breakfast.

The wok station - will this be a small two burner imported-from-China gas wok cooker? (I'm wondering if it's similar to what I have here in China or will it be your own design?)
    My wok station is of my own design. I am sanding a large chunk of tree right now to be the table top. This will be connected to a brick wok station with 4 feet total of counter space and a two foot section with a round opening for my wok pan and adjustable shelves underneath for the one burner propane unit the I intend to put underneath. I think I'll be making concrete counter tops, colored with local dyes, but I have yet to teach myself that. Too many other projects going on! Plus I gotta fit in time for beer-drinking, ya' know! :wink:
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

OF COURSE, I make my corn bread in a skillet! Is there any other way???
    Amen! Roger is truly a lucky man!

My wok station is of my own design. I am sanding a large chunk of tree right now to be the table top. This will be connected to a brick wok station with 4 feet total of counter space and a two foot section with a round opening for my wok pan and adjustable shelves underneath for the one burner propane unit the I intend to put underneath.
    As work progresses, be sure and provide us with more pictures also.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cooking 101...

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    I bought one cast iron skillet from a used pots and pans vendor in Jinotepe, right by the main church, a little over $4. My cast iron dutch oven was bought down here at Sinsa, $20 or there 'bouts. OF COURSE, I make my corn bread in a skillet! Is there any other way??? CAINSA finally makes a good bacon now, one with great marbling and I get lots of tasty bacon fat for corn bread-making every time I make Roger's breakfast.

My wok station is of my own design. I am sanding a large chunk of tree right now to be the table top. This will be connected to a brick wok station with 4 feet total of counter space and a two foot section with a round opening for my wok pan and adjustable shelves underneath for the one burner propane unit the I intend to put underneath. I think I'll be making concrete counter tops, colored with local dyes, but I have yet to teach myself that. Too many other projects going on! Plus I gotta fit in time for beer-drinking, ya' know! :wink:
    I inherited a set of four cast iron cookware from a missionary couple that were going to somewhere else and gave them to me. Nobody touches them in my home but me and nothing coats them after use than Hog Lard... I wouldn't trade them for all the alunimum stuff in all of Nicaragua. Nothing cooks so good to me.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I inherited a set of four cast iron cookware from a missionary couple that were going to somewhere else and gave them to me. Nobody touches them in my home but me and nothing coats them after use than Hog Lard... I wouldn't trade them for all the alunimum stuff in all of Nicaragua. Nothing cooks so good to me.....
    You are so right about the lard! I once tried to season a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil; just doesn't work!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And I DO NOT want it washed with soap, I clense it with heat when I use it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...